New Iced Earth vocalist. [opinions..]

Hey, I am an unknown - maybe I should send in my demo tape.... :) The only problem is, I don't sound alot like Barlow. If I had to describe my voice, it would be Halford combined with Dio. Hell, it's worth a try... :Smokedev:

General Zod said:
Jon always said that everyone in Iced Earth is replaceable. He's about to find out just how wrong he was.

I've been listening to Metal for a long time, and Matt is/was my all time favorite Metal vocalist. His range, power, emotion and presence, for my money, are unmatched. So, as far as I'm concerned, the band will go backwards regardless of who they get.

Owens is an excellent singer, as are may of the possible replacements mentioned here. However, it doesn't matter. While I'll continue to buy Iced Earth's CDs (assuming they continue to be worth purchasing), I doubt I'd go see them perform live again. To hear someone else sing "Holy Martyr", "Dracula" or any of the classic Iced Earth songs would just depress me.

GZ
I'll have to totally agree with that. I've also been listening to metal for a long time, and Matt has always been my favorit vocalist. I think no matter who they get, it won't be the same, and as you said, I don't think anyone can sing Melancholy (holy martyr) as him, cause he seriously sounds like he's actually sad, when he sings that - The vocals was the thing that made IE, what they are and that the music is awesome too just makes it perfect :).

However I still look forward to see who's gonna be his replacement, and how it'll sound - It'll never be the same, that's for sure.

btw, I think it would be harder to find a new vocalist for BG if it was, cause not many bands sings like he does.

asphyXy said:
Rather than discuss this in all the Matt topics, let's just move on and discuss the future. Who would you like to see fronting Iced Earth?

My top two candidates are Eric Hawk and Mike Vescera.

Eric Hawk is the vocalist for an old power metal band called Artch. they had 2 albums in the late 80s/early 90s. Eric Hawk recently did guest vocals for Gardenian, too. Great vocalist. has a resemblance to Dickinson, but you have to hear him. Listen to Deserted by Gardenian. he does the chorus in this song.

Mike Vescera did the vocals for Yngwie Malmsteen's The Seventh Sign album [among other things, but he really shined with Yngwie]. I know he has his own thing going called MVP [Mike Vescera Project], but i can imagine his vocals fitting perfectly with songs like Burnt Offerings and Stormrider live. I'd pick Eric Hawk over Mike, but Mike would be an excellent choice.

Hopefully Jon has one of, if not both of these talented musicians in consideration. Any other hopes/suggestions?

Mike Vescera is a loser his vocals in loudness were the worst i have ever heard from a singer in years,he brought them down to gutter level adn they had to get rid of him or fold

Metal7 said:
Maybe it should be the singer from winterfall because he sounds EXACTLY like Matthew. Honestly, is you ever hear Winterfall the vocalist is a clone of Matthew Barlow.

Then again maybe fans would like like to hear a singer with a slightly different voice. Not too different though cause then they wouldn't be able to do their old songs live very well.

That singer is a mirror image of matt barlow, if jon wants to keep it the same and have this guy, i really wouldn't obejct but we shall see. It will be someone who has to match some of what Matt was doing vocally.

I´d like to see someone different...... Like: Beto Ferris the ex-vocal of Eminence (Brazilian death metal band). He is great, his voice is strong and powerfulll. Or Max Cavalera..... It´s a good idea.....