Grrrr!!!!

AHHHHH!!!! DAMMIT, DAMMIT, SONOFABOTCH!!!!! :mad:

I WANT this plug-in, but I don't want to shell out the $129.00 for it!!!! :mad:

Hmmm.... I think I'm gonna end up getting it, though I'll need to think about it (torture myself) for a few days. If I do get it, it's gonna mean three things....

1. I'm gonna upgrade all of my other software to keep up with it's quality.

2. I'm gonna do a lot more mixing.

3. I'm gonna have to get really serious about my songwriting.

AAAGGGHHH! I hate decisions like this.... :p After all, I still need to get my Nightbass refurbished ($150.00), and I still want the Yamaha "Ty Tabor" signature guitar ($650.00), all while remodeling my house. :eek: Damn, I HATE having priorities! I wish I were still 18 yrs old and didn't give a damn! :cool:

Originally posted by Mr. Hyde
In my previous post where I say: "For instance, when there are two heavy guitars you might roll off the high end above 10k by about -3db cut the mids at 2.2k -3bd and lows at 300hz -3 and then for the other guitar cut slightly different freqs" I should have mentioned that I meant using a combination parametric/shelving Eq. That way you are only affecting a very narrow range of frequencies, so if you wanted to drop 2.2k a little you could without bringing down 1k and 3k with it. You can use the shelving Eq to roll off the highs above 10k. Sorry about that, I realized my mistake after my last post when I talked about using a 3 band shelving type Eq.

Usually I use a parametric/shelving 4 band Eq plugin so I have my choice of what freq's I want to work with.:) Plus I can use up to three of them at a time on one track If I need to create a band pass filter or something.

Can you guys explain to me the fundamental difference between parametric, graphic and paragraphic EQ? Do they all do the same thing ..in a slightly different way?

See Ec, look what you started. I haven't had a chance to check one of those out yet but you are making me want one bad!!
If I win the lottery I'll definitely own one!:)

Let me see Rabies, basically Graphic Eq's give you some ability to cut or boost a certain range of frequencies with limited control over the specific frequencies affected. For example if you want to cut or boost 1k you can just move the slider but it also affects the frequencies close to 1k and slightly below 1k (like 900Hz and 2k) but not to the extent that a shelving type Eq would. A shelving type Eq would cut or boost a wider range of frequencies depending on where it was centered. If it was centered around 1k it would probably also cut/boost 800 - 4k but it would give the most boost or cut to 1k and affect the other freq's to a lesser extent. Actually they can also affect all freq's above or below the center frequency. (Actually I think I need to get out some of my books and do some refreshing because I did just describe shelving type Eq's but the last one I mention is truly a shelving type Eq because it boost's everything or cut's everything below a certain frequency, and the first shelving type I mentioned doesn't do that exactly.)
A parametric Eq allows you to select both frequency and bandwidth. So you can choose not only which frequencies are boosted or cut but you can decide how much the surrounding frequencies are affected. You can choose to cut 1k and narrow the bandwidth to the point that it only affects the neighboring frequencies such as 1.1k and 999Hz a tiny bit . It allows you the freedom to create a hugh dip in the surrounding frequencies if you choose by changing the bandwidth.
I think I have heard the term paragraphic Eq before but I'm not fully sure what it is. I would think that, given it's name, that it's probably a graphic Eq in which you might be able to change the bandwidth to have better control over how the sliders affect neighboring frequencies.

Each one has it's advantages depending on what you want to use it for. The graphic Eq gives you access to more bands than a parametric Eq does. Usually a good Graphic Eq will give you access to 31 bands to choose from. I don't have a good Graphic Eq plugin so it's not as versatile. The graphic Eq is a really usefull tool when you have to change a lot of different frequencies.
The parametric is perfect for situations where you want to target something really specific but you are limited in how many bands of frequencies you can change. My plugin allows me to change four per effect, and I can have three of them active per track for a total of 12 bands.
The shelving type Eq's are good for making high pass, and low pass filters, or as a basic tone control.
Each type has it's area where it is the best tool for the job.
That's why there are so many types because each one has it's advantages and limitations.
:)

Thanks Hyde.

...and you too EC. I learn a ton off you guys - mostly cause I am too damn lazy to go look this stuff up myself! :lol:

Ok..newbie question. I see 'High/Low pass filter' all the time. Not sure what it means/what it does.

Hi pass filters allow frequencies above a certain specified frequency to pass while drastically cutting all frequencies below that frequency.
Low pass filters do the opposite. They allow everything below the specified frequency to pass, and greatly cut everything above.

