GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 1986

Btw, I love this list, few of my choices got in and the rest still rule. I suppose that's a problem with 1986, how many bad metal albums were even released?

tumblr_lqmjdiV4qb1qdd8wro1_500_zps679e9f98.gif~c200

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I actually don't really like that movie. CONTROVERSYALARM.

RiB is genius and one of the most important/influential albums of all time, i kinda regret not giving it my #1 spot ahead of fates warning, but i can't begrudge EDM its victory, it's an album of towering consistency.

Reactions: CiG
I wish I always liked Awaken the Guardian as much as I do when I like it most. It only really does it for me one in three listens.

I think it's better, absolutely better, but it's way less popular globally, though I suppose not in this forum so suck it up. ;)

Yeah, it's definitely the best album of 86. It's just so fucking good.

Master of Puppets doesn't even register. The single most overrated metal album of all time. Mediocre at best.

I hope the next year is in the early 90s!

Old Wainds: I'm surprised RiB wasn't your number one given the way you rave about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
it was a close call. the more i think about it the more i regret it actually but it wouldn't have changed the results so w/e. it's sometimes hard for me to remember exactly how much i like RiB as i've heard it sixty trillion times.

EDM is definitely a worthy winner and I considered it as my #1.

Suprised that Maiden didn"t even make the top 10 but oh well, I guess it isn't their most popular album (even tho it is my fav) and alot of people here kind of hate Maiden so...

I'll be honest. I totally forgot that Cirith Ungol had an album out that year. I probably would have had them on instead of Master of Puppets or something just to piss off the California fags.

EDM is definitely a worthy winner and I considered it as my #1.

Suprised that Maiden didn"t even make the top 10 but oh well, I guess it isn't their most popular album (even tho it is my fav) and alot of people here kind of hate Maiden so...
Some people need to get their heads out of their asses when it comes to Somewhere In Time. As much as I love Powerslave, Piece of Mind and Killers, it really is one of their best.

Reactions: Atomic Tide and CiG
Somewhere in Time is the album for Maiden fans making their first conscious steps into fandom one-uppery, so they take the album that virtually everyone knows represented a significant slump after a period of long success and pretend that it's their favorite to show how deep their knowledge of their favorite band's discography is. The next step is to consider The X-Factor a forgotten gem and the utter representation of a morose, flawed masterpiece written during an artist's most vulnerable period, only matched by Alice in Chain's Dirt. The final step is to stop being a fuckwad and admit that No Prayer for the Dying is the best thing they ever did outside of the first five, and begin listening to more than four bands (Maiden solo-projects notwithstanding).

Somewhere in Time is the album for Maiden fans making their first conscious steps into fandom one-uppery, so they take the album that virtually everyone knows represented a significant slump after a period of long success and pretend that it's their favorite to show how deep their knowledge of their favorite band's discography is.

This doesn't represent me at all. But go on with your idiotic theory.

giphy.gif

Somewhere in Time is the album for Maiden fans making their first conscious steps into fandom one-uppery, so they take the album that virtually everyone knows represented a significant slump after a period of long success and pretend that it's their favorite to show how deep their knowledge of their favorite band's discography is.
How is Somewhere in Time anywhere near obscure enough to justify that kind of "explanation" when you have tracks like Deja Vu, Sea of Madness, and Wasted Years on it?

Also, while I think it's great, Powerslave is still my favorite.

The next step is to consider The X-Factor a forgotten gem and the utter representation of a morose, flawed masterpiece written during an artist's most vulnerable period, only matched by Alice in Chain's Dirt.
I'm pretty sure no one on this forum would regard X-Factor as that. Well...except maybe Ozz for trolling purposes.

The final step is to stop being a fuckwad and admit that No Prayer for the Dying is the best thing they ever did outside of the first five, and begin listening to more than four bands (Maiden solo-projects notwithstanding).
:bah:

Somewhere in Time is the album for Maiden fans making their first conscious steps into fandom one-uppery, so they take the album that virtually everyone knows represented a significant slump after a period of long success and pretend that it's their favorite to show how deep their knowledge of their favorite band's discography is. The next step is to consider The X-Factor a forgotten gem and the utter representation of a morose, flawed masterpiece written during an artist's most vulnerable period, only matched by Alice in Chain's Dirt. The final step is to stop being a fuckwad and admit that No Prayer for the Dying is the best thing they ever did outside of the first five, and begin listening to more than four bands (Maiden solo-projects notwithstanding).
Lolling @ this even though it almost fits me. I started out as a Killers/Piece of Mind fanboy but upped my game after awhile. ;)

The X-Factor rules and is definitely underappricated. Sign of the Cross is a real Maiden classic. Not in on the No Prayer thing though. X-Factor is actually better than both No Prayer and Fear of the Dark.

Lolling @ this even though it almost fits me. I started out as a Killers/Piece of Mind fanboy but upped my game after awhile. ;)

The X-Factor rules and is definitely underappricated. Sign of the Cross is a real Maiden classic. Not in on the No Prayer thing though. X-Factor is actually better than both No Prayer and Fear of the Dark.

I was being self-deprecating with that post, but you understand, it's a hardcore fanboy thing that the posers that never spent their formative years on autistic Iron Maiden forums won't ever be able to relate to.

I do like The X-Factor too. Blood on the World's Hands is underrated as fuck. I also used to love The Aftermath until I discovered the main riff was a total ripoff of Wishbone Ash's Warrior.

Somewhere in Time is a really good album, but it ain't up to par with their classics.

Just realised that Virgin Steele's Noble Savage was actually released in 1985.
Lucky I guess that I'm probably the only idiot to list it.

Skipped voting here for unknown reasons.......

My list would've looked something like this

1. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
2. Whiplash - Power and Pain
3. Destruction - Eternal Devastation
4. Slayer - Reign in Blood
5. Agnostic Front - Cause for Alarm
6. Motorhead - Orgasmatron
7. Razor - Malicious Intent
8. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
9. Megadeth - Peace Sells
10. Voivod - Rrröööaaarrr

And a bunch of albums that i could probably switch with the above