Guilty Pleasures etc.

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
So, I spent my Christmas break on an AC/DC bender, go figure. They are a rarity for me these days as I more or less burned out on them at some point. My first ever cassette was For Those About To Rock...which was God-like to me, followed by Back In Black, even more Godlike. Bought some of the remasters (Highway to Hell, Flick of the Switch...) and just generally revelled in it all. This was brought on by the Metal Hammer AC/DC issue recently released. Not a bad issue, especially for photos, but the writing is shyte as is usually the case with that publication. I much prefer the Kerrang Legends mags. Anyway, that's not the guilty pleasure.....

I picked an used copy Journey's Escape on a record store jaunt in Tucson. This being the most distinctly commercial corporate rock album I've ever secretly loved. I haven't had a copy for years, but it is such a nostalgic trip for me! This album, above perhaps all others, reminds me of a very specific and charged time in my previously young teenage life. Anyway, it ain't all embarrasing anyway, as songs like Stone In Love, Escape, Lay It Down, and Mother, Father hold up pretty well as faux metal poppy goodness. I can't imagine there aren't a few here who keep this as a closet album.

Almost picked some of the Bruce remasters. Accident of Birth in particular seems to have a lot of bonus stuff on it....

SO, just saying hey to you all, and hope you had a nice holiday. I'm still work-free until the 3rd, and damn strait I'm gonna take advantage. Heading to Berkeley tomorrow to spend my Amoeba gift certificate (but will probably just buy more AC/DC remasters since I kinda cleared them out of my collection at some point years ago....) Kinda in a good rut right now...

Otherwise it was a pretty non-metal Christmas (ha) for me, as I just hung with the maternal figure and generally ate too much mexican food and everything else in Tucson; Home Sweet Home. Well, a close second to the Bay Area.

Hanging out in my neck of the woods, eh Wiz? Nice and toasty warm, wasn't it?

Coincidentally, I just bought AC/DC Live at Donnington. Unfortunately it is such a cheaply made dvd, my grouchy-assed dvd drive won't play it without hiccuping. I can only watch on my tv which doesn't have that good of a sound system.

Escape is an awesome album! I really like Journey alot, the early ablums anyway. I was just listening to my best of cd the other day. Songs like Wheel in the Sky and Lovin' Touchin' and Squeezin' are classics. And I think Escape is the best album they ever released.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
And I think Escape is the best album they ever released.

Begs to differ- Infinity okay so I was a young pre teen drooling over these guys. (nothings changes 'cept the young pre teen part:tickled: )

EW- SCORE on the Ameoba gift cert!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

sixxswine said:
Neil Diamond 12 Songs is a killer record!

We've had the "OK, I admit I like Neil Diamond," conversation here before as a matter of fact. And I was one of the people who owned up to that. It's a nostalgia thing again though, as all those who are of our generation probably heard him around the house as it were. Anyway, I heard 12 songs at the family's place just this weekend, and yes, it's good. Rick Rubin again....

too many to list actually

goes from jazz to funk, soul, pop, world music etc...

I'm a very open-minded metalhead !:D

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Hanging out in my neck of the woods, eh Wiz? Nice and toasty warm, wasn't it?

Coincidentally, I just bought AC/DC Live at Donnington. Unfortunately it is such a cheaply made dvd, my grouchy-assed dvd drive won't play it without hiccuping. I can only watch on my tv which doesn't have that good of a sound system.

Escape is an awesome album! I really like Journey alot, the early ablums anyway. I was just listening to my best of cd the other day. Songs like Wheel in the Sky and Lovin' Touchin' and Squeezin' are classics. And I think Escape is the best album they ever released.

Yeah, it was nice and warm. It's pretty foggy and damp in Northern California just now, so it was a nice break. My hair turned into an afro again as soon as I got home. It looked a lot longer in Tucson for the lack of humidity. Haha. Anyway, it was precisely in your hometown today for a layover. Doesn't really count, but I was there for two hours.

kittybeast said:
Begs to differ- Infinity okay so I was a young pre teen drooling over these guys. (nothings changes 'cept the young pre teen part:tickled: )
Well, who am I to argue with a long-running, pre-teen crush on a band, Kitty? :worship:

As for the new Neil Diamond, I'd really like to hear that one, Sixxi. I still pull out the soundtrack from Jonathan Livingston Seagull from time to time. Awesome songwriting, even if it is a tad on the easy listening side of the barbed wire fence.

