Guitar amp simulation with Curve EQ

A.D.I.

New Metal Member
Dec 22, 2008
Chambéry, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum, and I first wanted to thank you for all interesting things I read on it.

I've got a question : I read on the impulse sticky thread, that I can use curve EQ impression to replace preamp.

I tried to use it, but I don't understand how I can do that.

Today, my chain is like that :
Guitar --> API512C --> MOTU Ultralite --> TSS --> Revalver MKIII preamp 6505 --> Boogex

This sounds good but I think I can improve it with some curveEQ impressions, and with some TS9 impulses instead of TSS.

What I want to do is :
Guitar --> API512C --> MOTU Ultralite --> Boogex with TS9 impulses --> CurveEQ with 5150 impression --> Distortion plugin (or before CurveEQ ?) --> Boogex

Could you tell me if I'm right and maybe help me, please ?
Have you the name of some distortion plug ins of quality ?

Thank you all.

A.D.I.

You need to use a preamp emulator before CurveEQ. Either hardware (FX Loop Send from your amp, or a separate preamp rack module), or software like Wagner Sharp, Dirthead, or programs like Amplitube, Revalver, and such with cab emulation disabled.

That is, if you intend to use Boogex as just an impulse loader.

Also try reversing the order: Preamp -> CurveEQ -> Impulse
I've personally gotten a better sound that way, although "correctly" you should use the order: Preamp -> Impulse -> CurveEQ

Thank you for your quick answer.

So, you think I can do the following chain :

Guitar --> API512C --> MOTU Ultralite --> Boogex with TS9 impulses --> Revalver MKIII with 6505 preamp --> Curve EQ 5150 --> Boogex with cab impulse.

That's the way I tried it few days ago. But I was thinking it has 2 preamp in serial. Or I didn't understand how curve EQ works & what is its real functions.

I found the sound very boomy and EQ too abusive.

I think I not use it like it should be used.

If you have some tips to help me to use CurveEQ correctly, you welcome.

Don't record your guitar into the 512c, you need to use a DI box (only!) or a DI input if your interface has that.

CurveEQ is basically just a very sharp/accurate equalizer that matches the to-be-processed signal to a pre-captured EQ response.

Just for clarity, here's the full signal path:

Guitar -> DI box -> Interface -> Preamp emulator -> CurveEQ -> Impulse
or
Guitar -> DI box -> Interface -> Preamp emulator -> Impulse -> CurveEQ

If your interface has a DI input, just combine the two steps into one.

Oh and be sure to also stop the CurveEQ matching, because when you first start to use it, it can seem that it's already working when the lines start to move around. That is actually only the measurement part :) You must let it run for a while (10 - 30 seconds, while you play various things like palm mutes, long chords, fast shredding, high strings, low strings, and so on to get an accurate comparison). Once the line doesn't move around much anymore, then you stop the measurement, and that's when CurveEQ actually does the EQ response matching. You'll hear the sound change quite a bit.

go with the API, it does cost 900 for a reason. and once again: impulses do NOT capture the sound of distortion pedals. Use TSS or Guitar Suite Tubescreamer plugins instead. Both are free.

GUITAR > DI/API > MOTU > TS9 > GTR PREAMP > CURVE EQ > CAB SIM

Hi and thank for your answer ahjteam,

In fact, I know that impulses don't capture distortion, that's why I was asking for good distortion plug-ins to replace distortion of revalver. What I don't understand is that we use 2 EQs in the chain (1st : Preamp, 2nd : CurveEQ). The 2nd the same as the 1st but with for example a 5150 curve. I was thinking that it could explain my boomy sound. But seeing your answers, I think I don't understand yet how it works.

So I think I will test the following chain :
Guitar --> API --> MOTU --> Boogex with TS9 impulses --> Preamp 6505 Revalver MKIII --> CurveEQ with 5150 impression --> Boogex with cab impulse

Thank you

Other points of view are welcome...

Boogex with TS9 impulses

like I already said: that one is useless. replace it with either this or this

edit: and two EQ:s because because the curve eq is meant for the "I want this to sound like this", for example if you would use wagner and you wanted it to sound like 5150, but if you want it to sound like 5150, you can basically skip it because the revalver with the 6505 settings is the same thing. 6505 = 5150. Its an official peavey product I mean. So the chain:

GTR > DI > MOTU > TSS > REVALVER (remember to disable the cabsim) > CABSIM

OK, thank you ahjteam

Now, I understand.
In fact, the chain I use today is OK :
Guitar --> API512C --> MOTU Ultralite --> TSS --> Revalver MKIII preamp 6505 --> Boogex because it's what you tell me at the end of your message.

There won't be any improvement to modify it with the 2nd solution.

So , thank you, it answers all my questions.