GMD Song Survivor: Atheist - Unquestionable Presence - Round 1

What are the TWO WORST songs on Atheist - Unquestionable Presence?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vegard Pompey

ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU
Feb 26, 2008
Duwang
I have no idea how this one's gonna turn out. I don't even know what I'll vote for myself this round.

If anyone's unaware how this works, this is a voteoff; you vote for the two worst (or rather, least amazing) songs on the album. When the poll closes, the two songs with the most votes will be removed from the tracklist and I'll host a new poll with those songs removed, and so on until there's one winner.

The poll will close in three days.

The Formative Years is by far the weakest link, sounds like a Metal Church B-side or something, barely even thrash metal let alone tech-death. Which isn't to say there's anything wrong with speed/thrash, but it's not Atheist's forte. Title track is the next weakest, a very overrated song that could be criticized along the same lines Dream Theater is; there's nothing interesting about changing time signatures a bunch of times if all your riffs do is count beats. Rhythmically a bore despite the wanky drums (which Flynn often struggles to reproduce live). The song still has some great melodic leadwork and is still pretty good overall, but compared to what Watchtower and Mekong Delta were doing years earlier, it's pathetic that a second-rate tech-thrash song is considered any kind of landmark in tech-death.

The other six tracks range from great to perfection. An Incarnation's Dream needs to win this, or at least get to the final two.

... hold still please

tumblr_lnzw9wBQOL1qzstkb.gif

How is Brains the least interesting? It probably has the most angular, tech-y-weird riffing of any song in their discography. I'd say the most interesting song.

Brains is definitely a track of least quality on the album. It would be a misunderstanding if this song made it to the secound round.

Don't understand how one of the most ambitious songs is of less quality relative to a ton of slapped-together thrash metal on the album, but OK.

Reactions: CiG