Growling really deep..?

TBDMbro604

Bury me in sin
Jul 16, 2012
Massachusetts
like in Under the Northern Star. that kind of deep growl

if you look at turbid north, the black dahlia murder, cannibal corpse, i can do lows like those. but i want to get it really deep.

any tips?

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Hmm, don't know. I mean anyway it's a lot you can. Maybe a surgery of the vocal folds could work, if you let them lengthen and thicken or something like that.:erk: Sure, guess no good idea.

like in Under the Northern Star. that kind of deep growl

if you look at turbid north, the black dahlia murder, cannibal corpse, i can do lows like those. but i want to get it really deep.

any tips?

Johan is a false-chord screamer. Learn and master the false-chord technique, and after a couple of years of practice you'll be able to scream like a bawss. It's all in the stomach for the power and in the shape of the lips for the tone. The lower you want, the tighter you form your lips into an "O" sound. If you want to go higher, you make a shape with your mouth similar to, like, "EEEE", and then do a false-chord scream with your palate raised to make it even higher.

There's a great thread on ultimate-guitar where a bunch of people, including myself, learn and give advice to fellow self-taught vocalists or vocalists who are looking to teach themselves. You should check it out.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208630&page=1&pp=20

Is there actually a song made by kind of a death metal choir? I mean at least 5-6 vocalists growling together?

Ok, at least two vocalists.
But I try to imagine for instance Johan Hegg, Peter Wiwczarek, Angela Gossow, George Kosmas, Mikael Stanne, shinderhizzle and maybe even some more singing together Death In Fire in chorus. :lol: Actually it's hard to imagine for me so I would like to listen to something like that. Well, guess there isn't something like that.

Ok, at least two vocalists.
But I try to imagine for instance Johan Hegg, Peter Wiwczarek, Angela Gossow, George Kosmas, Mikael Stanne, shinderhizzle and maybe even some more singing together Death In Fire in chorus. :lol: Actually it's hard to imagine for me so I would like to listen to something like that. Well, guess there isn't something like that.

Well most professional vocalists nowadays layer their vocals on-top of each other, especially for choruses.

Furthermore, one really good song that I know of off the top of my head (besides Dying Fetus, of course) is "Weather the Storm" by Insomnium. That has the vocalist of Insomnium (whose name I forget but who I also think is absolutely phenomenal) combined with Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquillity, and they have a couple of words/verses/screams they do where it is the two of them combined for one really epic scream.

However, I personally feel that on that song, Mikael's vocals are mastered really strangely and he kind of sounds bad, lol, at least to me. But it's still a pretty great song.

Don't know that song, sounds interesting too, will look for it.
Well from the unprofessional side I totally forgot about the choir that often is in concerts, I mean the responsive singing audience. Always like it. It's not what I was thinking about but maybe it does get close to it.