Giving up the guitar

maybe JPs sweeping is not that good but the sound he has in his hands beats most of those speed-technique type shredders. His playing is just pleasant to listen to unlike most of those shredders that simply produce noise. That's what in my ears makes diffrence between JP, Joe Satriani, Vai and players like Rusty Cooley(which i hate with all my heart), Michael Angelo Batio, Yngwie.
That beign said, tight technical rhytm play>long wankery solos at any time, any day. At least you can play it in a song and it wont feel ,,forced''. That's why Loomis/Michael Romeo shine, they can shred but they also play kickass rhytm.

Yngwie? Really, dude? Yngwie may be a pompous ass (so I've heard, anyway), but he is a brilliant guitarist. Amazing technique and very expressive. The awesome shred you hear from Jeff Loomis (who almost everyone, including myself, loves) is directly coming from Becker, Friedman, and Malmsteen influences.

I love Satriani, not all that into Vai... Petrucci's okay and has written some awesome music, but he's written a lot of not so awesome music too...

Rusty Cooley is a way better player than most people give him credit for... He does get caught up in speed, but I think he's capable of blowing people away... he just needs to write some better songs. I'd love to hear him in a Nevermore style band... or even along side Loomis in Nevermore itself. You guys should check out his guitar too... seriously the best playing guitar I've ever touched...

Paul Gilbert and Ron Jarzombek are both awesome players. Marty Friedman is awesome. Jason Becker is a guitar god... it's really sad what happened to him.

Overall, Jeff Loomis is probably my favorite shredder right now... perfect combination of great songwriting, all out shred, expressive and melodic "feel" type leads (vibrato and tremolo usage), and heavy, technical metal riffing. For my tastes, the dude is probably the best guitarist on the planet.

I really like Guthrie Govan too... super talented, and I love his fusion type stuff, but not so into his blues and chicken pickin' type stuff (although still very impressive)... I'm just more into Loomis' style in general. That's actually one of the only styles I haven't heard Govan master... haha

I would rather listen to the sloppiest cunt in the world be creative and deeply self-expressive than watch Steve Vai or Rusty Cooley run up and down the fretboard at a thousand miles an hour. People can say what they want about Steve Vai's playing being expressive but they're WRONG, full fucking stop.

Damn, I wouldnt even put cooley in the same league as vai :cry: And to the bit about expression, vai has some beautiful stuff man! The comment about diversity is good though, I used to practice guitar far too much and it doesnt do what it did for my when i was 16. Im thinking of picking up a nice Roland kit at the moment!

I think that everything past "Passion and Warfare" sounds like he just wants to prove that he is the greatest guitarist in the world.. but before that he was really exploring how the guitar could be used, and he really expressed himself.
I mean, listen to "Blue Powder", those dips and stuff he does with the whammy is soooo out of tune, but it still sounds really sweet.. because he just plays.

I fail to hear the out of tune whammy parts. Mind telling which parts you mean? Just asking this because Vai is THE player when it comes to whammy bar.

Tryin to bring something new to the thread, I like Pat 'O Brien. Insane riffs, and great crazy-ass shredding.

You know, for the longest time whenever I heard the first solo on the song "42147" from Nevermore's "Politics of ecstasy" I thought "Wow! this Jeff Loomis dude is amazing, this must be the one of the most insanely awesome solos ever!". It wasn't until some months later that I heard cannibal corpse's "Gallery of suicide" that I recognized Pat O'Brien's unique style and realized that the solo on "42147" is actually his. At least I'm almost certain, there's no info in the CD booklet but it totally sounds like his solos on "gallery...".

I fail to hear the out of tune whammy parts. Mind telling which parts you mean? Just asking this because Vai is THE player when it comes to whammy bar.

0:38, 0:45-0:55 and more parts in the song.
And i know that, but there are allot of those mistakes in this song, that to me makes it sound more alive then his later stuff.

I officially win this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of the worlds worst band: Pixies!
Their guitarist always did shit like that live.. weird thing is that some people honestly think its amazing. D;