GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2009

Damn, the album that would have been my #1 for sure is a 2008 album. Swore that Freedom Metal was a 2009 release, but oh well...

I do have 10 after all:

1) Illdisposed - To Those Who Walk Behind Us
2) Amorphis - Skyforger
3) The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
4) Revocation - Existence is Futile
5) Immortal - All Shall Fall
6) Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
7) Megadeth - Endgame
8) Animals as Leaders - S/T
9) Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
10) Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God

Mort will probably say my list sucks but fuck that asshole.

@Dak

honestly its not the most objectionable list we're likely to get posted here, Animals as Leaders is dog shit but other than that its either good or whatever.

Damn, the album that would have been my #1 for sure is a 2008 album. Swore that Freedom Metal was a 2009 release, but oh well...

honestly its not the most objectionable list we're likely to get posted here, Animals as Leaders is dog shit but other than that its either good or whatever.

Like I said, the most objectionable person on this board doesn't like my opinion. Color me surprised you androgynist piece of shit @Mort

Last edited:
Hey no country, I recall you mention earlier that you're only doing the years from 1980 to 2009. Why not include 2010-2015 as well? I'm sure some people enjoy doing the 2000s years, I know I do because they're less predictable and have the most stuff I haven't heard.
anyone else got an opinion on this? my rationale for not including them was mainly that they're recent enough that many people here probably participated in threads for those years at the time, and i was thinking i'd probably do a best of decade poll in a couple years time. but i'm happy to add these to the hat so to speak, if people wanted.
It's great to revisit and include albums missed. Though I'm biased since I didn't participate and couldn't scrape 10 together at the time. Maybe now that 2009's come up you could throw in 2010, and then when that comes up, throw 2011 in etc. Once we've done the other 20+ years we'll be craving your next thread like a carton of chocolate milk anyway.

I can finally get to revisiting some albums from this year after this move I had to do. I can definitely see this being one of those years where there is a pretty large consensus for more than a few albums.

I listened to Black Future today. It's pretty great, way better than my rather negative friend ratings on RYM had led me to expect. Transporting in a way most thrash metal isn't. Will definitely make my list. That said, my #1 for this year is set in stone... or set in a timeless monolith of hate, if you will.

I listened to Black Future today. It's pretty great, way better than my rather negative friend ratings on RYM had led me to expect.
What do they dislike about it? The vocals? Because that was something I heard a few people take issue with but they were never an issue for me.

I made a list back in 2009 but I'm gonna half to alter that one a bit.

1) Beherit - Engram
2) Griftegard - Solemn.Sacred.Severe
3) The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
4) Revelation - For the Sake of No One
5) While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose
6) Slugathor - Echoes from Beneath
7) Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy
8) Impetuous Ritual - Relentless Execution of Ceremonial Excrescence
9) The Gates of Slumber - Hymns of Blood and Thunder
10) Diocletian - Doom Cult

Honorable Mentions:

Arckanum - PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Argus - Argus
Katharsis - Fourth Reich
Slough Feg - Ape Uprising
Rituals of the Oak - Hour of Judgment

What a fucking year. My god.

I listened to Black Future today. It's pretty great, way better than my rather negative friend ratings on RYM had led me to expect. Transporting in a way most thrash metal isn't. Will definitely make my list. That said, my #1 for this year is set in stone... or set in a timeless monolith of hate, if you will.

Have you heard Nokturnal Mortum's The Voice of Steel from this year?Great album and I can't imagine you not liking it. It's missing from too many lists already.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
1. Eagle Twin - The Unkindness of Crows
2. The Graviators - The Graviators
3. The Accüsed - The Curse of Martha Splatterhead
4. Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire
5. Gaywyre - Coming Out
6. Black Boned Angel - Verdun
7. W.A.I.L. - Wisdom Through Agony Into Illumination and Lunacy
8. Moss - Tombs of the Blind Drugged
9. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
10. Saxon - Into the Labyrinth

HM:
Gama Bomb - Tales From the Grave in Space
Vader - Necropolis
Dying of the Light - Dying of the Light
Backyard Burial - Symptoms of Psychopathology

Reactions: Atomic Tide
If Vektor - Black Future is not at the top of your list (or on it at all) you should be questioning yourself as a metalhead. It's the clear best album of 2009 with no doubts in my mind.

Gabriel is definitely better and shows how far retro-tech-thrash bands are from their fathers.

I really liked Black Future when it came out, but tech-thrash was never really my favorite and I've grown less fond of it. From a tech-thrash perspective it's great but I don't play it often and I'm not going to list albums that don't get played simply because of some technical proficiency.