GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums Of 1988

I'm not really feeling this year. I was going to make an unranked list but haven't gotten round to it.

While I like albums from this year (Eternal Nightmare, Punishment for Decadence, Blood Fire Death, Mind Wars, Illusions, Transcendence, Leprosy, etc) I just don't feel that strongly about the year. You can continue without my list.

come on @Phylactery it only takes 30 seconds to copypaste a list from anus.com

Cheeky shit. ANUS doesn't even like The Chasm so there's already a huge disagreement there.

He's busy becoming gradually more inactive until he ultimately disappears from this forum forever.

I don't plan on going anywhere, I just haven't been listening to music much lately.

Last edited:
Order for these is mostly fucked, I could take another couple weeks to do this and be even less sure about at least 5 of these, and the order of all of them :

1. King Diamond - Them
2. Realm - Endless War
3. Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
4. Helstar - A Distant Thunder
5. Metallica - And Justice for all
6. Death - Leprosy
7. Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
8. Voivod - Dimension Hatross
9. Megadeth - So Far, So Good
10. Adramelch - Irae Melanox

I'm not really feeling this year. I was going to make an unranked list but haven't gotten round to it.

While I like albums from this year (Eternal Nightmare, Punishment for Decadence, Blood Fire Death, Mind Wars, Illusions, Transcendence, Leprosy, etc) I just don't feel that strongly about the year. You can continue without my list.

Cheeky shit. ANUS doesn't even like The Chasm so there's already a huge disagreement there.

I don't plan on going anywhere, I just haven't been listening to music much lately.

90's fag. :D

An unashamed 90s fag!

I've liked every other 80s year that we've had more than this one though, which is why I voted in those.

Forgot Irae Melanox and Endless War from that post. They're two of my favourites! Guess I could have just listed all those as an unranked list.

Just copy and paste my list.

ap7w6WV.gif

1) adramelch - irae melanox
2) anacrusis - suffering hour
3) holy terror - mind wars
4) rigor mortis - rigor mortis
5) metallica - ...and justice for all
6) death - leprosy
7) lust - we'll never die
8) voivod - dimension hatross
9) pestilence - malleus maleficarum
10) vio-lence - eternal nightmare

that was tough. there's really good stuff that wouldn't even make my top 20 for this year.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
If you've not started counting them, I'll do an unordered list.

Adramelch - Irae Melanox
Realm - Endless War
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
Sadus - Illusions
Holy Terror - Mind Wars
Crimson Glory - Transcendence
Death - Leprosy
Bathory - Blood Fire Death (inconsistent as it is)
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

I'm not saying this is a bad year btw, I like plenty of stuff from it. I just don't care for it as much as most of the others we've done.

I had no knowledge of the existence of Adramelch until this thread. Listening to Irae Melanox now, pretty awesome stuff.

It's hasty to rank an album after one listen, but I think this should be on my list, so I updated it.

Last edited:
10) Eternal Nightmare by Vio-Lence
Doctor help me! At any cost! Please make it go away before I am totally lost...

1371.jpg

"You don't like the first Vio-lence album? What the fucking fuck? Who the fuck doesn't like that? Also, Suicidal Tendencies?? WAR!! INSIDE MY HEAD!!! WAR!! INSIDE MY HEAD!! You should look at yourself from distance, like a philosopher, and fucking think about your values. Not liking Eternal Nightmare doesn't even fucking make sense, you had to make it up on LSD." - @Onder

"anyone that hates on Vio-Lence for their vocals needs to go jump off of a bridge. Eternal Nightmare is a top 10 all time thrash metal album ... if you dont like that album, then i dont fucking like you." - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Today marks the first time someone commented on the music I was listening too in the car. Was blasting Eternal Nightmare, some dude I think with face tattoos and piercings (but it was hard to tell because of the sun's glare) was all "FUCK YEAH VIO-LENCE" and threw me the horns. My autistic reaction time was a little slow and prevented me from taking a hand off of the steering wheel (even though we were stopped at a light) but I think I managed a smile, an audible "Yeah", and a high-impact headnod. I turned the music down a bit in anticipation of a potential brief conversation but wondered if I was actually being rude by not turning it up even more." - @HamburgerBoy

Chosen by:
Slayed Necros (#1)
rms (#1)
RadicalThrasher (#2)
Satanstoenail (#3)
TechnicalBarbarity (#6)
-CyanideChrist- (#6)
I-TEND-TO-DIE (#9)
no country for old wainds (#10)
Manic Ferocity (N/A)
Phylactery (N/A)

TOTAL: 61 POINTS

9) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden
So it shall be written... So it shall be done...

92177_0.jpg

"SSoaSS is filler-free, perhaps the only Maiden album to be so. Very cohesive and compelling record from start to finish. The tracks are free bloated passages as well. The title track may be long, but it is perfectly paced and developed to function as the epic centerpiece of the album." - @crimsonfloyd

"It took hearing most of Seventh Son live to get me to really love that album. Hearing The Clairvoyant live was an experience I can't describe." - @The Ozzman

Chosen by:
The Ozzman (#1)
crimsonfloyd (#1)
EspaDa (#1)
Vilden (#2)
Atomic Tide (#2)
Krow (#4)
zabu of nΩd (#7)
Funerary_Doom (#7)
Satanstoenail (#10)

TOTAL: 64 POINTS

something i noticed while searching: i-tend-to-die has voivod 10th in his 1988 list, and... 7th in the all time list he posted a week or two earlier. he sure went off that one fast.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd