Got Banned

Alrighty then. As the resident old timer around here, I guess I'm a bit qualified.

I joined what was then the Maiden Downunder Unoffical Fan Club in early 1999 (hosted on www.mahke.com!). There was maybe 6 to 12 of us at the time, and one of them was Ironcross. Crossy was also running the Maiden Australia website/webzine. Around the time of the reunion announcement it was decided to leverage the singergies and refocus the branding, and the two sites merged with the Maiden Australia content and the Maiden Downunder Unoffical Fan Club forum under the banner and URL of Maiden Downunder.

Things were peaceful in the kingdom for many months, but slowly tensions arose between the two rulers of the realm (they're still unclear, and for being able to keep them private I have a great deal of respect for both Mark and Crossy. My theory is that Mark wanted to expand into other metal areas, and Crossy wanted to concentrate on Maiden specifically.). Thus Crossy went into exile and started Maiden Clansmen Downunder (I think it was), and Mark, in addition to running Maiden Downunder, gave birth to Ultimate Metal (along with Spiffo). (It didn't happen that quickly, mind you).

After a while, people started dropping off MD and it wasn't really worth having a dedicated forum for the few of us that were still there, not to mention the whole 'zine side of things, so we got embraced by the greater beast of UM, which is where we remain today. It was a good move as it introduced others from neighboring forums, and the traffic and numbers has been pretty stable for the last few years.

It's true that during the days of the peaceful reign we were part of the push to get Maiden down here for BNW. We had petitions and flyers and stuff like that. In fact, pretty much any advertising you saw was put up by us, and a great deal of it was actually paid for by us. I think EMI Australia saw us a their own personal street team, and gave us a handful of "official" flyers to pass around. They were about 3 inches by 5 inches, and I've still got a stack of them if anyone wants to see one. Anything larger than that was advertising for both the album and MD, and paid for by MD members. We had EMI's blessing to use the logo and Eddie and everything. It was also up to us to run around to all of the record stores and ask to put stuff up in their windows.

I think in return the guys in Sydney got an invite to the pre-release listening party, while the rest of us got bupkis.

Once they didn't tour (or even acknowledge us) again, everyone started drifting away, and I think that's where the rot started to set in.

I'm actually at a loss as to how I found MD in the first place. I think I joined here originally in early 2000 or so when it was running the first board software before Mark moved it to vBulletin.

Did someone make a mention of it in the newsgroup maybe?

That's sooo metal....

I think i came here through the IM forum, way back when I was just discovering the wide brown land of internet, Mark's now wife told me about this place

I think Phloggy's sort of right, but the timeline is a bit iffy. I shall alert Mark to this thread and I'm sure he will be able to contribute to it.

And Salty, my movie forum isn't coming back any time soon. :)

A few of us migrated from the official forum from memory.

God that was a long time ago now, my memory is hazy on the matter. Same problem as Tim. I recall the few of us from the start, who was it now. Mark, Spiff, crossy, phloggy, Trent, losfer, me and a few others I cannot remember. Boy time flies.

Hello chaps :)

Ok, here is the history of Maiden Downunder, as far as I can recall.

At the time, I was running Maiden Central, which started early '99 about a week after the reunion announcement. However, I have a feeling Maiden Downunder *as a website* was already up and running, with a webzine/newsletter etc. This was contributed to by myself, Spiff, Ironcross, LosferWords, and some others I think.

The first Maiden Downunder forum was, I think, part of Maiden Central's forum (along with Spiff's Blaze forum) -- Spiff's one was the defacto Blaze board, in fact. Anyway, that was back in 99.

In 2000, BNW was released, and MD initiated a full-on poster promo deal in Sydney and Melbourne, which was in fact more than EMI did :) The NSW guys got invited to the listening party for BNW.

Earlier in 2000, I had gone to Sanctuary to visit their web team (Sarah [Skunk] and Polly [Addie]) as they were sussing me out for the job I'd eventually take on in September that year. While there, I saw what they were planning for Metal-Is, and intrigued by the fact that they were covering no *new* bands astonished me - this was at the time when Opeth were really hitting hard, yet they had no articles planned about them. Basically, that inspired me to create UM as an indie metal zine.

MD continued on at the Maiden Central forum for this entire time. When I relaunched UM as a forum-based site, the first forums which were launched on it were MD's, the Blaze forum, and Opeth's official forum (which accounted for about 80% of the traffic!:)). That would have been in April 2001, as indicated by the 'join date' of the only true MD members :D

I'm trying to verify all the above by using the Wayback machine at archive.org, but it's timing out on me... I'm pretty sure Phloggy was there near the early days tho?

I have a vague recollection of posting at Maiden Central back in the day.... I wonder if I'm even close to being not full of shit? HAHA!

I do know I was one of the first to join up on UM when it moved to this software in 2001 - user #7 I believe! :D Keepin' it real, yo - old schoolz stylez!

So, who are the stayers then?

Mark
April 12th, 2001

dreamwatch
April 12th, 2001

ironcross
April 13th, 2001

Cooperman
April 13th, 2001

phlogiston
April 13th, 2001

TinMan666
April 13th, 2001

Lord Tim
April 13th, 2001

MERLYN
April 14th, 2001

Sydo
April 14th, 2001

Invisible Boy
April 14th, 2001

Joe Salami
April 14th, 2001

Maiden Australia
April 14th, 2001

Blitzkrieg
April 14th, 2001

Trixxi Trash
April 14th, 2001

Icarus
April 14th, 2001

spawn
April 14th, 2001

Spiff
April 14th, 2001

9mm
April 15th, 2001

Aces_High
April 15th, 2001

duellist
April 15th, 2001

Kem
April 15th, 2001

Eddy
April 16th, 2001

Bucko
April 16th, 2001

Los4words
April 16th, 2001

MRCROWLEY
April 16th, 2001

Seventh Son
April 16th, 2001

Wrathchild
April 16th, 2001

Winmar
April 16th, 2001

:D

I miss some of those guys! :(

The guy who got me on this board was IRON DAVE, we worked together in the Commonwealth Bank , is was Maiden Australia Matt Coffey from Henry's Anger

Damn I was April 27th 2001...

I remember it being Maiden Central, I think I found it when the reunion was announced and I started trolling for info!