guitar question

Oct 13, 2003
NL - Gelderland
ok im trying to learn the song Unearth - a glorious nightmare on my guitar

but im kinda stuck at the sweep part
naamloos.jpg

does anyone have some good tips or sweep excercises?

Try tabs from guitar pro they help a lot more for me than the usual ones and some of them are wrong

If you're having a tough time with the 5-strings arps you better make sure that you're using the right technique. Have you practiced a lot on 2-strings and 3-strings arpeggios?

There should be hundreds of youtube-videos of guitarists who explains how to sweep. Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbx03mP5eg
Once you understand the principle of sweeping, try to play a Cmajor shape like this one:

Code:
         v
e-----12-15p12--|
B--13-^---------|
   ^

Downstroke on the root (C) and major third (E) , then an upstroke on the fifth (G), pull off back to the major third and repeat.

When you feel like you've got it (could take between 2 minutes and a few weeks depending on your skills), move forward to 3-strings arpeggios like:

Code:
             v
e|--------12-17p12-v-------|
B|-----13-^---------13-v---|
G|--14-^---------------14--|
    ^

Take your time to master the thin strings. It'll save you A LOT of time dude.

Be sure to use a metronome. If you're not quit sure how to use it, then check this out: http://www.metronomeonline.com/articles/general/how-to-use-a-metronome.php If you don't have anyone, buy one now: http://www.amazon.com/KORG-MA-30-Digital-Metronome/dp/B0002E2O2Q

Record yourself every day and check your progress at the end of the week. Don't stop practice.

Thnx!!

just one more thing i play guitar for seven years now...about 2hours a day...
but i dont have anyone to teach me its all selfstudy
does anyone of you think it would make difference too take lessons?

Thnx!!

It's probably worth it. A real teacher is trained to hear and see your flaws. He may come with suggestions and advices you've never thought of before. Not only should a teacher be helping you out with your technique, phrasing, pitch, rythm, guitarknowledge (difference between mahogany or lets say alder, how to intonate the guitar etc) but also be a source of inspiration. He may introduce you to stuff you never really listen to like jazz, soul, folk music etc.

My advice (although I'm selflearned aswell and havn't take any lessons) is to pay a little more extra dollars to get a good teacher. Ask musicians you know who they would suggest.

Do you have any recent vids or mp3s uploaded? Always cool to check out other people's music :Smokin:

yeah, its already been said but teachers are definately worth the money if they're good. i had a teacher for a long time but i stopped due to not being able to make the time to go + money but they really helped my technique and soloing/writing.

Do you have any recent vids or mp3s uploaded? Always cool to check out other people's music :Smokin:

well first of all thnx for the advice i will be looking for a teacher in the near future, first get a job and make some money :p

i dont have any stuff posted of me yet, im working on something with my band i make sure i'll put it online when we record it

Thnx!!

yes. Go with a good teacher! I took lessons from Steve smyth via internet and those were great. Go with Steve Smyth, Chris Broderick, or Dave Weiner (plays with Vai and has online lessons too). Can't go wront with either of them from my understanding after talking to people who took lessons from Chris and Dave, and my great personal experience with Steve