NP: Deadsoul Tribe - The Dead Word

ElectricWiz said:
We've had the "OK, I admit I like Neil Diamond," conversation here before as a matter of fact. And I was one of the people who owned up to that. It's a nostalgia thing again though, as all those who are of our generation probably heard him around the house as it were. Anyway, I heard 12 songs at the family's place just this weekend, and yes, it's good. Rick Rubin again....

Rick Rubin knows how to revive careers....

ElectricWiz said:
I picked an used copy Journey's Escape on a record store jaunt in Tucson. This being the most distinctly commercial corporate rock album I've ever secretly loved. I haven't had a copy for years, but it is such a nostalgic trip for me! This album, above perhaps all others, reminds me of a very specific and charged time in my previously young teenage life. Anyway, it ain't all embarrasing anyway, as songs like Stone In Love, Escape, Lay It Down, and Mother, Father hold up pretty well as faux metal poppy goodness. I can't imagine there aren't a few here who keep this as a closet album.

Heck yeah I like Escape. It's their best album, IMHO, and the Steve Perry haters can go suck it. He gave commercial life to that band and has an awesome voice. I love that album. I still have my cassette copy that's over 20 years old. Still works great so I've never replaced it.

Electronicoil said:
Heck yeah I like Escape. It's their best album, IMHO, and the Steve Perry haters can go suck it. He gave commercial life to that band and has an awesome voice. I love that album. I still have my cassette copy that's over 20 years old. Still works great so I've never replaced it.

Steve Perry is one of the best singers ever, and truth is I'm not a huge fan of all the Journey output. He has a rare talent though, very rare.

sixxswine said:
Rick Rubin knows how to revive careers....

He does, but I think by doing what a lot of us here would suggest bands do if we were producers. Seriously. If I had a name as known as Rick Rubin's and Priest called me about Angel Of Retribution I'd have given them a copy of Screaming for Vengeance, Unleashed In the East, etc., and said, "Go listen to these for a couple of weeks...." which is really what Rubin does. He reminds people of who they are, or were really. Plus he manages to produce cool new stuff too. I give him a hats off just for recognizing how great the Mars Volta were before anybody else did.

ElectricWiz said:
So, I spent my Christmas break on an AC/DC bender, go figure. They are a rarity for me these days as I more or less burned out on them at some point. My first ever cassette was For Those About To Rock...which was God-like to me, followed by Back In Black, even more Godlike. Bought some of the remasters (Highway to Hell, Flick of the Switch...) and just generally revelled in it all. This was brought on by the Metal Hammer AC/DC issue recently released. Not a bad issue, especially for photos, but the writing is shyte as is usually the case with that publication. I much prefer the Kerrang Legends mags. Anyway, that's not the guilty pleasure.....

Almost picked some of the Bruce remasters. Accident of Birth in particular seems to have a lot of bonus stuff on it....

SO, just saying hey to you all, and hope you had a nice holiday. I'm still work-free until the 3rd, and damn strait I'm gonna take advantage. Heading to Berkeley tomorrow to spend my Amoeba gift certificate (but will probably just buy more AC/DC remasters since I kinda cleared them out of my collection at some point years ago....) Kinda in a good rut right now...

Otherwise it was a pretty non-metal Christmas (ha) for me, as I just hung with the maternal figure and generally ate too much mexican food and everything else in Tucson; Home Sweet Home. Well, a close second to the Bay Area.

Ironically, last Christmas saw my AC/DC rebirth! Back In Black was probably the 6th or 7th metal record I ever bought and I was totally overwhelmed by AC/DC about 21 years ago. Of course, over time, as I discovered bigger and better bands, I shelved them.

Flash forward to 2004. I see the remastered copy of "Let There Be Rock" and decided, on a whim, to purchase it. Glad I did. The Bon Scott era completelly blows me away TODAY (whereas 20 years ago, I was more into the 1st 3 Brian Johnson records). So I bought EVERY remaster up to and including Flick of the Switch. Awesome stuff.

Bon Scott, along with Halford, was the greatest frontman ever. In any genre.

