Greatest Prog Bands of All Time

PhrygianMajorMaster

New Metal Member
Jun 6, 2006
Hi everyone, i'm new, and decided to write something very obvious and conversational, as newbies do. Anyway, who likes prog rock? Everyone, wow! So, who are the rulers of the genre? (This extends to sub-genres like symphonic prog, neo-classical, experimental, etc.).

Here's my list of the 5 best prog metal artists (in no particular order):

Dream Theater
Symphony X
Liquid Tension Experiment
Queensryche
Fates Warning

However, I believe the best prog rock artists of all time are (again in no particular order):

Yes
Genesis
King Crimson
ELP
Frank Zappa
Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Rush
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jethro Tull

By the way, anyone here a big jazz fan?

Welcome PhrygianMajorMaster. I pretty much agree with you on both accounts with the exception of Jethro Tull as I have yet to hear their music *runs*. Also add Opeth to the list.

The thing about music now days is its all very contreversal... Alot of bands now days play more than one sub-genre! Power/progressive/symphonic/black ect being sub genres and Metal being the genre... and people have differ'nt opinions on what is what... :(

I wasn't much of a music person untill I meet Symphony X. That being said I never really liked metal that much either... I was into like America and Chris De Bourgh... (and some old linkin park before Jay Z came into play and ruined them with rap...) around the days I listened only to Chris De Bourgh being like 2 years ago, I was introduced to symphony X which strangely enough intrigued me since I hated alot of metal. Symphony X managed to spark my imagination to further extents than ever... + their is just so much flavour to be found in their music you know, symphony X as musicians are brilliant, and could make any genre of music enjoyable!

That being said I knew of Rush and the other yes... they never really interested me untill I really got into symphony X, where basically metal became a passion for me! To me Symphony X & Dream Theater in a close 2nd are todays Progressive Metal idols. However when it comes to pionering the style, I think it started with Iron Maiden and their buddy Eddie!

Rush and Yes and all them are mostly Rock. Progressive Rock at that, I have alot of 'MUCH' older friends who love Rush to death and other bands as well...to them progressive rock, is rock with an edge... Anyhoot enough of a rant. Carry on!

PS: I know its odd...and probably everyone hear hats rap...But I'm willing to bet Russell Allen could rap better than the best. (This is just an attachment to me saying how Symphony X could make any music genre sound good)

Symphony X
DT
Ayreon
opeth (like someone above, I think they fall in the death and prog metal categories)
liquid tension experiment
transatlantic
spocks beard
the mars volta (I dunno what category they fall under, but I like to think of them as at least partially prog)

Yes
Jethro Tull
led zeppelin
rush
pink floyd
emerson, lake, and palmer
asia
gentle giant
steve howe
kansas

(In order)

Prog Metal:
1. Dream Theater
2. Opeth
3. Edge Of Sanity
4. Symphony X
5. Green Carnation
6. Queensryche

Those are the only 6 that I really like for metal...

Prog Rock:
1. Rush
2. Yes
3. Pink Floyd
4. Jethro Tull

Those are the only prog bands that I really like. I would pick Kansas, but I only liked 2 of their songs.

Oh nobody did write Camel? I think they are great!!! Some other prog rock: Collage, Anglagard, The Watch...

Also some other metal: Adagio, Planet X, Artension, Royal Hunt,

Journey

Bands that haven't been mentioned quite yet:
Vanden Plas
That's really about it.

And as for your jazz question: I kind of listen to it, or at least something resembling jazz. I got a ton of Yoko Kanno albums and a few Victor Wooten/Bela Fleck albums. Jack DeJohnette too...Only 1, but it's mighty. Oh yeah, Dave Weckl's Live and Very Plugged In.

My favorite bands fall under those categories:

Symphony X
Adagio
Opeth
Dream Theater
Circus Maximus (Not mentioned yet, surprisingly enough)
Liquid Tension Experiment
Vanden Plas

The only prog rock bands I like are Rush and Porcupine Tree, and I'm not even sure if PT should even be in that category.

Yeah, I sort of expected this general flow of opinion.

And as for your jazz question: I kind of listen to it, or at least something resembling jazz. I got a ton of Yoko Kanno albums and a few Victor Wooten/Bela Fleck albums. Jack DeJohnette too...Only 1, but it's mighty. Oh yeah, Dave Weckl's Live and Very Plugged In.

That's cool. Both Wooten, Weckl and DeJognette are icons in the drum/bass arenas. Weckl has featured in the Chick Corea Elektric Band. An awesome blend of jazz and a fusion of other styles. Amazing musicianship, and Frank Gamabale shreds!

I consider jazz to be the most complex form of music, being less regimented and more free than classical styles. Not that I don't like classical, far from it. But that's what I like about jazz, the experimental feel and vibe. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was into it, that's all. There are lots of awesome musicians in the fusion scene in particular who would appeal to the likes of many of you here. e.g. Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Chick Corea Elekctric Band, etc.

I've heard Mahavishnu Orchestra, Chick Corea's both Elektrik and Akoustik bands. Frank Gambale's a psycho, plain and simple. Wooten is a monster, but he has so much emotion in his music that it's glorious. Some of the most gorgeous music I've ever heard is from that man. What albums has Weckl played on of Corea's? I'd be VERY interested in hearing it.

I also agree that jazz is mighty complex. I find the whole idea of heads and comping so refreshing after listening to months of heavy stuff. I was in a huge huge huge Yoko Kanno phase the last month or two. She does the music to the anime Cowboy Bebop, and it's probably some of the best music I've heard period. If you like music in general, you'll like her stuff.

PhrygianMajorMaster said:
I consider jazz to be the most complex form of music, being less regimented and more free than classical styles. Not that I don't like classical, far from it. But that's what I like about jazz, the experimental feel and vibe. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was into it, that's all.
I'm into some jazz, and I love how it can be ridiculously complicated but retain "the experimental and free vibe." But still, I'm pretty selective. I think it's great what they do, but I'm rarely in the mood to listen to it. I'm a little bit more of a classical guy, I guess.

OfSinsAndShred said:
I'm into some jazz, and I love how it can be ridiculously complicated but retain "the experimental and free vibe." But still, I'm pretty selective. I think it's great what they do, but I'm rarely in the mood to listen to it. I'm a little bit more of a classical guy, I guess.
Exactly the same here.