Guitar Players

Sorry, not literally all of the gear Opeth uses, should have narrowed it down. Mainly any guitar players trying to collect the guitar setup, PRS, GT-6 boss pedal board and a Laney amp. Not that much...

ive owned a handful of PRS guitars in the past, although i dont own one currently, as i have specific musical needs at the moment, and a PRS wouldnt cut the mustard. they are indeed worth every penny, anyone who says otherwise is probably just broke and/or jealous.

Is there a point to the question at all?

I can't say I'm fond of their live rig. The tones sounded quite artificial the 2 nights they played here, in particular Mike's solo tone, which seems more effects-based to achieve character.

The PRS guitars are fantastic, but I can't say I'd go the GT-8 route, or the Laney route either actually.

Find your own sound!!!!!!!

And I agree with Moonlapse about their live rig... the four times I've seen them they've always sounded pretty damn bad.

PRS are very nice though, but don't spend a couple thousand on one just so you can try to sound like Mikael.

That would be stupid to just be trying to collect the gear Opeth uses, but I do use and love the GT-6 (actually bought it before I was aware that Opeth uses it) and I definitely, definitely want to get a PRS eventually because they are so badass.

Scourge of Malice said:
Find your own sound!!!!!!!

And I agree with Moonlapse about their live rig... the four times I've seen them they've always sounded pretty damn bad.

PRS are very nice though, but don't spend a couple thousand on one just so you can try to sound like Mikael.
The bottom line with any instrument purchase....don't buy something because you want to sound like someone who is good. You can have a 1959 Les Paul and the same exact setup Jimmy Page used in Zeppelin and not even touch his sound. How he used his fingers on the frets, his picking methods....all of that is individual and cannot be replicated. If you want to play and get some generic sound like anyone in some no talent band can get...blink 182...sum 41....nickelback...whatever. it's easy to get because there's nothing to it.

find a guitar you like and play it how you want to play it. you can get amazing sound out of a cheap fender if you have the talent. (not to say fenders suck...teles rock. strats arent bad either) the point is that it's not only the guitar and it's not only "textbook knowledge" of how to play. no effects or guitars or amps in the world can change that.

A point about those multi-effects pedals - as Moonlapse has said, you can get quite "artificial" sounds out of them, and I suspect that Opeth use them live because of the convenience of having a one-piece stomp box with everything they need for their performance. It doesn't mean that they'd touch that kind of kit with a barge-pole in the studio, where time can be taken for setting up different bits of the track and they can take ages tweaking their sound.

You probably aren't going to go far wrong buying a PRS Custom 24 though, but beware - I think Opeth pull out the PRS pickups and use Seymour Duncans.

I just won a 1993 PRS Ce24 on eBay and I'm almost crapping myself with excitement.

(Sorry I mentioned that, I know I'm being a tosser)

Whether you use the stock pups in a Custom 24 or put full shreds in it or whatever... they sound fantastic regardless. The HFS and Vintage Bass pickups are great. It's amazing because as soon as you plug one in and do a lead, you can just see hear Mike and Latimer. It just has that cliche sound... that Santana sustain, the orgasmic overtones. As far as production-line guitars are concerned, they are fantastic and well above most.

Moonlapse said:
Whether you use the stock pups in a Custom 24 or put full shreds in it or whatever... they sound fantastic regardless. The HFS and Vintage Bass pickups are great. It's amazing because as soon as you plug one in and do a lead, you can just see hear Mike and Latimer. It just has that cliche sound... that Santana sustain, the orgasmic overtones. As far as production-line guitars are concerned, they are fantastic and well above most.
I've never owned one, but I drooled and fiddled in shops. They play and sound great - the coil tap is very impressive IMO - although I kind of agree with the opinionated Ed Roman that the neck heel is a bit massive. It would be nice to have more accessible upper frets to go with the great sound.

Moonlapse said:
I agree. That's a problem that plagues most guitars that I've played.
Fair comment, it's not as if PRS Customs monopolise the intrusive neck heel market. If memory serves, the neck heel kicks in around the 13th fret on a Les Paul and is pretty massive for example. It's just weird that they made the neck heel a lot bigger than they used to on the PRSs.

affinityband said:
Dont ever buy a gt8 lol.
For guitars, id probably go for either a PRS, a mayones orr a fender jaguar. I think prs is just a bit too perfect for me really. Theres no edge.
whats wrong with ur gt8 now? but spending 1000s to get the same set as opeth is bad, just get wat feels and sounds good for you