Giving up the guitar

Öwen;8995135 said:
Fucking hell dude, that's not impressive, you can tell he's missing like every second note :lol:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone play as fast as him, those sweeps half way through are incredible :D

That's the thing man - seen? You're admiring this with your eyes, not with your ears, if you listened properly you'd see it's just fucking dross dude, slow it down you'll hear he misses half of what he's trying to play, sloppiness is not something to aspire to, in this case it doesnt even sound cool. That's why no one gives a shit outside a youtube video.

I agree about mattias technique, BUT, Rusty is the fastest guitarist ever!!!

And if a guy like that, was in a serious band...(i only like the warcry song)

That would be the end of shred

I am 100% sure that both Mattias and Magnus both can play just as fast as Rusty.
Mattias played some pretty sick stuff at the clinic i was at, couldnt find anything similar with him on youtube though.

Guthrie Govan. End thread.

Shawn Lane, Steve Morse & Vinnie Moore. End thread. ;)

This. Speaking as someone that's had the displeasure of working with him and speaking with him on a regular basis. He was actually much more enjoyable to listen to in the old days (early 90's)...but was still full of himself then too.

Wow, sounds like he was a nice guy(ahuhuhuhuhu). ;)
But seriously, his playing reminds me of Vinnie Vincents solos:

Last edited by a moderator:
Guthrie can comfortable handle anything Rusty could do, although 10 times cleaner and more precise and with actual good note choice and phrasing and WAY better vibrato and none of those occasional out of tune bends Rusty does.
As far as I'm concerned. Guthrie is THE most technically skilled guitarist in rock right now. Technique meaning not just speed, but vibrato, bends, slides etc

For christ sake the della Vega video has LONG since been debunked.
The guy was proven as not being able to hit every note.
The worst thing about it, is the song is musical is at the tempo it's intended to be at.
Once you start goosing up the tempo to warp speed, it loses all the musicality and feel, making it a totally pointless exercise

Guthrie can comfortable handle anything Rusty could do, although 10 times cleaner and more precise and with actual good note choice and phrasing and WAY better vibrato and none of those occasional out of tune bends Rusty does.
As far as I'm concerned. Guthrie is THE most technically skilled guitarist in rock right now. Technique meaning not just speed, but vibrato, bends, slides etc

You are right about almost everything but dont say shit about Rusty being sloppy. At the speed that he plays with all that gain, he is super clean. Guthrie doesnt use half of the gain.

None mentioned Batio?;)

I like Mattias, he puts humor and crazy technics into his stuff, which is awesome. And hes congenial as hell, I went to 6-7 clinics at Frankfurt and it was never boring.

And whats up with herrman li? He misses completely every note... Why does he do workshops?

You are right about almost everything but dont say shit about Rusty being sloppy. At the speed that he plays with all that gain, he is super clean. Guthrie doesnt use half of the gain.

I wasn't talking strictly about him not hitting notes as such when doing fast runs, but out of tune vibrato and bends counts as sloppy too.
Plenty of times where Rusty is seen in videos not bending totally in tune and also many videos where he doesn't even hit all the notes in fast runs either

None mentioned Batio?;)

I like Mattias, he puts humor and crazy technics into his stuff, which is awesome. And hes congenial as hell, I went to 6-7 clinics at Frankfurt and it was never boring.

And whats up with herrman li? He misses completely every note... Why does he do workshops?

Heh, the time I saw DragonForce live, Herman was actually not too bad, as hard to believe as it sounds . He actually nailed quite a few of his solos

+1

Rusty might do shit music and have pretty boring solos, but no one could say they aren't play tightly :D