Green carnation

Of the 60:06 on light of day, day of darkness, about 20:02 are good... not a good percentage... But there is a passage on there, i think it repeats, but I think its really good song structure. From 11:27 til 17:56... great stuff there.

The track 'Falling into Darkness' from Green Carnation's Journey to the End of the Night album is totally o_O :hotjump: :loco: :worship: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :kickass: etc.
It does what GY!BE attempt to do over 20-30mins in less than 3 min.
It alone makes up for whatever crap they are releasing now.

Green Carnation is one of my favorite bands. I'm really looking forward to seeing them this summer. Do any of you guys have the dvd? It's really great, very talented band. :D

Longinus said:
Oh really?

I think they suck beyond what's comprehendible.

The vocals are probably the biggest turn off.

Well, I got a friend who I played Still Life, then Blessing In Disguise for. His reaction was that Still Life sucked beyond comprehension compared to Blessing In Disguise. It's all subjective. But I agree with my friend that Blessing in Disguise has more depth, and feeling to it, as well overall character than Still Life. Lately, I have been getting burned out if not bored with Opeth's stuff. I find thier song arrangements to be too dragged out, if not boring for my taste. Plus, thier tendancy to go over the same theme (death) on every album spoils it for me. Maybe my taste is maturing or shifting....who know's.

Longinus said:
Oh really?

I think they suck beyond what's comprehendible.

The vocals are probably the biggest turn off.
I also find it odd you say Green Carnation sucks beyond what's comprehensable. After all, Opeth and Green Carnation are not all that different. That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've heared in this forum. Strange. Strange.

shark22 said:
I also find it odd you say Green Carnation sucks beyond what's comprehensable. After all, Opeth and Green Carnation are not all that different. That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've heared in this forum. Strange. Strange.

Dude, if you write "heared" one more time... I don't think I'll be able to read anymore of your posts. For the last time, its "heard." Dont you live in America???

shark22 said:

that may be true to some small extent. however Opeth writes fantastic material which is interesting, progressive, aggressive and intense. Green Carnation writes quite bland and average material that pretends to be most of those things. "in my opinion". ;)

BurningSky said:
Dude, if you write "heared" one more time... I don't think I'll be able to read anymore of your posts. For the last time, its "heard." Dont you live in America???
:D :tickled: :tickled:

AlexGuinness said:
I'll let you know what I think.

If I do deserve one, I will personally invite you to give it a go at Wacken, if you are there...

I have now dug the CD out and given it a couple of listens.

As I thought, I was not overly impressed. It is all well and good, but just fails to excite. They are not doing anything wrong, but not doing anything new either.

I think I am just getting old, I am wanting more and more from extreme music at the moment. It made me want to listen to Morbid Angel, in the same way that the Lost Soul album makes me want to take it out and replace it with Vader.

Still, the faux vinyl effect on the latest Earache promos gives them a little in the way of something interesting.

Looks like you get to kick my arse then...

AlexGuinness said:
It made me want to listen to Morbid Angel, in the same way that the Lost Soul album makes me want to take it out and replace it with Vader.

this is a very accurate and realistic comparison for so many metal bands these days. lack of variety, originality and excitement...of just rehashed and "safe" copy cats of their inspirations. That OR, people claiming to be cutting edge, or progressive or original....but it turns out being pretentious and poorly written crap.

hard to find anything new thats really good, or really worth listening to over the originators and master's of the style. I guess some people just really need that agressive metal fix all the time regardless if its above par, or really interesting musically. So many bands are thriving on medicore quality, and hype alone. For it to continue to hold my attention, I want the magic, the sweat, the drive, the no holds barred mentality that used to be in this genre back...not just the latest keyboard noodling, mindless shreddery, or "hardcore" breakdown gimics to get rich quick.

True, I will give them another listen when I am more in the mood for that kind of thing.

I am in quite a mellow music mood recently, so that is probably why I was so impressed by Green Carnation... all I knew about them was the mention of Tchort from the back of the Altered Genesis promo, mentioning Emperor, Carpathian Forest and Green Carnation. Needless to say, the music was more fitting to my current hunger.

Whilst on the subject, as I have only recently discovered the likes of Green Carnation, Dead Soul Tribe, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Pain Of Salvation, Neal Morse, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Saying Green Carnation is like Opeth is like saying Pain of Salvation is like Dream Theater.

AlexGuinness said:
True, I will give them another listen when I am more in the mood for that kind of thing.

I am in quite a mellow music mood recently, so that is probably why I was so impressed by Green Carnation... all I knew about them was the mention of Tchort from the back of the Altered Genesis promo, mentioning Emperor, Carpathian Forest and Green Carnation. Needless to say, the music was more fitting to my current hunger.

Whilst on the subject, as I have only recently discovered the likes of Green Carnation, Dead Soul Tribe, Porcupine Tree, The Flower Kings, Pain Of Salvation, Neal Morse, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations for me?

See if you can get youe hands on a copy of Blackfield, it is a project between Steven Wilson (You should all know who he is) and Aviv Geffen, an Israeli artist, if you like Porcupine Tree this will blow you away, because it's better, and harder to find, at least in Australia. I got it the other day and it's just awesome!

Night Mare said:
See if you can get youe hands on a copy of Blackfield, it is a project between Steven Wilson (You should all know who he is) and Aviv Geffen, an Israeli artist, if you like Porcupine Tree this will blow you away, because it's better, and harder to find, at least in Australia. I got it the other day and it's just awesome!

you feel blackfield is better than porcupine tree? hmmmmm....

BurningSky said:
I be livin in Merica. How bout I talk this way cuz we be livin in a free nation! Smoke weed ev'y day! Peace. :D

Comon man lyghten up, no wonder u be called BurninSky. You know I'm just playin wit chya. :p