Guitar double tracking - same tone or no?

cheers,

that depends on what you want to achieve,

if it should sound like one guitar with a wall of sound it works good to have on both sides the same guitar and settings,

but otherwise it also works fine if you have on both sides different amps with different guitars, or the same amp with different guitars (for example, one with active and one with passive pickups)

best
exoslime

Better to use the same guitar for all rhythm tracks because of intonation, though...and usually, I like to vary the tones a little (mostly a bit more treble/presence on the left), but not much else, though now that I have an amp (Dual Rec) with two awesome and pretty different sounding channels, I like the combo of Red on the left and orange on the right

+1 on using the same guitar on all rhythms because of intonation

and I really like using the same amp on a different channel (like with a recto red on 1 side and orange on the other side) or 1 with TS and 1 without so you have some different gain structure on both sides, that's what makes them add up to eachother IMO

I prefer different tones on each side. It makes the mix nice and wide. Different, complimentary amps if possible. Like a DR + 5150 or Marshall, but changing amp settings/channels or pickups will work too. Same guitar, though.

Personnatly i prefer use same amp with various power setting for a L and R tracks.

Ex:
Mesa Dual recto-red channel bolt on left
Mesa Dual recto-red channel spongy on right
or play with pressence setting but it's same process for all amps i use

Btw I combine amp when I track.

Ex:

Laboga Hector-diode rectification-100W on left
Laboga Hector-diode rectification-50Won right
...etc

hey enditol, gotta say im impressed with divinity`s music!

sounds like you guys are using different amps on each side.

I think it depends on the music. in divinity`s case, i think you guys hit the nail on the head.

but for other types of projects I would quad track guitars and use 2 settings, one more heavily saturated, and the other a bit cleaner, with more of a high end sound. i would pan the heavily sat. sound 100 % l and r and the cleaner tone about 75% l and r

hey enditol, gotta say im impressed with divinity`s music!

sounds like you guys are using different amps on each side.

I think it depends on the music. in divinity`s case, i think you guys hit the nail on the head.

but for other types of projects I would quad track guitars and use 2 settings, one more heavily saturated, and the other a bit cleaner, with more of a high end sound. i would pan the heavily sat. sound 100 % l and r and the cleaner tone about 75% l and r

Thanks, yeah they where two different amps. I think this time I will try it with same tones and different, just wanted to see what others where doing.

I think a different tone on each side for rhythm guitars makes a mix sound lop sided even if the volume levels are matched.

Yeah, that's why I don't try to change 'em too drastically, but there have been so many albums with awesome tones that seem to be even on each side, but when it does that left/right alternating thing with guitars, I can hear that they're often pretty different.

Yeah, that's why I don't try to change 'em too drastically, but there have been so many albums with awesome tones that seem to be even on each side, but when it does that left/right alternating thing with guitars, I can hear that they're often pretty different.

That's true.

I've noticed a similar phenomena when tracking/mixing bands with two different guitar players playing rhythm. All the guitars get reamped in one session with one mic placement (double tracked) but you can still hear a difference. I think any slight difference under that circumstance must be in the hands.

It depends on the number of guitar tracks, but for me, this is what I like:

2 Tracks: Amp1< >Amp2

3 Tracks: Amp1<Amp2>Amp1

4 Tracks: Amp1.Amp2< >Amp2.Amp1

Using a different amp when doing only two tracks does make it unsymmetrical but I just prefer the perceived depth of sound that is gained to the loss of symmetry. When only using two tracks I usually pan 85<>85 so there is still some of each amp on both sides.

Personnatly i prefer use same amp with various power setting for a L and R tracks.

Ex:
or play with pressence setting but it's same process for all amps i use

Btw I combine amp when I track.

Yep - here too.

But it depends on the band, the music, the guitarists.. I did records with completely different guitarists, guitars, amps on each side and I did records with one dude recorded everything... same guitar, same amp, same settings.

What I do even if I use different amps: I try to keep the cabs / mic-setup .. So both sides are still having something in common even if the amps are very sounding very different.

But 4 out of 5 records are done in a way like I quoted above.

I like the combo of Red on the left and orange on the right

Once upon a time, I had a 3 channel Dual Rec. I had always "heard" that the orange and the red channels were the EXACT same, minus the value of the Presence pot on the Orange channel. I had this confirmed by an amp tech at the Mesa/Boogie store in Hollywood. I had always preferred the orange channel, so I purchased the Presence pot to basically give me two orange channels so I could set them up slightly different. I installed the pot and immediately did a tone test. I set them up exactly the same, damn, they sound so close, but different, still! I ended up digging up the schematics for the amp, and the channels are SO SO close, but the RED channel did have one "extra" couple of caps/resistors that barely changed the sound. I must say, the channels even more complimented themselves than they did before....

Don't know of this helps. :kickass:

always the same guitar/amp/settings for the main L and R guitars. I can't think of many recent albums not done that way. Switching up guitar or pickup or amp for leads can help them stick out.

Once upon a time, I had a 3 channel Dual Rec. I had always "heard" that the orange and the red channels were the EXACT same, minus the value of the Presence pot on the Orange channel. I had this confirmed by an amp tech at the Mesa/Boogie store in Hollywood. I had always preferred the orange channel, so I purchased the Presence pot to basically give me two orange channels so I could set them up slightly different. I installed the pot and immediately did a tone test. I set them up exactly the same, damn, they sound so close, but different, still! I ended up digging up the schematics for the amp, and the channels are SO SO close, but the RED channel did have one "extra" couple of caps/resistors that barely changed the sound. I must say, the channels even more complimented themselves than they did before....

Don't know of this helps. :kickass:

You know, I can't say I'm surprised that despite the incredible closeness, there would still be a slight difference even after the presence pot switch - thanks for confirming, and which channel do you find yourself preferring now that you've done the swap?

I dunno man, i doubt it... I think that's just your ears, the speakers, the room / phones, and the difference in playing. I know that even in my studio i can pan a mono guitar track around and it sounds different on each side even though it's the exact same.