YOUR way of double tracking guitars

For my own stuff as i only have one decent sounding guitar, one amp head and one cab and one mic :

Two takes, same player (me), same guitar, same picks, same amp, different amp EQ settings (one more middy and one more scooped), same cabinet, same mic (& mic position), hard panned.

Up to now it has been working for me.

When i'll get another axe w. different pup's i'll switch guitars for every second take.

Had one back in the day.... metal grille & all. Sold it.

Ignore advice at your own risk.

Well, I'm not really ignoring advice. We use the Mesa Oversized V30 cab quite a lot for tracking guitars, including leads. I do, however, like a lot of the lead tracks I've done with the Peavey cab. I'm not saying it's better either... just different.

Mine actually has a cloth grill. I'm thinking it was designed for the Butcher or the Revolution series heads.

Dont underestimate studio shirts...

I played my first couple of takes in my Spongebob shirt and the studio computer kept fucking up. Next day in my Ride The Lightning shirt, no problem :)

Same player, definitly!
I change the head and settings, sometimes even the cab, maybe the guitar, too ... but the player stays :D

To add something of non-comedic value, well i'm assuming it's not funny, but you never know...

95% of time it's 2 x same everything. Hard panned.

Then, depending on the instrumental content of the material (if it has heavy keys/ solos harmonies etc, or not), I may do another two, with a different guitar, same amp, and pan 85-90 L/R and cut/ boost a bit. Depends on the situation and how well tracking is sounding.

Nothing wrong with having more tracks though IMO. Muting is easy. :) DI-ing a dry track is a must also.

I dont quad track too much. If you have a quality, well set-up instrument, a good day on the axe, and a TOIT sound, 1 track each side is usually enough for me.

Although some of the sounds you guys get quad tracking is frikkin amazing. :headbang:

Is it possible to get "that" effect by DI-ing dry track and reamping it to, say, 2 different settings of same amp and hard pan those 2 tracks? If guitar player isn´t tight enough... or it will be phasing or mono-sounding as hell? Anybody tried this? (i´m dreaming about VST plugin which can modify the amplitude of signal a little bit, so you can do only one track :)

Is it possible to get "that" effect by DI-ing dry track and reamping it to, say, 2 different settings of same amp and hard pan those 2 tracks? If guitar player isn´t tight enough... or it will be phasing or mono-sounding as hell? Anybody tried this? (i´m dreaming about VST plugin which can modify the amplitude of signal a little bit, so you can do only one track :)

I wrote this cool as hell answer... It was so long and in depth that when, somehow, my browser spazzed out and ate my sage typage with 's's' (yes 's's'), I almost broke something.

Anyway.

Short of it is. Copy/ pasting, or re-amping the same track to use on seperate panned channels will sum to mono.

Regardless of how good the player is, and how 'tight' they play, it's the difference in the timing of the performances that actually gives the illusion of width in a mix. I'm not saying that bad timing = good width, gawd fowbid, but it's the imperceptible differences the brain registers subconciously that give the effect.

Sounded better the first time I wrote it...

yeah best way i've heard it described is like a choir of singers- its the differences that make it savage sounding!

i've not done enough recording to have a set way of doing it yet but for my own bands stuff we've been doing it.

2X 1 player with different amp/same axe panned one side-100%
2X other player with same amps as other player( dirthead/wagner) same axe.

Although we did also use some real amps, and a gt-8 for some of the tracks- we didn't really set what each was we just kept trying new things as we tracked.