Greatest Death Metal Release (no bullshit 'top ten' lists!)

Push me into a corner, and I have to go with Gorguts-"Obscura". I never heard anything like it when it came out. The most ridiculous piece of Metal ever. Then any "Death" album. My absolute favorite band in death/metal. To this day I haven't heard a better guitar player in Metal than Chuck. He was ripping and clean. I'm sure there's some Death/Metal I haven't heard, but Gorguts and Death just bend you over and slam you, and when you think their done, they grab you by the hair and skullfuck you.

Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick, because it´s a fuckin morbid(Fall From Grace) and sick(Day Of Suffering) and disgusting(Blessed Are The Sick/Leading The Rats) and beautiful(Desolate Ways) and evil(Unholy Blasphemies) masterpiece

A recent death metal album that I really liked was Bolt Thrower's Those Once Loyal.

Immensely enjoyable tracks like Anti-Tank and Granite Wall and a really crunchy production that brings out the best the band could do. I understand that their earlier albums are typically rated higher and they've been sticking to the same formula for a couple of decades now but this album is definitely my favourite.

But I guess if I have to choose a single album from the genre then it has to be a popular choice; Death's Symbolic.
Carcass's Heartwork is a good choice too.

On this day I am going to have to go with Left Hand Path by Entombed. So good, as are Blessed are the Sick, Gothic (Paradise Lost) and Pestilence's Consuming Impulse.

excellent choices, Abhorsen, those would all be in my Top 10. my number one would probably have to be Entombed's Clandestine. the songwriting on that album is absolutely stellar from start to finish, and has yet to be matched imo. other close runners up would be Symphonies of Sickness (yeah I know it's grindcore stfu) and Altars of Madness.

A recent death metal album that I really liked was Bolt Thrower's Those Once Loyal.

and great to see some Bolt Thrower appreciation. that's a fine album, as is most of their discography (especially For Victory). I saw them live last year and they put on one of the best live metal performances I have ever seen, and I have seen a shitload

they're a great band, and yeap they've stuck to the same formula all these years - it's part of their charm really. when Bolt Thrower churn out an album, you know what you're going to get, and you know it's going to be good. :)

excellent choices, Abhorsen, those would all be in my Top 10. my number one would probably have to be Entombed's Clandestine. the songwriting on that album is absolutely stellar from start to finish, and has yet to be matched imo. other close runners up would be Symphonies of Sickness (yeah I know it's grindcore stfu) and Altars of Madness.

Clandestine is unmatched indeed. Both Clandestine and Blessed are followups to records considered among the absolute top in death metal,yet i find both the later ones to whip them of the tracks

Augury - Concealed

Runners up:

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Cynic - Focus
Death - Symbolic
Gojira - Terra Incognita
Gorguts - Obscura
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Quo Vadis - Day Into Night

that was months ago. i remember you talking about proposing to him, but you were a little tipsy so i didn't know how serious you were. :p