Guilty Pleasures

ThrashTillDeath

Blind Bleeding The Blind
Dec 11, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
We all have 'em
Odd bands that most people would frown upon the thought of us liking them.
We're always stereotyped into "Loud drunk metalheads who only listen to loud metal"
But to be honest, I know more open minded "metalheads" than I do any other music fan.

I've noticed alot of us seem to dig Classical, Blues and Jazz aswell, and here I thought it was just me!

But then there's the artists that some may find downright shocking. What are yours?

Me, I actually like Avril Lavigne, believe it or not :lol:

EDIT: I know there's already a guilty pleasures thread, but this one is more for the unthinkable, not just "80's Metal" :p

Though I didn't read the whole thread...so if this is just covering what that one already did, feel free to delete. My apologies.

yea, I actually have no guilt for any of the music I like which varies within what I consider acceptable talent, creativity or just a good sound.

Foreigner is awesome!

I suppose Def Leppard would be a guilty pleasure of mine as well. I also like Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil. It's the only one I like though.

I don't really feel guilty about any of it but some I guess I might feel guilty about would be.

Shiina Ringo - Only cause she gets labeled as a JPop/JRock artist for some of her collaborations, when her solo stuff is Jazz/Rock/Classical/Enka/Noise/Experimental.

Miyavi - Same has above he gets labeled as generic JRock and has way too many fangirls, when he also does flamenco, enka, and hip hop(not the crappy mainstream kind either). I saw him live and he had himself on flamenco guitar, the standard rock band set up, a stepper, beat boxer, and a turn tablist, and at the very end he brought in a guy with a drum set of Japanese drums including a huge ass O-daiko drum. Awesome stuff.

Andrew WK - Probably only get crap from the people here, but his music is fun and I like it.

Finntroll - Another thing that mostly people here would look down on me for (and probably most non-metal heads who've never heard of folk metal) but I like them.

Tunng - Not sure if they are worth being ashamed of, but they're catchy and calm and I think their music was used on an episode of the OC. But I love their stuff it's a bit spastic and they have some interesting instrumentation too, the lineup on their second album was.
* Mike Lindsay – guitars, vocals
* Sam Genders – guitars, vocals
* Ashley Bates – Spanish guitar, bowed banjo, vocals
* Phill Winter – sampler, effects
* Becky Jacobs – vocals, melodica
* Martin Smith – beads, reeds, bells, shells, bones, stones
* Dave Lewis Lloyd – cello
* Sefa – harp
* Detta – flute
So I listen to um.

I have a bunch of other really weird music that might give me a few odd looks, but nothing I would be too ashamed of.

I would feel guilty if I enjoyed Foreigner. That band single handedly made me want to smash juke boxs back in the 70's and Im not that kind of person. Just listen to the bass and drum tracks on that stuff. Dont take it personal, I know alot of people liked them, their popularity spoke for itself. Painful to my ears, my intelligence and pride in the white race... :lol: Def Leppard was alright I bought Hysteria on vinyl and our band at that time played two songs from it at my request, early stuff was probably better. Diana Krall is awsome. The News was fun music. No shame there.

Huey Lewis and the News
Foreigner
Diana Krall

I love foreigner and I kinda enjoy Huey Lewis.

I also like Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil. It's the only one I like though.
This is my friend's absolute favorite album, so I've grown accustom to it. I see a lot of talent and creativity in the guitarists, and the vocals are pretty unique.

I like a lot of 80's pop, mainly because thats what my parents listened to while I grew up. Just to name a few:
Bon Jovi
Journey
The Police
Duran Duran
Pat Benatar
Heart
Toto
Phil Collins

Don't have any because I couldn't care less about what other people think of my music choices.

Guilty Pleasures is a stolen thread title I came up with.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/non-metal/347517-guilty-pleasures-80s-songs.html

Not that I really care or anything. Just figured I'd point that out.:p
Read my edit :p

It was completely unintentional, I made the thread, then I was browsing on here and I saw that, so I came back and edited my post to explain that :lol:

Also, to all those who say "I have nothing to feel guilty about"
You misunderstood, I'm saying what do you like that other people would probably find "odd" and "unmetal"

It shouldn't matter what we listen to, but surely there are those who will be shocked when they find out we like such artists.

Not so much here, everyone that comes here has various tastes which has come up in other threads. Most of my CD/tape/vinyl music is progressive based, from fusion, old progressive rock bands, some progressive metal, some blues, and some instramental guitar stuff. But I can put on the radio and enjoy myself so long as I can change stations quick if need be. I have two Nora Jones CD's....... and I love 'em, a way out jazzy Harry Connick Jr. on piano CD, Brian Setzer big band swing type CD and an early years Frank Sanatra best of I like quite a bit too.

Read my edit :p

It was completely unintentional, I made the thread, then I was browsing on here and I saw that, so I came back and edited my post to explain that :lol:

Also, to all those who say "I have nothing to feel guilty about"
You misunderstood, I'm saying what do you like that other people would probably find "odd" and "unmetal"

It shouldn't matter what we listen to, but surely there are those who will be shocked when they find out we like such artists.

If anything "unmetal" is included too, than thats probably 2/3 of my music since metal isn't the only thing I listen to.

forgot about John Mayer, I bought that last CD of his, not sure where it is, I suspect in my wifes car. The one with waiting for the world to change and his cover of Bold as Love. He's talented