Grindcore/Hardcore

:wave:

Grindcore - I love Napalm Death and Dying Fetus. You gotta love the speed and the aggression that is grindcore.

Hardcore - I like some of this. Bands like Biohazard, Madball and Shai Hulud come to mind.

Good to hear someone's into it! :wave:

Ever been to a live grindcore/hardcore-gig? It's pretty intense :D
And what do you think about The Locust? Heard them?

TheLocust said:
Good to hear someone's into it! :wave:

Ever been to a live grindcore/hardcore-gig? It's pretty intense :D
And what do you think about The Locust? Heard them?
Good grindcore is awesome, bad grindcore is terrible. I tend to stick with older stuff like Terrorizer, early Bolt Thrower and Napalm Death, etc.

If you mean hardcore as in just another synonym for punk, then I've been to literally hundreds of gigs, in fact I was at one last night. If you mean it for macho/sXe/tough-guy crap, no thanks. I've noticed that Norway has a pretty big hardcore scene. Are you into bands like Kafka Prosess, So Much Hate (yeah, same band pretty much :) ), Sista Dagers Helvete, Angor Wat? And I would trade a lung for an original vinyl copy of the first Kjøtt 7"! :)

And sorry, but I hate the Locust, and basically the whole emo/screamo genre (not entirely true, I dig Mohinder, and Rorschach may or may not be considered emo).

duckattack said:
Good grindcore is awesome, bad grindcore is terrible. I tend to stick with older stuff like Terrorizer, early Bolt Thrower and Napalm Death, etc.

If you mean hardcore as in just another synonym for punk, then I've been to literally hundreds of gigs, in fact I was at one last night. If you mean it for macho/sXe/tough-guy crap, no thanks. I've noticed that Norway has a pretty big hardcore scene. Are you into bands like Kafka Prosess, So Much Hate (yeah, same band pretty much :) ), Sista Dagers Helvete, Angor Wat? And I would trade a lung for an original vinyl copy of the first Kjøtt 7"! :)

And sorry, but I hate the Locust, and basically the whole emo/screamo genre (not entirely true, I dig Mohinder, and Rorschach may or may not be considered emo).
First of all... I will start by saying I totally agree with the first thing you said! It may sound logical (good/bad grindcore), but it's really true. If a grindcore band is poor, it really is terrible! :erk:

Yeah, i'm pretty proud of my country's hardcore scene!
It proves that black metal ain't the only thing we can... proudly present :tickled:
Where are you from, anyway?
Both Kafka Prosess and So Much Hate is brilliant! Though their material is pretty old. The Demo KP released in 2000 was actually recorded in 1987! Wonder if they're still going strong?
I haven't heard Sista Dagers Helvete? Sure they are not swedish?

Ever heard Jr Ewing? It's a pretty hyped hardcore band here in Norway, but I think it's GREAT! And especially live! Better check 'em out, if you haven't...

Don't like The Locust, huh?
To be honest, I really disliked that band first time i heard them, but after i heard their newest album, "Plague Soundscapes", I realised it's damn good (my oppinion :p )....

I'm from the States, I just listen to a lot of foreign punk/hc. Scandinavia (& Finland) produced some of the best punk bands ever - right now it seems that Denmark has one of the best scenes anywhere in the world for raw punk.

I haven't actually heard JR Ewing, but I certainly know of them, I think they were on tour the last time I was in Europe.

Living in Portland kinda ruined bands like The Locust for me - there was a huge emo/screamo scene here, and between the shitty fashion and even shittier attitudes of the people involved with it, I've had a hard time losing the prejudice I have against anything associated with that. I'm into enough different kinds of music that I don't feel like I have to be totally open-minded all the time :D .

Are you into bands like Remains of the Day, Tragedy, and From Ashes Rise? I'm not so much into that style of 'emo-crust' either, but they're all local for me.

duckattack said:
I'm from the States, I just listen to a lot of foreign punk/hc. Scandinavia (& Finland) produced some of the best punk bands ever - right now it seems that Denmark has one of the best scenes anywhere in the world for raw punk.

I haven't actually heard JR Ewing, but I certainly know of them, I think they were on tour the last time I was in Europe.

Living in Portland kinda ruined bands like The Locust for me - there was a huge emo/screamo scene here, and between the shitty fashion and even shittier attitudes of the people involved with it, I've had a hard time losing the prejudice I have against anything associated with that. I'm into enough different kinds of music that I don't feel like I have to be totally open-minded all the time :D .

