9 - Nasum - World In Turmoil EP
10 - The Opportunist - Langhorne Creek

Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
Midvinter - At the Sight of the Apocalypse Dragon
Nocturnal Breed - Aggressor
The Abyss - Summon the Beast
Thy Primordial - Where Only the Seasons Mark the Paths of Time

Don’t know these. I’ll check them out!

I also need to listen to Swordmaster - Postmortem Tales. I like the Wraths of Time EP but I’ve never heard his one. Anyone familiar with it?

I need to listen to that Mortuary Drape again as well. But it’s by far my least liked of all their full lengths. Except Buried in Time which I haven’t heard.

Last edited:
You know, I've honestly never given 16 a proper listen. For the purposes of this thread, would their '97 album Blaze of Incompetence be an ideal listen?

Probably their greatest album, which is the main reason I asked because you included a few other sludge heavy hitters in your list.

Last edited:
I really like the Sigh album. It's from the era where they were saying "lets play some weird shit and then add some big Celtic Frost riffs in." Midvinter is symphonic black metal done correctly, Nocturnal Breed is black/thrash.

I'm not as familiar with the last two but they've been on my radar for a long time. Summon the Beast seems to be a 96 album. Thy Primordial is more melodic in delivery. I see they have a 4 cd comp available with that album actually. Buying that now.

Cool, I’ll make that Midvinter a priority. I’m always looking for more symphonic black metal that isn’t shit. It’s a very short list I have.

There’s also Tartaros - The Grand Psychotic Castle which is symphonic black metal from this year. I remember it being quite overblown, but not bad. Might be worth your while to check out. And of course Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft which I didn’t see on your list.

Last edited:
Cool, I’ll make that Midvinter a priority. I’m always looking for mote symphonic black metal that isn’t shit. It’s a very short list I have.

There’s also Tartaros - The Grand Psychotic Castle which is symphonic black metal from this year. I remember it being quite overblown, but not bad. Might be worth your while to check out. And of course Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft which I didn’t see on your list.

I dont actually own any Obtained Enslavement albums. As I remember theyre pretty tough to find. I tend to not add albums to these polls that I dont own as a personal rule but I make exceptions occasionally. I'd really like to have the Osculum Infame album from this year too but looks like it'll be next to impossible for a cd or vinyl.

Yeah good luck with that Osculum Infame album! It goes for hundreds! And I’m sure I’ve seen it sold for over a thousand!

I didn’t know that Obtained Enslavement was rare. I picked mine up 4 or 5 years ago from Amazon I think!