I've never heard an Opeth song. What's a good one to start me off?

Try listening to In Flames, or someone with kinder death vocals. They'll grow on you in time. I wouldn't have started with The Moor (way overrated). The Leper Affinity is the better place to start. It's got everything.

hej said:
The vocals grows on you, that's for sure. You just need to listen to them for a while then after a while you'll be able to handle them, then after a little while longer, you don't mind them, and after you've become a grim nekro metaller like myself you will love them.
Oh so true!

Give the growls some time and you will never come to terms with "clean voices" again. :)

as what everyone said "let the death metal growl grow on you", my first song that i listened to that got me into the whole death growl was Dying Fetus-"Nothing Left To Pray For." and that was about a year and 2 months to this day that i was first introduced into the underground thing. but anyway's at least you gave them a try and that's what counts the most out of the whole thing. sure you might not like the band that well but and aleast you have something more different than nu-metal. but what hej said "you'll need to listen to them for awhile and then you can handle, don't mind, and then love em'." but if you download most of they're songs and then shuffle most of them and play em' on WinAmp 3 or what you use, i'll get into them pretty quick like.

Kronikle66 said:
Ok, I didn't listen to every song... woulda taken WAY too long to download, so instead I just listened to the first song told. The Moor.

Well I will admit I like the band a lot but excluding the singer.

I didn't know Opeth was death metal. I'm not a fan of death metal singing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the singing outside of the grunting type singing. I just don't like death metal singing.

Great band otherwise though.

-Kronikle
That's as expected, don't listen to anybody else just download Face of Melinda. There are no death growls in that song, it's purely progressive metal. That's what Opeth are, progressive black death metal, they're not just death as a lot of the styles of their songs vary... but as you get used to them their music loses its charm (a long while down the road) and it isn't as amazing anymore, and so diverse, it's just Opeth after a while. Just listen to Face of Melinda to hear how awesome Opeth plays music, then once you're ready to get into the growls listen to songs like Karma and Demon of the Fall and Godhead's Lament, those songs will show you how awesome growls can be. :p You've really gotta give the death vocals a chance, because if you do they will grow on you. This coming from someone who persisted that any song that used death vocals would sound perfectly fine if sang clean for the longest time.

Kronikle66 said:
I'm not being close minded. I gave Opeth a fair try. I like the dark mood and the like I just don't care for the vocals.

-Kronikle

Oh, you're beeing close-minded. If you would be open minded you would listen to what we tell you here, that NOONE likes growls the first times they hear them, they DO take time to grow on you, and if I may quote myself: "But if you want to be the close-minded person and just give up on it, then it's your loss. You're gonna miss alot of great music if you do, as some of the best bands uses growled vocals."

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Kronikle66
Ok, I didn't listen to every song... woulda taken WAY too long to download, so instead I just listened to the first song told. The Moor.

Well I will admit I like the band a lot but excluding the singer.

I didn't know Opeth was death metal. I'm not a fan of death metal singing.

Don't get me wrong, I like the singing outside of the grunting type singing. I just don't like death metal singing.

Great band otherwise though.

-Kronikle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symphony X(evolution) got me into metal, which in turn led to Opeth(A Fair Judgement), Opeth got me into death type metal, which led to black, astral, etc etc

whatever youre into its all good, people have their own tastes

hej, I don't know how choosing a band from a forum I've never listened to, wanting to like them, downloading a song from them that was recommended, then giving my opinion is close minded.

Maybe I will give the growls a try.

-Kronikle

hej said:
The vocals grows on you, that's for sure. You just need to listen to them for a while then after a while you'll be able to handle them, then after a little while longer, you don't mind them, and after you've become a grim nekro metaller like myself you will love them.
Trust me this is true. The first time I listened to Opeth I was very discouraged by the vox, but in time I didn't mind them, then I liked them, and now I love them. And thats almost the same story everyone else has here. So give the vox some time to soak in, a good amount of listens, then if you still don't like them, then you forget about Opeth, but theres a good chance you'll grow to at least be able to tolerate them enough to appriciate Opeths great music.

Kronikle66 said:
hej, I don't know how choosing a band from a forum I've never listened to, wanting to like them, downloading a song from them that was recommended, then giving my opinion is close minded.

Maybe I will give the growls a try.

-Kronikle

Yes, very good of you, but comeon, "Wanting to like them"? Haha, if you wanted to like them you wouldn't have given up on the first listen, and especially since practicly EVERYONE here on this board have said the same thing, that growls TAKES TIME TO GROW ON YOU, and you are most likely no exception, you just need some patience like all of us others have had with growls. (I'm repeating myself, but I'm just telling the truth)

I just listend to Opeth - Face of Melinda.

First half:
Very good. Very dark atmosphere while keeping a slow evil mood.

Even though the guitar seems a bit... off (?), still very good.

Second Half:
Very good as well. Little hard to hear the voice though. It's like the first dark atmosphere except harder.

Overall, I enjoyed this song. Any more like it?

-Kronikle

Kronikle66 said:
I just listend to Opeth - Face of Melinda.

First half:
Very good. Very dark atmosphere while keeping a slow evil mood.

Even though the guitar seems a bit... off (?), still very good.

Second Half:
Very good as well. Little hard to hear the voice though. It's like the first dark atmosphere except harder.

Overall, I enjoyed this song. Any more like it?

-Kronikle
To Bid You Farewell and A Fair Judgement both are Opeth songs with no growling, but still have heavy moments...

Guardian of Darkness said:
NOBODY likes growls at first, I know I didn't. Now they've become an integral part of music for me.
My first growled song I listened to was In Flames Jotun and I didn't care for the growls at all, but I was so hugged by the melody that I had to buy The Jester Race (because Whoracle wasn't out, yet) and when I showed it to my sister, she said "Huh, that's Satanism!" :D

The Leper Affinity, it was my first Opeth song. Never really liked growls, but these were so damn good I could't dislike it. I still think Mike's the best growler around!