good iced earth songs NOT on AIA

DoomzDayz

New Metal Member
Jul 20, 2003
Laurel, MD, USA
so i bought AIA and i like it, but i hear they have a lot of not so great studio version songs. What songs on their studio albums ARE good that don't have a live counterpart on AIA(3 disc) or sound much better in the studio version?

oh and obviously since the horror show was not out by then, what are it's best songs? anyone want to rank them?

songs that should have been on AiA and were not there:

Burnt Offerings
Burning Oasis
Track 4 from the self titled ( can't remember the title )

That's about it for me......... Life and Death would have been cool too.

Best songs on Horror Show:

Wolf
Phantom of the Opera
Dracula
Jack
Damien
Ghost of Freedom is pretty cool too

I thought Horror Show was a bit shaky when I heard it at first, but after listening to it back then I realized there were some really good songs. It's just not as consistently awesome as TDS or SW.

But after TGB came out...it made HS look like TDS in comparison. Totally weak and rehashed riffs.

And I agree about Wolf being one of the strongest songs. It is worth the price of the whole CD, IMO.

SW consistently awesome? Ok, let me summarize the album:

Track 1 (Burning Time): Good intro, interesting riffs and great vocals
Track 2: Melancholy is good, but sounds a lot like I died for you, Gets boring fast.
Track 3: Good riffs but extremely lame generic power metal drumming ( Pou-Pou-Ta-Pou-Pou-Ta... got it? )
Track 4: Wow, it's Melancholy with different riffs and lyrics. Lame.
Track 5: Good Song. Drumming could be better again, but oh well.
Track 6: Good song too.
Track 7: This one is okay. It doesn't compare to 'Pure Evil' or 'Path I Choose' though. Lame drumming again
Track 8: One of the best songs of the album if you seperate it from the trilogy.
Track 9: Bah, it's an okay instrumental song. Lacks solos and diversity.
Track 10: Same with track 4. Lame.
Track 11: THe second best of the trilogy and of the album.
Track 12: Nothing original. The lead melody sounds weak. The riffs are recycled.
Track 13. Of course, best song of the album. Nothing to complain about except the drumming again.

Does that look consistent? No. TDS shows a lot more consistency though, same with HS.

AsModEe said:
SW consistently awesome? Ok, let me summarize the album:

Track 1 (Burning Time): Good intro, interesting riffs and great vocals
Track 2: Melancholy is good, but sounds a lot like I died for you, Gets boring fast.
Track 3: Good riffs but extremely lame generic power metal drumming ( Pou-Pou-Ta-Pou-Pou-Ta... got it? )
Track 4: Wow, it's Melancholy with different riffs and lyrics. Lame.
Track 5: Good Song. Drumming could be better again, but oh well.
Track 6: Good song too.
Track 7: This one is okay. It doesn't compare to 'Pure Evil' or 'Path I Choose' though. Lame drumming again
Track 8: One of the best songs of the album if you seperate it from the trilogy.
Track 9: Bah, it's an okay instrumental song. Lacks solos and diversity.
Track 10: Same with track 4. Lame.
Track 11: THe second best of the trilogy and of the album.
Track 12: Nothing original. The lead melody sounds weak. The riffs are recycled.
Track 13. Of course, best song of the album. Nothing to complain about except the drumming again.

Does that look consistent? No. TDS shows a lot more consistency though, same with HS.

No, it doesn't look consistent. It just sort of looks like your opinion of the album. I'll agree that TDS is an awesome LP, but I rank it just a hair ahead of SW. Sorry, that's just what I think.

And I don't know if you were able to see IE when they toured for SW, but I saw them eight times for that album alone, so that might explain why I have a bit more affinity for the disc.

Cheers!

8 times for one tour? That's a big waste of money IMO. And explaining your affinity with the album by the number of times you saw IE is a bit weird, cause if you saw them that often is because you really liked the album, not the other way around.

Yes, how I summarize the album was my personnal view of it, nothing objective and 100% rationnal. But, IMO, SW is only an easy listen for those unfamilliar with metal, and by this is not great metal: only a generic album, showing a trilogy at the end to impress the crowd.

But, in other words, when I think of consistency, the pattern that follows SW (hard song-soft song-hard song-soft song) is the opposite of consistency. Plus, the songs followed the predictive verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-verse-chorus-chorus pattern which shows a lack of song-writting talent from Jon. Songs that flow naturally without this pattern are a lot more interesting to listen to and get boring a lot slower. You have a different view of music and I respect that, so I suggest we don't argue on this forever ;)

I respect your opinion dude, but for some reason I just have an affinity for SW. Maybe it was a period of time, people I knew, or just the overall vibe of the music. Sometimes you can have music that is a bit more simplistic in it's overall approach and it works better. The ol', 'less-is-more' approach. Some of their more complex works belong on Days Of Purgatory, and I think that stuff is great too, but there is that little magical element in SW that just sells it to me. That little extra that can't be explained, know where I'm coming from?

Oh, and I don't think that we were arguing, just discussing. Cool with me! :headbang: