GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1997

Every American disc including mine from that era says 1997, so from my frame of reference it's not. And no one voted for it in the 1996 thread. It's too good an album to miss these lists entirely

America-centrism doesn't change the fact that it was released in Japan in 1996. It also says so on Discogs and RYM.

I agree that it sucks it misses out on being in a game, but it would also suck if an album literally not even released in the year the game is focused on takes a place that should go to an actual '96 album.

The reason nobody voted for it in the 1996 game is because most people don't have the Japanese album which would say "1996" on it and you can't easily catch mistakes on RYM when it's about the date being more recent than it should be, the other way around is the easier mistake to catch.

Eh this year is weak, and SX is the only thing worth taking #1. dunno what got up TB's ass to single it out from the beginning anyhow

Every American disc including mine from that era says 1997, so from my frame of reference it's not. And no one voted for it in the 1996 thread. It's too good an album to miss these lists entirely

Dude it could have been released in Zimbabwe for all i care, it still came out in 1996 originally. This thread isnt the "top ten albums of 1997 that were released in the US" . This is not the 1996 thread and regardless of how clueless some you were we're not going to rewrite history here. We have done the same for numerous other albums. The only reason i mentioned it is so some people wouldn't be under the impression that the album was initially released in 97 and include it in their lists. And we talked about this exact same album and situation just a few weeks ago and came to the conclusion that were not going to be including it here. I dont care what your CD says on it. I have albums that were re-released and have other years stamped on them too. Imagine if tried using that as an excuse. Stop getting all butthurt and bugging me just because its not going to count. Yeah, something is up my ass jsut because i pointed out that album wasnt released this year :rolleyes:, get a hold of yourself man.

America-centrism doesn't change the fact that it was released in Japan in 1996. It also says so on Discogs and RYM.

I agree that it sucks it misses out on being in a game, but it would also suck if an album literally not even released in the year the game is focused on takes a place that should go to an actual '96 album.

The reason nobody voted for it in the 1996 game is because most people don't have the Japanese album which would say "1996" on it and you can't easily catch mistakes on RYM when it's about the date being more recent than it should be, the other way around is the easier mistake to catch.

That would make sense... if there was one person on this forum from Japan who could vote for it and give us the heads up. No one had any idea to look at a different year than the one printed on their discs, and ofc it wasn't on the RYM lists or other lists for a different year. It's more like Non-japan centrism since Japan isn't represented here. Also, we have made exceptions for other albums when they were ruled out for a year. Also it's more that TB is acting like he's the lord of decisions on this when it should be democratic. in the past no country was more cool about this sort of thing. You know how TB gets

:lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

dude, its not going to count. You can keep crying all you want about it, its not going to change anything. And like i said its something weve already discussed.

yeah when discussed with no country and phylactery in other threads (when you were away crying), we voted to allow an album that was off year, simply because it wasn't allowed a different year that had already been tallied. I think CIG supported that decision too, but not this one, huh.

... lulz. Cry away babygirl, cry away. Funny thing is no country agreed with me when we were talking about this just a few weeks ago. There have been numerous times where albums that were listed in the wrong year on RYM(Power and Pain for example) that we did not include, because you know that would be just plain retarded. Look it's pretty simple, if the album didnt originally come out in 1997 its not going to count in a 1997 thread. No need to let your sodium levels rise because of it

So do you want me to give your second place the ten points or just count from 2-10? Let me know, sweetheart.

hahahaha that's not what i heard

0R02331.gif

1 Spastic Ink - Ink Complete
2 Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within
3 R.D.P. - Carniceria Tropical
4 Misery - Revel in Blasphemy
5 Sadus - Elements of Anger
6 Edge of Sanity - Infernal
7 Napalm Death - Inside the Torn Apart
8 Edge of Sanity - Cryptic
9 Testament - Demonic
10 Emperor- Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

Seeing bands such as Rollins Band/Faith No More/Helmet/Grinspoon pop up on the RYM list, band which I definately wouldn't consider to be metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirjack
1. Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
2. Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
3. Days of Yore - The Mad God's Wage
4. Arcturus - La masquerade infernale
5. Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
6. Algophobia - Algophobia
7. Savatage - The Wake of Magellan
8. Pain of Salvation - Entropia
9. Overkill - From the Underground and Below
10. Xerxes - Falling Leaves
Scenery - The Drowning Shadows of Mankind
W.A.S.P. - K.F.D.
Grip Inc. - Nemesis
Flaming Anger - Biosphere II
Garden Wall - Chimica
Sore Plexus - Visual Agnosia
Fatal Opera - The Eleventh Hour
Ferocity - Puzzled Into Various Spaces
Slogan - Nincs
Gorgon - Gorgon
The Black - Apocalypsis
Hanker - The Dead Ringer
Kobong - Chmury nie było
Sirrah - Will Tomorrow Come?
Ars Antiqua - In Red Nights
Mortuary Drape - Secret Sudaria
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft
Fly Machine - Fly Machine
Brainstorm - Hungry
Fatima Hill - Valhalla

Priority relisten list:

Crisis - The Hollowing
Deceased... - Fearless Undead Machines
Digital Ruin - Listen
Eucharist - Mirrorworlds
Lordian Guard - Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
Maze of Torment - The Force
Misanthrope - Visionnaire
Sadus - Elements of Anger
Saxon - Unleash the Beast
Subcutane - Circle Of Fools
Whiplash - Sit Stand Kneel Prey

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Sampling some Days of Yore right now and I'm surprised this isn't in your 'Unhinged 80's Metal' list on RYM.

I hate the way RYM handles editing lists, submitting reviews, etc so I haven't updated it since basically publishing. In fact, I probably haven't read it since first publishing it either though I know I've received a couple suggestions for additions. It's definitely completely worthy of the list and it's an album I am considering writing a review for since it has almost everything I love about metal in it. I'd put it as high as second place if I had known it longer.

Woah, never imagined seeing Arcturus and Obtained Enslavement anywhere near your list!

Arcturus was one of my first non-trad or thrash bands (one of a handful in my dad's collection), and that album (plus The Sham Mirrors) are close to me even though I don't really care to seek out others like them. Obtained Enslavement was a relatively newer discovery but it's pretty good, especially for black metal.

Reactions: CiG
Not much, he's big into trad, glam, power, and thrash metal mostly as far as metal goes. He also has Winter's Into Darkness, which he bought assuming it was a Winger album, that cheapo Heralds of Oblivion Vol 1 comp which he bought believing it would be representative of death metal, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting right now. I don't think the metalness of Arcturus was even a factor for him, because I know one day we were having a music chat and after I said I liked them, he recommended Blind Melon to me on the simple grounds that they both experimented with other genres. I've turned him onto a handful of extreme metal albums since then but he doesn't seek it out.