I've never heard an Opeth song. What's a good one to start me off?

Well now, after almost every Opeth song has probably been mentioned, I will post up the first song I ever heard, which blew me away, and might do the same for you (assuming you have not downloaded anything mentioned above, nor listened to the posts of anyone else, and that you will take my advice for some odd reason) is Forest of October.

Black Rose Immortal is too hard to get into for a beginner. The Moor and Godhead's Lament, listen to them consecutively as if they were one... and together they are teh best Opeth song ever... as one... hehe.

If not that then Demon of the Fall. But as far as songs without growls go I'd have to say Face of Melinda's the best in that section.

just btw, I fucking hate Angra.

I didn't like BRI for a very long time... it was Bleak that got me into Opeth but now I like the CD Blackwater Park the least. it was Bleak and The Drapery Falls... but I do agree that Black Rose Immortal is an awesome and very epic song, and is due much praise. :p

Ok, I didn't listen to every song... woulda taken WAY too long to download, so instead I just listened to the first song told. The Moor.

Well I will admit I like the band a lot but excluding the singer.

I didn't know Opeth was death metal. I'm not a fan of death metal singing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the singing outside of the grunting type singing. I just don't like death metal singing.

Great band otherwise though.

-Kronikle

I didn't like BRI for a very long time... it was Bleak that got me into Opeth but now I like the CD Blackwater Park the least. it was Bleak and The Drapery Falls... but I do agree that Black Rose Immortal is an awesome and very epic song, and is due much praise. :p
Same here... I liked Opeth at first but "Bleak" made me really get into them...

Blackout said:
Same here... I liked Opeth at first but "Bleak" made me really get into them...
Bleak is an excellent song, one of my favorite from Opeth. As for the song that got me into them, I would say that Patterns In The Ivy does it; especially for the mellow intro. I was very into Pink Floyd at that time, so maybe it explains why...

Originally posted by Changso
As for the song that got me into them, I would say that Patterns In The Ivy does it; especially for the mellow intro. I was very into Pink Floyd at that time, so maybe it explains why...
That, and the beginning of Dirge for November, if I remember correctly :p

Reactions: changso
Blackout said:
As for the song that got me into them, I would say that Patterns In The Ivy does it; especially for the mellow intro. I was very into Pink Floyd at that time, so maybe it explains why...[/QUOTE]

That, and the beginning of DIrge for November, if I remember correctly :p
FUCK why did I say Patterns In The Ivy aha. I meant Dirge for November!!!
You do clearly remember Blackout! We were at our local future shop we were like:
- Aha Opeth aha what a funny name but hey the cover is cool let's listen to it
(Dirge for November plays)
- WOAHHH that's totally cool
- Heck yeah!!!!!!!
- DAMNNNN NOOOOOO, They ruined the song with those ugly vocals!!!!!!!!!!why are they screaming like this, it's ridiculous!!!

:lol:

changso said:
You do clearly remember Blackout! We were at our local future shop we were like:
- Aha Opeth aha what a funny name but hey the cover is cool let's listen to it
(Dirge for November plays)
- WOAHHH that's totally cool
- Heck yeah!!!!!!!
- DAMNNNN NOOOOOO, They ruined the song with those ugly vocals!!!!!!!!!!why are they screaming like this, it's ridiculous!!!

:lol:
Yeah, we were such elitists (maybe even more than now, only in a crappier way :lol: )

And then you got all into Opeth and growl vocals and stuff and your influence CORRUPTED ME !

Not that I mind though :devil:

Kronikle66 said:
Ok, I didn't listen to every song... woulda taken WAY too long to download, so instead I just listened to the first song told. The Moor.

Well I will admit I like the band a lot but excluding the singer.

I didn't know Opeth was death metal. I'm not a fan of death metal singing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the singing outside of the grunting type singing. I just don't like death metal singing.

Great band otherwise though.

-Kronikle

The vocals grows on you, that's for sure. You just need to listen to them for a while then after a while you'll be able to handle them, then after a little while longer, you don't mind them, and after you've become a grim nekro metaller like myself you will love them.

But if you want to be the close-minded person and just give up on it, then it's your loss. You're gonna miss alot of great music if you don't, as some of the best bands uses growled vocals.