GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1997

Fuck! I remember that now because I had Blut und Krieg on my 96 list and it was discovered it’s 97!

Well shit. I’ve decided I’m not doing this year anymore. Way too many releases of similar quality and more just keep popping up!

i'm not sure we were right, but we decided this was '96 when we did the '96 thread.

oh god, i just went back to figure out exactly why we decided dol guldur was '96 (apparently discogs said so, but it doesn't anymore?), and inadvertently discovered that blut und krieg is '97. paging @Phylactery and @Slayed Necros etc

Fuck. I have the original pressing of Blut & Krieg on cassette and it says '96. I don't know what's real anymore.

1. Capharnaum - Reality Only Fantasized
2. Theory in Practice - Third Eye Function
3. Wayd - The Ultimate Passion
4. Deicide - Serpents of the Light
5. Scenery - The Drowning Shadows of Mankind
6. Jungle Rot - Slaughter the Weak
7. Düreforsög - Knee
8. Garden Wall - Chimica
9. Voïvod - Phobos
10. Algophobia - Algophobia

Last edited:
Phobos was such a disappointment. Maybe there's a couple cute ideas buried in there but it's mostly a tired groove metal slog. Easily their most overrated album.

Overrated? I didn't even know it was one people talked about all that much. I like it, some of the Ministry-tier industrial metal parts hold it back for me, but other than that it's cool.

Not confusing at all.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CiG and jimmy101
Overrated? I didn't even know it was one people talked about all that much. I like it, some of the Ministry-tier industrial metal parts hold it back for me, but other than that it's cool.

It's the album everyone says is an underrated hidden gem yet is actually pretty shit. I'd even take the Newsted albums over it.

Korn displayed a far higher level of musicality and thoughtfulness on their first three albums than Voivod did on Phobos.