Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Other (E.g. Keyboards, Piano)

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters

dishcloth

Boozehound & metalhead...
Oct 14, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Most people on this forum seem to predominantly be guitarists. Just interested in what instruments people play and why? Was metal (or Opeth in particular) a major influence to make you learn? Why/why not?

Me? I'm a vocalist (growling, heavy rock style voice) and at the moment I'm keen on learning a bit of guitar, though I suck real bad.

Vocalist, and obviously metal was a huge influence on me. I've always been a vocalist because I am not a musician! And I've always prefered good lyrics to good music and always will.
Metal music is great, but I don't really want to be a part of a metal band. I'd rather do what my band does now, rather than copy Opeth or something. I couldn't live without metal, its what inspires me but its certainly not at all what I want my own music to be like. Opeth and other bands I like do it so well, so I'd rather do my own thing.
I was also tempted to play bass and guitar just for the sake of learning, and but I'd never do it in a band!!

Oh I'm the combo guy and even though I was pretty good at guitar (although who's to tell...) before falling in love with Opeth, playing their songs taught me a lot about singing and playing at the same time... even more than playing them metallicar' oldies :D and Mike inspired me a hell lot as a vocalist, as I have a similar voice range to his, and as guitarist too - especially his old-rock-leads... Goddamn! As somebody said it before, if I were a woman, I'd give birth to his children! :D

I am a guitarist mainly, but I try to sing too. I'm not that good at singing but at least I love to do it. I occasionally pick up a bass or drum at a friend's place. Also, I have a keyboard but I don't play it that much.

I am playing lead guitars and doing vocals with my band right now.So i guess im a combo guy.Our Band is a death metal band, many metal and deathmetal musicians influenced me but I couldnt say that Opeth is the biggest influence or so.Sure it has a part though.

Guitar. Yes, Opeth was a huge influence in my playing. Even now that I'm distancing myself from them to avoid sounding like a carbon-copy as so many people do these days, I still have very strong elements of Mike's lead style in my playing.

Reason I started was because I felt bad that we had an acoustic in the house and nobody could play it. I don't know what compelled me to play for 6 hours a day for the first few years. Could've been my retreat from all that teenage angst and depression that's so rife at 14.

You'll find most people on most forums are predominantly guitarists. It's the most accessible and versatile instrument it seems. Very easy to pick up and play (suck at).

I am the drummer in my band and drums are what i do best so i'm technically a drummer - but i do play guitar and write all my songs on guitar. You can't write songs on drums because i find the drums tend to have to fit around the melody. But if i were asked by someone what i play i'd always say drums first.

As seriously as I'd like to be - Warsaw is Poland and I'm located at the French border, so...that's not what I'd call close. If I were not studying, nothing would keep me here though...what band do you play in?

A bass-less band for sure :D You wouldn't believe how hard we try to find one... There was even the possibility of me changing my instrument (like I wrote before I sing and play guitar) just to have the bass... The band was just brought to life like a month ago (although all band members are quite skillful musicians - we're no beginners! ;) ) and it's something less heavy then Opeth (although I do use my growls at times), it's rather more prog rock oriented... There is this one guy who lately claimed he can help us out with the bass but I'm not too sure of his abilities...

Im liek one of those Jack of all trades kindda guy....hahaha.....but im not good at any of'em....ahahaha.......PEAC EOUT

Whoop! Didn't notice this thread! Normally with my band I play only guitar and do vocals, but when I record stuff on my pc by myself I play bass, guitar, drums, keyboards, and vocals! The key here is to actually be good at all the instruments too, and if you have a basic idea of music theory, it usually takes much less time to become adept at them!

EDIT: yes, I can play all these instruments with somewhat above average skill.

www.myspace.com/joshearlesband (finally, everyone knows my real name!) I only got 1 song on there but its pretty good. My instrument cables are crap, so expect some crackling. The song does not include vocals, bass, or keyboards yet, so it's just a raw copy. The drums are also programmed, cause I don't have the right equipment just yet. Sadly, the solos aren't done by me, I'm not THAT good. That was my brother, Jason Sebek. Look him up on the net. Seriously, he is incredible!

i play drums,guitar and bass.

my main "occupation" is playing drums(and teaching too).that's the first instrument i start to play and study seriously.

I played guitar for seven years, but never improved all that much. I have a decent clean voice. I've been playing drums for the past year & am getting better by the day. I've recently added a double pedal & a few more cymbals. I think the drums are my true calling.

My ultimate style of music would be a fusion of Opeth, NIN, Pink Floyd & Sarah Brightman, if that's possible....