guitar question

irakayden

Mar 16, 2011
i can never seem to get too awesome a sound out of any amp sim alone. do you replace the cab in your software with an impulse?

i can never seem to get too awesome a sound out of any amp sim alone. do you replace the cab in your software with an impulse?

As far as we know (I could be wrong here) - no, it's Line6 all the way. If you're having trouble dialing in a good tone, I say use any of the LePou stuff, or onqel's new X50 plugin and use some of the more popular impulses mentioned on this forum (Lolzgreg, s-preshigh, the new God's Cab ones that just came out).

where would i be able to find those? i just downloaded guitarhacks. haven't had had chance to use those IRs yet. and there's a guy here on ultimate metal that custom makes you a bunch of impulses. he has a huge equipment list and such. i was looking into that

you will normally struggle to get an really good tone from just a stand alone amp sim. Alot of the tone will come from post-production

I a lot of it is tweaking and at least for me breaking down to a science what the knobs do on the amp heads and any stomp boxes I may have in front or the EFX of the Amp sim I'm running as well as having understanding of how your post and/or bus affects the overall tone of your guitar tracks and why.

The other part is knowing how the other instruments, say bass and/or drums, are going to affect the overall sound of your guitar tracks

its a science... and the why is just as important as the how.

plus its an amp "sim" if you want it to be easy use the real thing...

you will normally struggle to get an really good tone from just a stand alone amp sim. Alot of the tone will come from post-production

Im sorry but I would have to disagree.
I would say a lot of the tone will come from the source.
Shit going in is going to have shit coming out and no amount of post will clean or fix that up. Make sure the performance is good and your tone will start to emerge.

IMHO the only post should be a LP, HP, and possibly a notch to pull some hiss out.
maybe some c4 for some taming but I dont think I have used C4 on guitars for over half a year.

IMHO the only post should be a LP, HP, and possibly a notch to pull some hiss out.
maybe some c4 for some taming

This. BUT in all honesty, no guitar amp's EQ section will be anywhere near as versatile as what you will need (It's essentially like having a 3 band EQ and that's it...). I agree though, get it sounding good at the source, and then use post-processing for refining and polishing the tone off. "Fix it in the mix" is possibly the worst mindset and engineer can have.

...And...

plus its an amp "sim" if you want it to be easy use the real thing...

Dude, you're kidding, right? Amp sims are sooooooo much freaking easier than using a real amp (I still much prefer a real amp anyway)

definitely get it right at the source.

and again HP & LP is all you generally need and maybe 1-3 cuts between.

but you guys seem to be looking at it the wrong way:
the EQ afterwards isn't to fix your tone.
it's to make the tone fit into the mix better.
your tone chain should be player>guitar>amp>cab>mic.

This. BUT in all honesty, no guitar amp's EQ section will be anywhere near as versatile as what you will need (It's essentially like having a 3 band EQ and that's it...). I agree though, get it sounding good at the source, and then use post-processing for refining and polishing the tone off. "Fix it in the mix" is possibly the worst mindset and engineer can have.

...And...

Dude, you're kidding, right? Amp sims are sooooooo much freaking easier than using a real amp (I still much prefer a real amp anyway)

There's nothing easier putting a 421 and a 57 on one my cabs buddy... post is a joke after my 6505+ or my bad cat black cat...

this is why i wish i had been a guitarist instead of a drummer. im terrible at looking for guitar tones

There's nothing easier putting a 421 and a 57 on one my cabs buddy... post is a joke after my 6505+ or my bad cat black cat...

I just spent 3 hours with a band trying different cabs and mics and slaving different amps (playing with the phase between two cabs and mics) ext.... I could have pulled up pod farm and took 3 minutes and been done. Real amps are a lot more work then pod farm in my experience and this is coming from someone who used pod farm for years.

I just feel real amps sound better and have more character though. So for me its worth the little bit of extra work.

I just spent 3 hours with a band trying different cabs and mics and slaving different amps (playing with the phase between two cabs and mics) ext.... I could have pulled up pod farm and took 3 minutes and been done. Real amps are a lot more work then pod farm in my experience and this is coming from someone who used pod farm for years.

I just feel real amps sound better and have more character though. So for me its worth the little bit of extra work.

That cobra sounded dope and I just threw a mic up in front of it hahahahaha.

Kyle clip it to me! and did you pick up Josh's vht as well?

And Josh, you're a God of pod tones, right up there with Joey. (although I know you hate your tones :p)

That cobra sounded dope and I just threw a mic up in front of it hahahahaha.

Kyle i think you could make any amp sound sick with your playing. :worship:

I can't wait to try that thing out though.

Kyle clip it to me! and did you pick up Josh's vht as well?

And Josh, you're a God of pod tones, right up there with Joey. (although I know you hate your tones )

Yea, Kyle is about to be the proud new owner of this Vht Pitbull. Also thank you for the nice comment. Your pod tones I feel are better than mine and you make them work a lot better in mixes. We're all our own worst critic.

Maybe its because I'm a guitar gear guru... maybe its the class I took at the musicians institute on guitar effects or maybe its the fact that Ive been playing guitar for 14 years (im only 24 btw) I think its a lot easier to get the tones I want with the real amps...

But I think its easier to get a (easy) mixable tone using amp sims...

@Josh... tough break on dialing in the tone for 3 hours and not being happy... I dont think its ever taken me over an hour to get a tone I was happy with for anything and with any amp... go figure...

I think its important to understand that an awesome guitar tone consists of your guitar tracks + bass + depending whats going on in the song kick drum...

one guitar track by itself isnt going to sound like a joey record or a sneap record... thats the point of getting the tone you want and tweaking it to fit the mix...

@Josh... tough break on dialing in the tone for 3 hours and not being happy... I dont think its ever taken me over an hour to get a tone I was happy with for anything and with any amp... go figure...

We got a super sick tone out of that time. Just between 7 different amps and 5 different cabs and different mic combinations, it took a very long time to dial the tone i was looking for.