What song are you learning

synergy

tr00bie
Sep 2, 2003
Long Island
Visit site
I was just wondering what songs all the guitar players are currently trying to learn, be it Opeth or any other band. I'm currently working on the "Iron Man" guitar solo...not really that hard, but it's taking a while to get all the bends down

i'm working on memorizing a crapload of In Flames songs right now...

Swim, Clayman, Embody the Invisible, Artifacts of the Black Rain, Jotun, The Hive....Goliaths disarm their Davids.

I've done the opeth thing...I can play Leper Affinity, Master's Apprentices, Demon of The Fall, Drapery, Deliverance, Funeral Portrait, April Ethereal, Forest of October.

while i'm not actively learning anything at the moment, since most of my playing is compositional, i've been taking a look at Redemption, Fates Warning, and DC Talk recently. yeah, odd combo.

I'm just finishing up some learning on 'December Flower'. Just finalizing fluidity with the solo, but apart from that the song is more or less down. Not sure what to aim for next... maybe to actually write some more material of my own, haha.

The Drapery Falls, In My Time of Need, (hate that stretch!) Serenity Painted Death (some of it down, some not)

Still working on Bach's Cello suite no.1... over the last month or so ive been transcribing it and have parts 1 and 2 of 6 down. Very fun, and beneficial.
Next Id like to cover some Emperor, probably 'With Strength I Burn'. Id love to play some stuff of Prometheus, but without a 7 string it just isnt the same.

drowssap said:
In My Time of Need, (hate that stretch!)

What stretch are you talking about? Do you mean Hope Leaves? Cuz that is a long damn stretch.

Right now I'm working on Peter's solo in "Deliverance"...this is what I have so far:

The Drapery Falls
Deliverance
Windowpane (with solos)
A Fair Judgement (with Peter's solo)
In My Time of Need
Ending Credits
Hope Leaves
Patterns in the Ivy
Demon of The Fall

I've only been playing for 6 months (but I've played bass for years), and I love learning Opeth! :headbang:

my recording system seems fried as well.

i'm doing it line-in from my GT-6 to the soundcard. i lowered the soundcard's IN volume, i lowered the GT's output volume and set the GT output to every possible setting. i lowered the gain on the recording app, and all of that nets me a very quiet signal, which i can fix with normalizing. the problem is, when i do that, it somehow STILL clips even though at every possible gain node the settings are freakin low. i don't know what i'm doing wrong. it worked fine before, and i checked all the cables and stuff...

Master's Apprentices
Sweet Home Alabama
Sea of Lies by Symphony X

I think Symphony X is a really good band to help build up skill and speed. Romeo tends to write stuff where your fingers are often on the go constantly. Sea of Lies and Smoke and Mirrors are two songs i've been using to try and improve in certain areas.

I'm not learning anything right now, but I think that when I do decide to learn something new it'll be Pink Floyd's The Wall in it's entirety (I don't know how to spell, shoot me)

^you spelled "entirety" right, but "it's" should be "its" :p

i dunno i'm kinda weird; i don't really sit down and learn songs front to back very often. i guess i'm lazy. i just work on my own stuff generally speaking...as soon as i can find a way to record i'll try and get some up :hotjump:

The last song I learned is In Flames' Lunar Strain, but it's not that hard.

The Opeth songs I know:

Forest Of October
Advent
The Night And The Silent Water
Nectar
To Bid You Farewell
Prologue
April Ethereal
The Amen Corner (except for the solos)
Demon Of The Fall
Credence
Epilogue
Godhead's Lament
Benighted
White Cluster (without the solos)
The Leper Affinity
The Drapery Falls
Patterns In The Ivy
Patterns In The Ivy II
Deliverance
For Absent Friends
Master's Apprentices
In My Time Of Need
Death Whispered A Lullaby
Closure
To Rid The Disease
Ending Credits

Whew, turned out to be quite a list. These are the songs that I know (almost) entirely. The other ones I only know parts of, or I forgot them. :)

im just beginning with the guitar, i try to learn "Breaking the law" (judas priest), "Hey Joe" (Jimi) and few songs of ACDC (The Jack, Highway to hell, Hell aint..., ...).

Are Opeth songs difficult to learn ?