Old or new Iced Earth?

Old or new IE?

• I'm a bitter old fart (old)

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I'm a n00b (new)

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I'm a fanboy (can't choose, all too good)

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I was trying to click on the In Flames forum (it all sucks)

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Lies and Perfidy

Gentleman of the Road
Nov 27, 2002
Washington, Washing-Ton
thefinger.wordpress.com
Just wondering, which stage of Iced Earth's career do y'all prefer - older (s/t, Stormrider, Burnt) or newer (Saga, SWTWC, Horror)? I suppose the live album counts as newer, and Purgatory as older (cause that's when the songs were written).

Myself, I prefer the old-school stuff...the singing was not as good in general, but the songwriting was much more cohesive, and Jon's riffs were better the first time he used them. And it's thrashier, which always tips the scale for me. The last three albums weren't bad, but Horror Show is probably IE's worst effort to date...Jon needs to come up with some new riffs. And the ballads are getting more and more putrid.

You guys?

I find it hard to choose. Its like you said, the riffs were better in the old days no doubt. Im a thrash fan myself so I would certainly say that while they have put out some awesome music since, musically speaking the old stuff was better. However, no one can deny Matt made the band so fucking awesome. His voice gave the band something it desperately needed. So it is very hard for me to choose. What can I say, I like it all.

Personally, I like the newer stuff. I dunno, I just find that I get more out of Dark Saga, Something Wicked and Horror Show than I do the older stuff. I also find that on the first three albums, I skip over a lot more songs than I do on the newer stuff. I guess I'm just weird though.

I'd like to add that, while I do prefer the newer stuff, I certainly don't hate the older stuff. I absolutely love When the Night Falls and Written On The Walls (better than Cast In Stone, imo). Travel In Stygian is arguably one of their best songs ever, and the only song I really can't stand on BO is Creator Failure.

:erk: <----Pyrus after he takes a dump. :D

Ben

Thanx. It's funny you say that, beacuse I just watched Chasing Amy, and when they got to that scene, I was all like "That sounds familiar...A-HAH! BEN'S SIG!" And I thought you came up with something creative on your own...

Kevin Smith is hilarious. I'm finally watching all his movies...three down, two to go.

Dude, you of all people here should know that I never, NEVER come up with anything on my own. Well, except for one particular story from the old days on the Iced Earth.com boards. :D
:hotjump: :hotjump:

Ben