Great Lyrics or Lyric Writing

BlackMetalWhiteGuy

Manly Man!
Apr 15, 2007
Cooperstown and Oswego, NY
After six and a half years of writing music, I attempted writing lyrics for the first time this past week and I'm not that impressed with what I've come up with. I wasn't expecting to sit down and write incredible lyrics on my first try, but I was curious if anyone could provide some pointers or insight to help get me past some of these obstacles.

1) No experience. Obviously, I'll just have to keep practicing.

2) I've never been that impressed with lyrics in general as I typically view them as the least important aspect of a composition and I generally view vocals as just another instrument rather than something uniquely expressive within a composition. Consequently, regardless of whether I'm listening to one of my favorite bands, or pop music on the radio, I find that even after several listens I probably haven't learned any of the words and I often still have no clue what even the general lyrical theme is.

3) I don't want my own lyrics to be arbitrary. I have already decided upon a unifying, cohesive theme of ecology and natural history. However, I don't know of any precedent for this, so I have no examples from which to learn, study, or find new inspiration.

Anyway, if any of you feel like copying and pasting some of your favorite lyrics into this thread, or sharing some writing tips, that would be appreciated.

Also, in case anyone is interested in seeing what I've written so far, this is all of it.
Matthew F. Tabor
Reproductus Elitis

It Came From The Water

The water's glistening surface
Impenetrable as it may seem
A barrier between two worlds
Each mutually out of reach

*more lyrics here*
A new face peers out from beneath

From cave and swamp to land and sky,
has every niche been conquered?
As life reaches so far and wide,
what is left, but to wonder?
While we march on, convinced of our
mastery, we remember
that once upon a time we came from it,
and it came from the water.

We came from it and it came from the water.​

Those are fine. Their quality depends largely on how they'll be performed. Also, don't be afraid to use bizzaro grammar.

Yeah, those are good lyrics man. Also, you don't have to rhyme if you wish not to. Sometimes it feels more sincere that way. imo

Try writing some music to it and putting it up, then we can really see how it comes out. I think music and lyrics must work together, I mean like you said, it's another instrument.

So the lyrical theme itself is interesting, so much that I have no suggestion or idea to change up your lyrics to flow more because you may already have what you want right there.

For what you've tried to go for I think you did it alright. :headbang:

Thanks for your input guys, your reviews exceeded my expectations. Also, would anyone be willing to post examples of lyrics that impress you? They don't have to be related to the theme that I've chosen, I just want to study good lyrics in general.
Try writing some music to it and putting it up, then we can really see how it comes out. I think music and lyrics must work together, I mean like you said, it's another instrument.
Thanks for the suggestion. I took a tapping riff that I wrote two days ago, created a vocal melody over it and tried to match pitch. I was actually surprised by how good it sounded, since clean vocals and tapping are not two things that I would intuitively associate. It's also in phrygian dominant and my vocals are very deep, so it sounds quite distinctive. I'm not sure about uploading it though, because my internet connection is very slow, and I'm also not so sure about how many people want to listen to me singing over general MIDI :lol:

Thanks for your input guys, your reviews exceeded my expectations. Also, would anyone be willing to post examples of lyrics that impress you? They don't have to be related to the theme that I've chosen, I just want to study good lyrics in general.

The only lyrics that really interest me are personal lyrics. War, satanism, mythology, or ecology, such lyrical themes don't matter much at all to me but if they're decently written they can often do a great job complimenting the music.

But as mentioned above, personal lyrics are the ones I really care to pay attention to. I'm definitely a sucker for angst and existentialism. I like my lyrics clear enough to be understood easily and vague enough to leave something for interpretation.

I am going to post examples of some of my favourite lyrics. Some of my favourite lyrics are quite simple and I love them just because they work so well in context; I opt not post these.

I intended to post more examples but thinking of some is taking longer than expected. I might add more later.

I never really dove into DT's "pull me under" but man that song has some nice lyrics.

I have also tried to write lyrics in the past but most often not like whatever it is that I have written down. I often have two great sentances and then the rest just wont follow. I find that I am often stuck writing about the same kind of thing but that I cant express it good enough in that simple yet complex way that I wish.

I am a huge sucker for great lyrics so I also have very high standars I would like to live up to which probably doesnt make it any easier.

2) I've never been that impressed with lyrics in general as I typically view them as the least important aspect of a composition and I generally view vocals as just another instrument rather than something uniquely expressive within a composition. Consequently, regardless of whether I'm listening to one of my favorite bands, or pop music on the radio, I find that even after several listens I probably haven't learned any of the words and I often still have no clue what even the general lyrical theme is.

I'd recommend listening to music where the lyrics play a dominant role, such as folk. Music is of course monumentally important, but there are plenty of songwriters whose music would be nothing without the words. Try listening to artists like Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen or Gordon Lightfoot.

And of course, there's always Bob Dylan.

I have found writing lyrics much easier than music, but the lyrics have to fit the music, so the music has to come first.
Certain melodies give me mental images and then I can write lyrics from the mental images.
Most of my lyrics wind up being apocalyptic/libertarian in nature though. Go figure :p

I have also tried to write lyrics in the past but most often not like whatever it is that I have written down. I often have two great sentances and then the rest just wont follow.

I also have this problem, write a few great lines, then the rest is just mediocre. I even have the problem where the lyrics differ from different feelings or events and it just looks like a mixed song, so I throw it all out.

Ever considered writing lyrics in a Meshuggah style? Screw grammar, just get little images and ideas out there. You can still make it meaningful and personal.