Great albums with less than 100 RYM ratings

25963.jpg

Enjoyed this a lot, cheers man. I think I can really get into symphonic metal when it comes out of left-field like these guys do.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Enjoyed this a lot, cheers man. I think I can really get into symphonic metal when it comes out of left-field like these guys do.
Glad to hear that! The other two albums I listed feature more female vocals if I recall, and that adds nicely to the cacophony. The albums after these have some great moments, but they're not as nicely packaged as the first three.

Reactions: CiG

There's a million bands named Epitaph but the Florida death metal Epitaph is the best Epitaph. Both these demos are sitting at 31 and 15. You'll notice on RYM that a related artist is Cynic because guitarist/vocalist Tony Teegarden did the growls on Focus. Imagine if Cynic had continued in the direction of the Roadrunner demo for a bit longer before getting to Focus. John Tardy on the first song.

Valkyrie - Deeds of Prowess 1986. Just 45 ratings! If I had known it was so low I'd have shared it earlier, I just assumed it was enough of a cult classic to break 100. Glorious, epic, soaring, majestic true metal from the Netherlands. :kickass:

Also what the fuck, Wotan's debut doesn't even have 50 ratings? Craziness.

81+7BaihHLL._SS500_.jpg

Only 29 ratings here. Lassitude is an album with several lengthy tracks in the black/doom/sludge/post metal arena. They're not in metal archives, but I for the life of me can't figure out why. Anyways, it contains huge, desolate soundscapes, pounding drums and tortured vocals. Do yourselves a favor and give this a spin.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/fleshpress

You knew this was coming. Or perhaps anyone that actually pays attention to what I write on here might have guessed this was coming. I've fellated Fleshpress innumerable times on this board throughout the years, even not so long ago in CIG's sludge thread. Every freaking album save for The Art of Losing All and Pillars has under 100 ratings. For anyone unfamiliar, they began life as a sludge/doom band but right away carved out their own niche with their lengthy psychedelic ambient passages and soon enough black metal crept its way into their sound too.

They've basically been in their own weird little corner of psych metal ever since Tearing Skyholes. Very little reference points can be drawn from those recent albums. In a way, they're kind of at the point where fellow Fins Oranssi Pazuzu are at in that both began playing their own unique takes on very identifiable genres (black and sludge) but on later albums use the influence of said genres to build something more avant-garde and cosmic. Really incredible band if you're willing to go to some hazy places. Mikko Aspa is the drummer but they seem immune to the butthurt DsO gets. Probably a good and bad thing, depending on who you ask.

Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
Rat Attack - Rat Attack

one of my all-time favourite NWOBHM records is from hawaii (the vocalist is actually from the band hawaii too lmao). click the youtube and you'll know if you're gonna like it within 5 seconds. noisy moody stuff with some great epic twin leads. only had 6 ratings when i rated it but it's up to 49 now, so people are hopefully catching on!

27256.jpg

27258.jpg

36 and 26 ratings. Formed by Dan Rock of Psychotic Waltz and Siggi Blasey of End Amen after that project folded (which also has under 100 ratings). Instrumental prog. Very psychedelic and sci-fi inspired. Anyone that wanted even more of that classy, spacey psych prog sound on Bleeding but with an even bigger emphasis on blissed out atmosphere should find these ideal mind (and ear) food.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
27256.jpg

27258.jpg

36 and 26 ratings. Formed by Dan Rock of Psychotic Waltz and Siggi Blasey of End Amen after that project folded (which also has under 100 ratings). Instrumental prog. Very psychedelic and sci-fi inspired. Anyone that wanted even more of that classy, spacey psych prog sound on Bleeding but with an even bigger emphasis on blissed out atmosphere should find these ideal mind (and ear) food.

Evidently they hired the Chasm's artist for their covers.

Reactions: rms
Those are better than Corchado's garbage designs for Conjuration of the Spectral Empire and The Spell of Retribution. I could be mistaken but that looks like Travis Smith work to me.

Some solid thrashy early Morbid Angel worship from Poland, just 20 ratings and released in 1993.

Late 90's Latvian prog/tech-death metal with 59 ratings. Fucking love this album.

Mephisto Lettonica was one of my very first internet-discovered albums I loved, Solar being probably the fruitiest melodeath song I still love thanks to nostalgia. Took too long to listen to their first album though so it never won me over in that way.

R-964831-1552335581-5743.jpeg.jpg

Mentioned this in passing in the Darkstar post. 80 ratings. This was a side project of Dan Rock of Psychotic Waltz and Uwe Osterlehner of Deathrow. It's actually a strange album because there's these really great, almost power metal sounding keyboards that fit in with everything else but there's also these weirder synth sounds and samples that are very much of their time (1992) that really give this its own peculiar identity.

21600.jpg

Only 10 ratings. Spanish death/doom from 1996. Certainly informed by the early sounds of the Peaceville 3, My Dying Bride and Anathema especially. Pretty interesting vocals at times which admittedly is due to the heavy accent. Another one with great synths.

Reactions: CiG