GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 1986

what are everyone's favourite/least favourite songs on SOMEWHERE IN TIME? there was a discussion on the RYM board and everyone seemed to have different picks.

My favorites are The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Deja Vu. Least favorite has to be Heaven Can Wait.

No order:

Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Metallica - Master of Puppets
King Diamond - Fatal Portrait
Nuclear Assault - Game Over
Voivod - Rrroooaaarrr
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Black Sabbath - Seventh Star
Crumbsuckers - Life of Dreams
Ludichrist - Immaculate Deception
Sacrifice - Torment In Fire

1. English Dogs - Where Legend Began
2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
3. Slayer - Reign in Blood
4. Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver
5. Preyer - Terminator
6. High Tension - Under Tension
7. Stormbringer - Life Sentence
8. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
9. Brainfever - Face to Face
10. King Diamond - Fatal Portrait

Threw the list together fairly quickly but I like it. Still some alright NWOBHM-type stuff coming out that year.

what are everyone's favourite/least favourite songs on SOMEWHERE IN TIME? there was a discussion on the RYM board and everyone seemed to have different picks.

Favorites are Wasted Years and Lonliness of a Long Distance Runner. Least favorite is Alexander the Great, but it's still a good song. I just find the lyrics to be a little too much like a history textbook, leading to absomewhat choppy vocal at times.

Like "Love Zone" from Judas Priest - Ram It Down, when taken out of the track list and judged on its own merits, "Sea of Madness" is fucking killer!

Last edited:
1. Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
2. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
3. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
4. Queensryche - Rage For Order
5. Sacred Blade - Of the Sun + Moon
6. Heir Apparent - graceful Inheritance
7. Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory
8. Helstar - Remenants of War
9. Lords of the Crimson Alliance - Lords of the Crimson Alliance
10. Metallica - Master of Puppets

Not 100% sure about MoP too inconsistant really but when it delivers it is probably atleast 4 places higher on the list.

Never really "got" The Deluge either, it's fine but just so big drop from their two previous albums.

I think some 90's year would be interesting to do a thread about too, more diverse lists with lots of sub genre classics. While 86 is a great year (the best in metal?) it's much of the same thing.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance runner and Alexander the Great are the best ones imo with Stranger in a Strange land and Deja Vu coming in close too.

Last edited:
i plan to do every year eventually. probably in a random order to keep things interesting.

i'm struggling to find a place for THE DELUGE myself but i don't really consider it a step down. it's just a beast of a year.

l don't need to listen to MoP or EDM again for about 10 years l reckon, etc etc so my list, is a list of bands with killer albums from 1986 that l listen to NOW. That's not to say that l believe these albums are the best from that year, but maybe just great albums that have been overlooked again and again

Angel Dust - Into the Dark Past
Cerebus - Too Late To Pray
Chariot - Burning Ambition
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Dorsal Atlantica - Antes Do Fim
Destruction - Eternal Devastation
Onslaught - The Force
Racer-X - Street Lethal
Kronen - Wasted Ep
Blood Money -Red, Raw and Bleeding!