Guitar players

I was wondering whether I`m going to replace the stock pickups on My 7-string guitar.. What 7-string pickups do you recommend?
I've heard the EMG 707 is nice.. nad also SD Invader 7...

Originally posted by DescendedSouls
Speaking of gear, does anyone know what gear Borknagar use?

Check out the thread titled "Question for all the borknagar members..."

Well, i've been playing bass for about 4-5 years and guitar for about two years.

I own an Ibanez RG570 with a DiMarzio Steve's Special in the bridge and S270. The RG fuckin rules, it is the nicest feeling guitar i have ever played, if only it was neck-thru! The S270 sucks though, korean made and the neck is starting to get the banana effect. I use a digitech RP200 multi-effects (very good!) and a 60 watt laney combo

btw, the guitarist in my band plays a seven-string and he says that the Invader is supposed to be really shit. "Muddy as fuck" as he said.

as for ibanez, i personally think they are one of the leading guitar companies now simply because of their value. The have low end guitars which are much better than other low end guitars and still very cheap and their middle range and top end guitars are very good quality and look awesome and are much cheaper compared to other brands.

Ibanez Prestige RG2027x (7-stringer)
Ibanez RG550LTD
Ibanez acoustic, can't remember the number...
Washburn bass, can't remember the number either...
Line 6 POD 2.0 multiefect-pros
Roland GP-16 multiefect-pros
Behringer Ultragain Pro pre-amp
AKG c3000 - mic
+ other little stuff I have and a ton of different music programs and plug-ins...
I don't have any amp, because I just record and never do any gigs etc...

Todswalzer: which 7-string is this? an acquaintance of mine has the EMG 707 in his Ibanez RG7420, but the tech had to widen the cavity of his guitar to accomodate these humbuckers.

bleed for me: that neck warping (banana effect) of your S270 neck can be cured. access the truss rod & make the necessary rotations, otherwise, present the proble to an experienced tech for tweaking. :cool:

for the SD Invader to work nicely in any guitar, it all boils down to EQ. this humbucker is bass inclined, make sure all other source of EQ do not over-pronounce any more bass inputs (pedal/ amp). the SD Custom is an overall good pickup. if you prefer more bass thump, then the Distortion model will grind & chug well. personally, i'll avoid active pickups because they don't manifest the true tone of a guitar. however, Myrskog's Destructor has EMGs in his Warlock & it sounds very good. :wave:

'91 Gibson Explorer (reddish color)
'82 Washburn Amputee
late 80s TexMex Strat
Marshall JCM800 w/ MacKenzie 4x12 Cab
1961 Panaramic 45 watt tube amp, 2x12 alnico magnet spkrs

Toys: Ibanez TS-9/808 mod, Nobels ODR-1, Boss CE-2, Vodoo Lab MicroVibe & Tremolo, Vox wah w/ var. mods, Arion EQ, Chorus, Flanger pedals

Guitars:
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Kramer Nightswan
Kramer mutt guitar (Maple Pacer body, Focus neck (soon to be replaced with Carvin neck) Duncan pickups
Dean 7-string guitar that I never seem to use
Conn classical

Amps--Peavey Ultra Plus, Peavey Bandit

Effects--Morley Volume/Wah, MXR Phase 90, ancient Axtron chorus, Danelectro Dan-Echo, Ibanez Digital Delay, Boss Digital delay. Danelectro Cool Cat chorus.
Line 6 POD
Really ancient Apollo Fuzz-Wah
Dunlop Sharp 1.5mm picks
Dean Markley 10-52 strings

I own 2 Ibanez 7 strings a Universe and a custom RG 7 string and a Jackson 6 string Stealth. With a Marshall 4 x 10 cabinet and Valvestate head. Wish I had a Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

I play

- Jackson Professional (don´t know more, i bought it very cheap, second hand, but it sounded great...)
- Fender Stratocaster (the "Sambora" Model with DiMarzio-Pickups, FloydRose)
- a very old, ugly Framus which sounds different every day
- my mothers old yamaha classic guitar

Marshall TSL 60 Watt Amp
Marshall 1960 4x12" cab

I´d like to have an ESP, but it´s so damn expensive...

Originally posted by bloodswords
hey travis, i see that you have the Ultra Plus, how do you find this head?

I like it pretty well. That said, I don't have a whole lot of use (or space) for a 120-watt half-stack at the moment, so I'm looking at selling it.

I have a POD.
It works pretty well for direct recording, depending on the tone that you need. If you are putting distorted POD tracks in a fairly intense mix, they often lack the cut needed to peek through, and the high end needs to be boosted. For demoing, though, they are priceless---they're terribly easy to use and sound good enough.

Ive been playing for about 6 years now..

Guitars:
BCRich Warlock- tuned to E or D usually
Schecter Scorpion-Tuned to B

Amp:
Line6Ax212

Other shit:
Boss BR-8 studio dealy
Roland XP-80 Keyboard