Giving up the guitar

I just always found humor is Rusty Cooley's name. When we were kids "cooley" was the word we used for "ass"

Rusty Ass :D

anyway, I love this chick

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather listen to the sloppiest cunt in the world be creative and deeply self-expressive than watch Steve Vai or Rusty Cooley run up and down the fretboard at a thousand miles an hour. People can say what they want about Steve Vai's playing being expressive but they're WRONG, full fucking stop.

To OP: If guitar playing is getting you down put it down for a while and grab some drum sticks and just mash around on the kit for a while. Then put the sticks down and grab a vocal mic and sing, then go play some funk bass or something, then learn how to play Saz, then start making music with your pint glasses and a spoon.
There's too many instruments out there to just call yourself a guitarist or a drummer or something man. I quit calling myself a guitarist or a vocalist or a durmmer long ago. I'm just a guy who plays music now. Go play a bunch of other shit for a while and you'll come back to guitar totally refreshed. I hop around as I please for various projects and ideas and I'm extremely musically content nowadays.
Fuck around with different genres too. I've been switching between writing acoustic/folk stuff at 4am, playing drums for a drone-doom jazz 2 piece and doing vocals for Slice The Cake. Don't compare yourself to anyone either. Every piece of music you output is going to naturally be a representation of who you are and where you're at during a given moment in time and the quality is going to fluctuate because of it. But that's a beautiful, beautiful thing and it deserves to be embraced rather than shunned.

Steve Vai's "Tender Surrender" is VERY expressive. Actually, I count Steve Vai as one of my top "shredder" guys who can interject emotion and expression.

Buckethead is the only shredder guy I have heard that is epicly expressive \o/

Buckethead is the only shredder guy I have heard that is epicly expressive o/

Wow... i hope that was a joke.
I find him expressive in the same way as some raver tripped on LSD tweaking oscillators to make sweeping sounds and wobbling noises. :lol:

But i agree somewhat about Vai, but his early stuff really was expressive and emotional(You can hear very much of Zappa's influence on him.), but everything past "Passion and Warfare" is boring.

Wow... i hope that was a joke.
I find him expressive in the same way as some raver tripped on LSD tweaking oscillators to make sweeping sounds and wobbling noises. :lol:

But i agree somewhat about Vai, but his early stuff really was expressive and emotional(You can hear very much of Zappa's influence on him.), but everything past "Passion and Warfare" is boring.

Everything past Passion and Warfare isn't pretty crap :D But he does have a lot of tone in his playing, Rusty Cooley just has lots of fast scales :lol:

I think that everything past "Passion and Warfare" sounds like he just wants to prove that he is the greatest guitarist in the world.. but before that he was really exploring how the guitar could be used, and he really expressed himself.
I mean, listen to "Blue Powder", those dips and stuff he does with the whammy is soooo out of tune, but it still sounds really sweet.. because he just plays.

And for you Zappa fans:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to love Flexable :D I listened to it again and again haha

I didn't really mean everything past Passion and Warfare was shit, but the real good stuff was before like you said :D I like Bad Horsie! The first and last Vai riff I learnt :D

was it only about who can play fastest?

I didn't think so ;)

At least now I know why Rusty has a Rusty Ass ...

what with your tongue up it and all hahahaha

oh wait, I meant "lol"