Guilty Metal Pleasures

Dream Theater and Opeth both suck a giant cock, deal with it. Also, few days back I listened to some LaBrie song youtube clip in some other thread and it was so disgustingly bad and horrible. I wanted to fucking kill myself.

EDIT: It actually hurts when I listen to some shit like this and try to understand why do people brag about it. And I honestly try sometimes.

Quit being an obnoxious cunt.

Dream Theater and Opeth both suck a giant cock, deal with it. Also, few days back I listened to some LaBrie song youtube clip in some other thread and it was so disgustingly bad and horrible. I wanted to fucking kill myself.

EDIT: It actually hurts when I listen to some shit like this and try to understand why do people brag about it. And I honestly try sometimes.

I'm glad to see you're using facts.

Thats okay. You're entitled to your opinion and have a right to express it, which you did, and I'm entitled to my opinion and I have a right to express it, which I did.

The difference, is that your opinion (That DT is hated "Only by tools and people with a mental disability.") is wrong. :confused:

I hate to repeat myself, but it's like saying "The sky is actually green with purple polka dots. Blue? No, fuck you, get working eyes. Just my opinion bro."

EDIT: I've never listened to Opeth, as a matter of fact. Just sayin.

You're better off. Trust me.

I've only listened to little parts of songs by Opeth. I am surprised however, at the huge following they seem to have in the metal community, when almost every song I have heard was very much acoustic/clean

Don't have an opinion on them

Dream Theater is mostly cheese due to LaBrie's voice and excessive wankery from the rest of the band, but they have a handful of great songs such as "Home" and "Stream of Consciousness". As for Opeth... their last two releases have been very disappointing, but they deserve all their praise if only for Blackwater Park. It's easily one of the top metal albums of all time, and personally in my top 5, if not #1 depending on when you ask me. They certainly aren't a guilty pleasure here.

The difference, is that your opinion (That DT is hated "Only by tools and people with a mental disability.") is wrong. :confused:

I hate to repeat myself, but it's like saying "The sky is actually green with purple polka dots. Blue? No, fuck you, get working eyes. Just my opinion bro."

My opinion may be wrong but then again I wasn't being that serious. I doubt Einstien (Who, from what I've heard was sound of mind and was not a tool) would've liked Dream Theater.

On the other hand I was kinda using "opinions" as an "excuse" for liking "Dream Theater." Ill stop doing so.

Also: I hate when you repeat yourself, so the feeling is mutual. ;)

Dream Theater is mostly cheese due to LaBrie's voice and excessive wankery from the rest of the band, but they have a handful of great songs such as "Home" and "Stream of Consciousness". As for Opeth... their last two releases have been very disappointing, but they deserve all their praise if only for Blackwater Park. It's easily one of the top metal albums of all time, and personally in my top 5, if not #1 depending on when you ask me. They certainly aren't a guilty pleasure here.

I agree with your analysis of the bands, if not necessarily the great DT songs you chose- Home is awesome, admittedly, though very Tool indebted.

I totally agree about Opeth, especially about their last two albums being disappointing, the addition of keys permanently has taken their sound back to the 70s, when before it had elements of folk and prog that added to the atmosphere they created with their more extreme orchestration, and dissonant arrangements.

Misery Signals: Controller
Misery-Signals-Controller.jpg

Thought I had completely grown out of my metalcore phase over a year ago, but this. I like this album.

lighten the fuck up, maybe sometimes people like listening to metal that isn't constantly br00tal and cacophonous.

Resurrecting this thread because I've been listening to one of my guilty pleasures a lot lately, namely this:

961d0f5e48_4472775_o2.jpg

Yeah, I know, this is perhaps the original "top hat" black metal album; it's pretty much the prototype for the worst type of "symphonic" black metal. But you can't deny that this album is catchy. I remember getting this album when I was 16. By that time I was already into legitimately awesome stuff (Emperor) so at the time I found it underwhelming and kind of gay. But these days I at least find it to be very catchy and sometimes I will do one of my involuntary black metal gestures during certain parts of this album. You know, the kind of stuff that you reflexively do when you hear stuff like DMDS: arch your body backwards, lift your black metal arthritis hand to the sky and make a stupid "scary" face. Speaking of DMDS, I'm going to listen to that album in a minute over here and redeem myself in the eyes of the metal gods.
I like that album, actually.

Resurrecting this thread because I've been listening to one of my guilty pleasures a lot lately, namely this:

961d0f5e48_4472775_o2.jpg

Yeah, I know, this is perhaps the original "top hat" black metal album; it's pretty much the prototype for the worst type of "symphonic" black metal. But you can't deny that this album is catchy. I remember getting this album when I was 16. By that time I was already into legitimately awesome stuff (Emperor) so at the time I found it underwhelming and kind of gay. But these days I at least find it to be very catchy and sometimes I will do one of my involuntary black metal gestures during certain parts of this album. You know, the kind of stuff that you reflexively do when you hear stuff like DMDS: arch your body backwards, lift your black metal arthritis hand to the sky and make a stupid "scary" face. Speaking of DMDS, I'm going to listen to that album in a minute over here and redeem myself in the eyes of the metal gods.

It's a great album. But I'm actually surprised it gets as much respect as it does because when people criticize Dimmu for being "cheesy" this is easily their "cheesiest" album.

And top hats could be seen in Cradle of Filth years before Dimmu. I don't think there's nearly enough top hat in black metal these days; someone should bring them back along with capes and canes! :p

I'm surprised we haven't seen steampunk black metal yet, which would require more than just top hats. Handlebar mustaches, velvet double-breasted jackets, and weird brass prosthesis are also required. I pretty much love all Dimmu from EDT to PEM, and Stormblast.

That is definitely an album from them that I've never had the same fondness I have for the others. Stormblast, EDT, PEM, and SBD are all incredible albums. It doesn't matter if it's trve black metal or not it's just amazing music, especially PEM and SBD.