Graveland - help

Mercy/Severity said:
Is Graveland a band for me? If so, which album/s?
I enjoy my black metal the most when it is epic and atmospheric, the likes of Ulver's 'Bergtatt', Summoning, Bathory, Woods of Ypres etc.

Thoughts? Cheers.

starting with Immortal Pride it's been Hammerheart-esque though the latest is more violent and less atmospheric. You shouldn't be disappointed by the album Fire of Awakening

you can download mp3s from the website

http://www.vinlandwinds.com/graveland/

you can also listen to Lord Wind. It's not metal, it's orchestral music. Though I strongly advise not to buy the very first LW album without listening to it first (because I think it's pretty bad and it doesn't sound like the two others anyway), you can buy Heralds of Fight without hesitation. It's powerful epic battle music

Graveland lyrics are also full of a deep historical background so you might learn something whe you listen too them... *sarcasm* ;-) I especially enjoy the first albums. The demos aren´t that good and the new albums aren´t that too.

Freanan said:
If you like Burzum you might also find Graveland rather boring.

Primarily because Graveland often lack the momentum Burzum consistently carried, particularly in albums like Following... and The Fire of Awakening. Still, Darken manages to save these albums with his ear for striking, spirited melodies.

Thousand Swords is easily the most interesting, beautiful Graveland piece, but perhaps not the best entry point. I'd plump for The Fire of Awakening as being very accessible yet strong, but don't expect it not to be flawed.

genocide roach said:
atmospheric and epic are 2 prime ways to describe graveland. ive been trying to buy more graveland myself, but alot of shops and online stores dont carry em.
~gR~

Check VinlandWinds.com, I bought Fire of Awakening there, and they had a lot of the other Graveland albums there too