Great albums nobody talks about

Random Axe

Common Sense Man!
Sep 27, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
Visit site
I can't say they've never been discussed here but these have NEVER been given their due. These are albums that kick my ass that probably no one else listens to or owns, which may totally be a sign of poor taste on my part. Here we go...

Borealis/Fall From Grace - I vaguely remember these guys playing a thursday gig at PP? This is some super strong melodic metal that is somewhere in between Fifth Angel, Nocturnal Rites and Symphony X. I hear they are working on the follow-up. I'll be in line for that.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlyGipTG0nY&list=PLfR46vYja5p2varf7SMeuGT_-egYaXXKR&index=10[/ame]

Vox Tempus/In the Eye of Time - Super melodic, minimal progginess but oh so tasty. One of my top 15 all-timers here. Vocals remind me of Divine Regale with more accessible music. Just top-notch stuff.

Sky of Rage/self -titled - IF anyone missed the proggishpower sounds of the Cloudscape debut and that general era, this is definitely for you. They have cut from the same cloth and the vocalist sounds like a combination of Mike Andersson and Thomas Vikkstrom. SOme of the lyrics will elicit a cringe or two but overall what an ass-kicking album that I doubt anyone outside of Sweden has heard.

Mara/Poetry in Motion - Okay I know there's nobody here familiar with this one. It's a local band from Cincinnati that really nailed this album. It's a must for fans of the AOR-ish, British prog rock of the 90's, fans of The Quest, Bronz and some commercialized Kansas will love this. The guitarist still does some acoustic gigs here I attend, and I'm trying to get him to do these tuned unplugged. Another top 15-20 album for me.

Darwin's Radio/Eyes of the World - I doubt anyone has this or even likes it but it really is a special album to me. I'd been talking back and forth years ago with the singer/guitarist and became friends so I'm a little biased. This is light, prog rock from England with some nice melodies. Nothing overly complex or heavy, just good chill music.

Cloakwheel/This Crooked Path You've Drawn - THIs is some great, dark modern prog rock with a serious AiC and Saigon Kick feel. They were one and done with this album but it made a lasting impression with me. This is so damn obscure I cannot find a youtube sample.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say they've never been discussed here but these have NEVER been given their due. These are albums that kick my ass that probably no one else listens to or owns, which may totally be a sign of poor taste on my part. Here we go...

Borealis/Fall From Grace - I vaguely remember these guys playing a thursday gig at PP? This is some super strong melodic metal that is somewhere in between Fifth Angel, Nocturnal Rites and Symphony X. I hear they are working on the follow-up. I'll be in line for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlyGipTG0nY&list=PLfR46vYja5p2varf7SMeuGT_-egYaXXKR&index=10

Borealis is one of my all-time favourite bands. I've listened to them since shortly after the first album came out and have seen them live about 4 or 5 times. The new album should be out this year, and it sounds like they're moving even further into the progressive territory.

Personally, I don't really like progressive metal or when power metal bands play more progressive sounds, so I like the first album a lot better than the second. With that said, both are masterpieces for me.

Powermad - Absolute Power. This is some oldschool stuff.......The band was basically an American thrash and with a European power metal style vocalist and it worked well !!!

Slightly more modern...... only 15 years old ha ha ha......... Avalon Eurasia. To me, this is Red Circuit's lead songer, Chitral Somapala's masterpiece. This os one of those "deserted island" releases for me.

I picked up the Vox Tempus album really cheap at a Progpower and it is a damn good album.

A couple more that come to mind:

Greyhaven- s/t

They only did one album as far as I know, but what an album.

MindKey - Pulse For A Graveheart

Someone recommended this to me and I really liked it. I'm still waiting for a followup.

Pulling one out of the horse & buggy archives:
Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush Live

Marillion- Clutching at Straws.
I am anticipating that most on this forum agree, but outside of this realm, it has virtually been unheard of.

The road this album takes me on is filled with emotion. The excesses of booze and cocaine use....An island disc for me, but outside of our group.... "Who the hell is Marillion!?"

Cloakwheel/This Crooked Path You've Drawn - THIs is some great, dark modern prog rock with a serious AiC and Saigon Kick feel. They were one and done with this album but it made a lasting impression with me. This is so damn obscure I cannot find a youtube sample.

It IS on Spotify though. Go figure. I added it to my list of albums to check out.