Rabies I learn a lot from these discussions myself.:)

...and you should have seen this question coming....

In what circumstances would you want to use a high/low pass filter? It almost sounds like a gate.

You can use high and low pass filters for lowering unwanted portions of the signal to an almost inaudible level.
Say you have recorded a guitar signal that has a lot of 60 hz ac line hum. The buzz might be really loud but because that frequency isn't necessary for the guitar you can use the high pass filter to remove or take it down to a level that doesn't ruin the take by allowing it to pass everything above the unwanted noises frequency.
You can do the same with a low pass filter to remove high end hiss by allowing it to pass all frequencies below the noise you are trying to eliminate.

You might use a combination of low pass and high pass filters to take out both ends of the spectrum leaving only the middle freqs.

It's really endless the things you can use them for.

I wish I had a really good low pass and high pass filter plugin because it would save me the trouble of having to tweak eq settings to simulate them.

The most common use of high/low pass filters is in bi-amping situations. They're used so that only highs go to the horns, lows go to the subs, etc. Also, many players choose to bi-amp thier rigs when recording (I want to, but need two soundcards). They'll send thier highs and lows to different tracks so the tracks can be seperately processed and re-assembled at the desired mix. Very useful for bass with distortion. :cool:

I can bi-amp my Nightbass internally (and usually do), but until I have two soundcards installed, I have to mix the bi-amped signals back together before the signal leaves the Nightbass unit. :p

Crossovers eh Ec!! :) Yep true, also tri-amp situations.

Why can't you activate two tracks to record on select the left channel as input for one, the right for the other and then use a mixer in front of your sound card to split the signals left and right?

Wouldn't that give you your separate signals on two tracks?

Technically though, since we started off speaking of Eq's I guess the most common use for filters might be...Eq's. :D

Wait a minute...I was just thinking about electronics theory a second ago. Crossovers for bi amping etc... work on the principal of reactance where the caps and inductors react differently to the ac waveforms. The caps allow highs to pass with little effort while blocking the lows and the inductors like the lows but provide a lot of resistance/reactance to the highs.

Tone controls work by sending a certain portion of the signal to ground...hmm.

It's late and I need to go to bed!!:)

I can bi-amp my Nightbass internally (and usually do), but until I have two soundcards installed, I have to mix the bi-amped signals back together before the signal leaves the Nightbass unit. :p [/B]

Or better yet..get one of those units made for home recording..like the protools units..that enable you to record up to 8 or so individual inputs simultaneously. Friend at work has one that he swears by..I can't swing the price..nor do I ever need to record from more than 1 source at a time. He has to record drums..so it is invaluable to him...being able to capture different wavs for each mic on the kit.

Originally posted by rabies

Or better yet..get one of those units made for home recording..like the protools units..that enable you to record up to 8 or so individual inputs simultaneously. Friend at work has one that he swears by..I can't swing the price..nor do I ever need to record from more than 1 source at a time. He has to record drums..so it is invaluable to him...being able to capture different wavs for each mic on the kit.

Yea, it's the price that hurts.... :p ;)

Being a drummer, that sort of rig would be invaluable! :cool:

Originally posted by Mr. Hyde
Crossovers eh Ec!! :) Yep true, also tri-amp situations.

Why can't you activate two tracks to record on select the left channel as input for one, the right for the other and then use a mixer in front of your sound card to split the signals left and right?

Wouldn't that give you your separate signals on two tracks?

Technically though, since we started off speaking of Eq's I guess the most common use for filters might be...Eq's. :D

I can split the signal either left/right or highs/lows (or both really) before the computer using the Nightbass unit, but the problem is inputting it to the cpu and soundcard. My soundcard (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card) only accepts one input at a time, so without an external device to capture the other signal, or a second soundcard to accept the second input, there's no way (that I know of) to truly record bi-amped or in true stereo (in totally independent tracks). :(

I may someday go ahead and add a second soundcard, but really the advantages of bi-amping doesn't outweigh the costs at this point.

Ec am I being a bonehead? Are you saying that your sound card only has a mono input and not a stereo line in?

Sorry if I am. :)

My card has a stereo line in, so I can record stereo tracks. I can select the left side for input to one track and the right for input to another track. As long as the signal is kept panned hard left and right they stay seperate while I record. The programs I use also allow me to select stereo L/R in for source but then I would have to separate the tracks into two mono tracks later.

I don't usually record in stereo but I can.:)