GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1986

hm, lots I haven't seen in a long time, and several that I've surprisingly never seen (including Cobra and Henry). here's a list, not too confident in terms of rankings beyond the first three, but probably won't change it.

1. Aliens
2. The Fly
3. Blue Velvet
4. Labyrinth
5. Gothic
6. Manhunter
7. Platoon

Reactions: CiG
Gabriel Byrne, Natasha Richardson, a highly stylized and fictionalized take on the famous night when Mary Shelley cooped up in a mansion with Byron, Percy Shelley, John Polidori, and they told each other ghost stories. It was where she conceived Frankenstein.

It's not a stellar movie but has a special place in my heart, lol.

Even though I can't participate in this year's poll - I went through the entire RYM-list, but couldn't find at least five movies (I remember) I've watched -, I'd like to mention that I absolutely loved "Clockwise". It is one of very few movies I've watched more than once at the cinema - in this case it was (at least) three times.

Ah 1986. The year in which a movie titled Chopping Mall had not a single person get chopped up in a hospital

I’ll try and make a list today or tomorrow

I’ll try and make a list today or tomorrow
7bd058552071fc7973f31d18d8c9f6c845adb0e4.gifv

These I guess:

1. From Beyond
2. Manhunter
3. Dead Man's Letters
4. Blue Velvet
5. River's Edge
6. TerrorVision
7. Chopping Mall
8. Aliens
9. Crocodile Dundee
10. The Wraith

Just watched Dead Man's Letters, pretty damn good. Got kinda addicted to these sorts of post-apocalyptic films due to a thread on another (relatively dead) forum. Probably overdue for a thread on a different movie subject there to change things up.

Reactions: rms and CiG
I just went through the first 600 movies via that link and while there's always the possibility that there's maybe a movie after that that I liked a whole lot, I'm making my list from those first 600 listed films.

The funny thing about this year is that I can say that I probably saw between 100 and 150 of these movies. But that doesn't really make the list harder. Because while I saw a lot of movies on the list, a lot of them (even if I liked them) I haven't seen them in 36 years either. So they don't really make the list.

Of the 15 movies that are under consideration, here's the Top 10.

1. Hoosiers (One of my all-time favorite movies, period)
2. Aliens
3. Top Gun
4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
5. The Karate Kid, Part II
6. Wildcats (First time I ever got into an R-rated movie while still under 18 without an adult with me)
7. Iron Eagle
8. SpaceCamp
9. Crocodile Dundee
10. Highlander

Reactions: CiG and zerostatic
5. The Karate Kid, Part II

Surprised to see this so high up, for me it's the weakest in the LaRusso trilogy.

Having the film be set in Okinawa yet everybody still speaks broken English almost exclusively (even in scenes without Daniel) was such a crappy 80's decision. I get why directors did it back then (subtitled films don't do as well with western audiences etc) but man it has not aged as well as the first and third films as a result.

Reactions: zerostatic
Untitled.jpg

Testament to how good this year is that no Aussie films made my top 10.

Favourite Australian films of 1986:

1. Dead End Drive-In
2. The Fringe Dwellers
3. Fair Game
4. Crocodile Dundee
5. Frog Dreaming

Brian Trenchard-Smith was on a fucking roll that year. 3 movies! I haven't seen the third but Frog Dreaming and especially Dead End Drive-In rule.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The latter is an apeshit Mad Max 2-esque post-societal collapse carsploitation dystopian satire with a weird blend of upbeat black comedy and exploitation style graphic violence. Kinda like if you combined Mad Max 2 with Death Wish 3. Everything is littered with garbage, covered in graffiti, roving gangs competing with tow truckers for car crash scrap metal, everybody is either a punk or a fascist. Shitloads of stuntwork too. Most of the movie takes place in an old drive-in cinema and the final act has a crazy truck stunt that apparently at the time set the record for most expensive stunt.

If you've seen his prior movie Turkey Shoot, you'll love this one.

Surprised to see this so high up, for me it's the weakest in the LaRusso trilogy.

Having the film be set in Okinawa yet everybody still speaks broken English almost exclusively (even in scenes without Daniel) was such a crappy 80's decision. I get why directors did it back then (subtitled films don't do as well with western audiences etc) but man it has not aged as well as the first and third films as a result.

It's a question of how much I liked the movie as opposed to how well it aged or anything else. Plus for me, the third one is the weakest entry into the trilogy.