Are you into bands like Remains of the Day, Tragedy, and From Ashes Rise? I'm not so much into that style of 'emo-crust' either, but they're all local for me.
Let me know if you found Jr Ewing good or not... if you decide to check them out, that is :p

I haven't heard any of the three bands you mention in the emo-genre! I'm actually not very familiar to grindcore and stuff like that. I just got into it!
But hardcore has been one of my favourite types of music in a long time! Unfortunately, the best (and only) place for hardcore-gigs in Oslo, "So What!", is closed down...! :erk:

Luminous: I like some Metalcore, but i've heard too many of the kind that involves clean vocal linkin parkish parts... i don't like that :loco:

Linkin Park? Are you joking? I have not heard a single metalcore band with any sound remotely like Linkin Park. The clean vocal parts are usually much softer, but I also listen to acoustic music such as Iron & Wine so it doesn't bother me when, say, Between the Buried and Me go from grind to acoustic indie stuff or when hastetheday go from Zao-esque rabid metalcore to modern rock. I like rock just as much as I like punk, so when bands mix the styles it just means that I will probably like it more as there is nothing as bad as a band which only plays one style and never deviates.

Well the first "Metalcore" band I was recommended was Killswitch Engage, who I hated and now know are not really metalcore. But maybe that's what he meant, because they definitely have a nu metal tinge to them...

Yeah, I love Bolt Thrower. Mercenary has some great songs.

I've seen Biohazard live. People were too scared to go near me headbanging so they were pretty much pansies. Seeing Dying Fetus live was pretty rough in there. When fat fuckers pushed me in the mosh pit, I just flied.

I like some metalcore bands but I find it annoying when they try to bring in clean/emo vocals into it like Caliban or From Autumn To Ashes for example. It totally ruins the song. When it comes to metalcore I just want all out aggression like Converge or Blessing The Hogs.

I like the clean parts just as much as the others, so it doesn't bother me. I actually prefer bands with clean parts as all out aggression stuff really bores me usually. But Converge aren't all out aggression, some of their stuff is extremely slow and kind of experimental, like the title track to Jane Doe and the two Phoenix songs. Hell, there's even a stoner rock song on that album.

LuminousAether said:
Linkin Park? Are you joking? I have not heard a single metalcore band with any sound remotely like Linkin Park. The clean vocal parts are usually much softer, but I also listen to acoustic music such as Iron & Wine so it doesn't bother me when, say, Between the Buried and Me go from grind to acoustic indie stuff or when hastetheday go from Zao-esque rabid metalcore to modern rock. I like rock just as much as I like punk, so when bands mix the styles it just means that I will probably like it more as there is nothing as bad as a band which only plays one style and never deviates.
I'm not saying that i don't listen to music that involves clean vocals.
As a matter of fact, my playlist consists of about... let's say 30% aggressive-like music, and the rest is either acoustic, punkrock or plain rock and roll. I'm not even sure what i'm doing in this metal forum :p
But the clean vocal parts i've heard so far in the genre metalcore, I don't like at all. Don't know why, really. Saying it's like Linkin Park is probably wrong, but I dislike it as much as them, though...
How about recommending some metalcore bands/songs for me?

LuminousAether said:
Metalcore? Try these bands:

W/out that much clean parts:
On Broken Wings
Every Time I Die
Bleeding Through

W/ clean parts:
Between the Buried and Me
hastetheday
Poison the Well
Thanks! I'll check 'em out! Only heard Poison the Well of those bands...

Blackwinged: Yeah, exactly :tickled:

Yeah maybe Converge isn't always aggressive but they dont bring in emo vocals and all that. But they are a lot more aggressive then some of the other metalcore out there.

When I read some of the lyrics of Bleeding Through I thought they will suck like shit like the other Orange County bands like Throwdown and Ateryu but when I downloaded "Our Enemies" I suprisingly thought it was pretty good. Pretty but not great.

MURAI said:
Yeah maybe Converge isn't always aggressive but they dont bring in emo vocals and all that. But they are a lot more aggressive then some of the other metalcore out there.

When I read some of the lyrics of Bleeding Through I thought they will suck like shit like the other Orange County bands like Throwdown and Ateryu but when I downloaded "Our Enemies" I suprisingly thought it was pretty good. Pretty but not great.
Converge is GREAT, but quite honestly, i didn't know they were metalcore...