As for guilty pleasrures, I love tons of non-metallic music....Journey included. I have their greatest hits disc...literally every song is great. I also have hits discs for similar bands such as Foreignor, etc.
A good song is a good song, regardless of genre.

:headbang:

ElectricWiz said:
He does, but I think by doing what a lot of us here would suggest bands do if we were producers. Seriously. If I had a name as known as Rick Rubin's and Priest called me about Angel Of Retribution I'd have given them a copy of Screaming for Vengeance, Unleashed In the East, etc., and said, "Go listen to these for a couple of weeks...." which is really what Rubin does. He reminds people of who they are, or were really. Plus he manages to produce cool new stuff too. I give him a hats off just for recognizing how great the Mars Volta were before anybody else did.
I've never really heard Mars Volta, been close to picking up a record, but there was always something else that caught my eye.
I also love the Chili Peppers Blood Sugar record....
That broke them.

kittybeast said:

EW- SCORE on the Ameoba gift cert!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Somethin' about you baby
Really knocks me off my feet

La, do, dah, do, da
La, do, dah, do, da...:worship:

I love Journey, no guilty pleasure here. My fave era is with Gregg Rolie, they had more of a bluesy feel to a lot of their music with him in the band. Actually, 'Escape' is my least favorite Journey album, neat to 'Raised On Radio'. I was also a BIG REO Speedwagon fan growing up.

I don't have any guilty pleasures. I'll admit to liking anything I listen to. Neil Diamond...hell yeah, love his music. I listen to a lot of country/alt. country/americana music. I love the old country guys like Cash, Haggard, Jennings, Kristoferson.

TheWhisper said:
I was also a BIG REO Speedwagon fan growing up.
"You said we'd work it out, said that you had no doubt, that deep down we we're really in love. But I'm tired of holding on to a feeling I know is wrong, I do believe that I've had enough. I've had enough of the falseness of a worn out religion, enough of the jealosy and the intoleration. I make you laugh..you make me cry, I believe it's ...TIME FOR ME TO FLYYYYYYYYYYY I've got to set myself freeeee" (I absolutely luuuuuuuuuuv the song!)

:headbang: Just listening to Hi Infidelity the other day....also I enjoy the first 4 Foriegner albums....love to sing along as loud as I can.:D

kittybeast said:
"You said we'd work it out, said that you had no doubt, that deep down we we're really in love. But I'm tired of holding on to a feeling I know is wrong, I do believe that I've had enough. I've had enough of the falseness of a worn out religion, enough of the jealosy and the intoleration. I make you laugh..you make me cry, I believe it's ...TIME FOR ME TO FLYYYYYYYYYYY I've got to set myself freeeee" (I absolutely luuuuuuuuuuv the song!)

:headbang: Just listening to Hi Infidelity the other day....also I enjoy the first 4 Foriegner albums....love to sing along as loud as I can.:D

I said that For Those About To Rock...was my first cassette, and that's true, but I received it for Christmas along with another and that was Foreigner 4, which I wore out. I got them with this old, very early walkman. It wasn't a sony, but the cassette was put in the same way you inject a tape into a car tape deck. It was hilarious. It had a shoulder strap and was actually kinda big. I put those two tapes into that thing so much that all the ink on wore off so they looked like to blank white cassettes.

ElectricWiz said:
I said that For Those About To Rock...was my first cassette, .

I know the feeling,, I wore the hell out of 2 cassettes of Motley Crue's to fast for love. I have a mixed tape now (my mostly mellow mosh mix) that is starting to get thin...:yuk:

Actually, my first real rock concert was Foreigner, with Blackfoot opening, on the 'Head Games Tour'. I was in 9th grade and one of my best friends had an older sister who took us. She and her boyfriend also took us to see Van Halen on the 'Women & Children First Tour'. I still think Lou Gramm was one of the best singers I ever heard. He was in band called Black Sheep, prior to Foreigner, that put out a couple of albums on Capitol..

kittybeast said:

My personal fave REO song:

Don't Let Him Go
So you figure that you've got him all figured out
He's a sweet talkin stud
Who can melt a girl's heart with his pout
He's the kind of lover that the ladies dream about
He's got plenty of cash
He's got plenty of friends
He drives women wild
Then he drives off in a mercedes-benz
He's got a long wick with a flame at both ends
He's hot