Guilty Metal Pleasures

I guess Tool is one of those bands I will appreciate when im 70 years old or something. Got some of their albums in my cd collection, but its just to tiresome to put on.

Fact of the matter is, no one should have a guilty pleasure. If you enjoy a band, there is no cause to be embarrassed about it, no matter what others think of them. Musical enjoyment is 90% subjective ground, if anyone calls you an idiot, or throws out any other insult because you like a certain band just ignore it.

Fact of the matter is, no one should have a guilty pleasure. If you enjoy a band, there is no cause to be embarrassed about it, no matter what others think of them. Musical enjoyment is 90% subjective ground, if anyone calls you an idiot, or throws out any other insult because you like a certain band just ignore it.

Or maybe a band has a political stance, image, or has done things you don't necessarily agree with, but you still enjoy their music.

I can see that as an exception, though I still think if you're looking at it from a purely musical front it shouldn't be shame worthy.

Music where one "has to be high, man" to appreciate it, is fucking stupid.

<3

Well for starters, I never said you have to be high to enjoy tool. I enjoy tool in all states of consciousness. I don't think there is any music that I can only listen to high, that would stop me from liking it in the first place.Try and hide you ignorant embracing of stereotypes, not all people smoke dope or enjoy the odd hallucinogen are fucking airhead hippies, man.....
And There's nothing stupid about being high increasing your appreciation or heightening your musical experience, I've never found it has any sort of impact my ability to enjoy artist x, when sober.

I said I did not appreciate Tool.

You then went on to say that "you have clearly not consumed mushrooms while 'consuming live Tool'", implying that either:
  1. I was missing the point, because I was not high.
  2. I was not getting the 'full Tool experience', because I was not high.
  3. If I was high, that I would suddenly appreciate Tool.
Now sir... logic would dictate here, that you saying "you have clearly not consumed mushrooms while 'consuming live Tool'" would be the equivalent of, in this case, saying "you gotta be high, man."

Basically, my point is, that anybody who tries to sway someone onto a band by telling them to try some drugs first, probably has a brother and sister for parents.

There's nothing stupid about being high increasing your appreciation or heightening your musical experience

I never said otherwise. But as I said just above, trying to sway someone onto a band they hate, by implying the experience will change while on drugs, is the pinnacle of retardation.

I said I did not appreciate Tool.

You then went on to say that "you have clearly not consumed mushrooms while 'consuming live Tool'", implying that either:
  1. I was missing the point, because I was not high.
  2. I was not getting the 'full Tool experience', because I was not high.
  3. If I was high, that I would suddenly appreciate Tool.
Now sir... logic would dictate here, that you saying "you have clearly not consumed mushrooms while 'consuming live Tool'" would be the equivalent of, in this case, saying "you gotta be high, man."

Basically, my point is, that anybody who tries to sway someone onto a band by telling them to try some drugs first, probably has a brother and sister for parents.

I never said otherwise. But as I said just above, trying to sway someone onto a band they hate, by implying the experience will change while on drugs, is the pinnacle of retardation.

The mere fact you took my initial statement as anything more than a light joke designed to imply seeing tool live whilst high is something I'd recommend, and inferred something I didn't consciously imply from it and then actually gave it some logical analysis, is the pinnacle of retardation. I'm not trying to sway anyone onto tool, I couldn't give two shits if person X likes tool. It was merely me remembering how much of an epic fucking experience tripping balls at a tool gig was. You clearly don't like tool or embrace narcotics, which is fine, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise and have not been attempting to do so in any of these posts.

I actually like to get high pretty often... if you'd actually care to read (if able, anyways), I'll repost what I said.

Also, if you didn't want what you said to be interpreted logically, maybe you shouldn't have posted it? :confused:

I actually like to get high pretty often... if you'd actually care to read (if able, anyways), I'll repost what I said.

Also, if you didn't want what you said to be interpreted logically, maybe you shouldn't have posted it? :confused:

Seriously whats with the petty insults? are you lacking confidence in your reasoning abilities to the point that you feel the need to include juvenile jibes in amongst your otherwise intelligent points, to help you get your view across?
The bottom line is that this whole conversation has been a demonstration of the limits of logic, by applying simple logic to my satirical remark, you have inferred meaning from said remark that was not implied by the author, Why? Because simple logic works well when applied to a premise or hypothesis etc not a god damn joke....
So unless you want to discuss the merits and failings of logic in another thread, i'm going to go get high as fuck and listen to laterulus now.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you didn't want me to insult your reading comprehension, maybe you should stop assuming things ("you clearly don't like tool or embrace narcotics, which is fine"), and also maybe try reading what I posted? I said I never had an inherent problem with combining drugs and music, twice, before you made that baseless assumption.

Also, if your "clearly you have not consumed mushrooms" comment was meant to be "satirical" or a "joke", you need to get better at satire/jokes, since it was pretty bad... and learn to communicate your points to others in a more concise, accurate manner.

I love Slipknot. Their new album is pretty weak, though "All Hope is Gone" is a fucking brutal song.
I don't listen to them, but the riff in Psychosocial is pretty damn catchy.

Lamb Of God
Pantera (Post-Thrash era)
Children Of Bodom
Cradle Of Filth
Dimmu Borgir
Yeah, I like all these too. I can see why CoF can be a guilty pleasure (because it's pretty 'cool' to hate them in the metal scene), but why are Dimmu Borgir a guilty pleasure? I actually have yet to meet someone who dislikes DB.

Schwärzung;9598513 said:
Yeah, I like all these too. I can see why CoF can be a guilty pleasure (because it's pretty 'cool' to hate them in the metal scene), but why are Dimmu Borgir a guilty pleasure? I actually have yet to meet someone who dislikes DB.

As far as I know, present-day Dimmu Borgir is really hated...