New Iced Earth vocalist. [opinions..]

asphyXy

Clad in Shadows
Sep 3, 2002
Under a Funeral Moon
asphyxy.net
Rather than discuss this in all the Matt topics, let's just move on and discuss the future. Who would you like to see fronting Iced Earth?

My top two candidates are Eric Hawk and Mike Vescera.

Eric Hawk is the vocalist for an old power metal band called Artch. they had 2 albums in the late 80s/early 90s. Eric Hawk recently did guest vocals for Gardenian, too. Great vocalist. has a resemblance to Dickinson, but you have to hear him. Listen to Deserted by Gardenian. he does the chorus in this song.

Mike Vescera did the vocals for Yngwie Malmsteen's The Seventh Sign album [among other things, but he really shined with Yngwie]. I know he has his own thing going called MVP [Mike Vescera Project], but i can imagine his vocals fitting perfectly with songs like Burnt Offerings and Stormrider live. I'd pick Eric Hawk over Mike, but Mike would be an excellent choice.

Hopefully Jon has one of, if not both of these talented musicians in consideration. Any other hopes/suggestions?

I don't really see a power metal vocalist fitting in. I always liked the deeper, clean sung voice style that a lot of bands have. Matt could scream, but his singing voice was lower then dickinson's.

Honestly, Hansi Kurich sounded a bit like Barlow on "Heaven Denies" off the Demons and Wizards album, so I wouldn't mind him in the band.

Actually, i am wondering if people want someone who sounds a lot like barlow, or someone who sounds completely different. Personally, i would like to see someone totally different, but still kicks ass. Thta would bring a whole nother lever to iced earth's music... mabey vintersorg if he could find time between vintersorg, borknagar, and havayoth.

I want someone who sounds completely different. Like I said before, I do not want Matt Barlow version 2 or Ripper Owens. I think a lot of bands that lose a core member make the mistake of trying to resurrect him. When a band tries to do that, it doesn't work, because it is just not the same. I hope that Schaffer does not make this mistake. Also, I listened to Eric Hawk, and I do not think his voice is right for Iced Earth. He doesn't have a bad voice, in fact, it is very good (right when I heard him, I immediately thought of Dickinson), but I just don't think his voice fits into Iced Earth's sound. I could be wrong though, and I am just going to wait and see what happens.

i had the fact that the songs were written while matt was in the band in mind, too. too drastic of a change might not fit with the GB album. eric hawk's voice would fit their old stuff perfectly.

As long as it ISNT a power metal vocalist (and I dont think Jon will choose one).

I know a lot of people say that Jon is Iced Earth,but after 5 albums Matt gave Iced Earth such a strong feeling that I can't imagine someone else singing stuff like I died for you or Dracula.Can't think of any names

someone with a deep dark voice is needed, after all it's one of the main factors that sets IE apart from and being lumped into the cheesy power metal genre. a regular PM vocalist just wont do, he needs a deep voice with a wide range, i'm telling you right now this might spell the end of Iced Earth, even if they find a replacement I just can't see any other human possible to fill Matt's shoes. If John does a worldwide search maybe he (and us) will get lucky. I'm sorry to say but I just don't have a good feeling about this.