Guitar t0nez

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
I finally have a real amp (jet city 20 combo amp). Yesterday I was messing around with it and couldn't come up with any tone that I liked. Then it hit me, I have no fucking clue what im doing when it comes to real amps and guitar tones. No idea what to listen for, look for, do, etc.

Also I haven't messed with an actual amp in easily a few years, its always just been amp sims. So if any of the dudes that can get some killer tones can chime in here and help me out (amongst others im sure) it'd be greatly appreciated. Basic shit, what to listen for when tweaking, why this is used instead of that etc.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
-Mike

But my amp doesnt even go to 11 :cry:

On a serious note lol i've tried the whole setting everything to 12 and tweaking from there,that was actually my first way of approaching it and im still not content with any of the shit im coming out with.

I don't get killer tones but hey, I chime in anyways;)

The only thing I can offer you is that you have to put ALOT time into micing amps.
There is just no other way.

Get an amp you like(dunno the jet city but I would buy a standard metal amp, like 6505 or Recto and a really good cab, these 2 things have to be top quality) and a 57.
For me it was soo helpful to listen to Lasses clips and dial in tones while listening back to his clips quite often for AB'ing.

Imo Guru has a jet city too?! Maybe he's so nice and gives you some Rose of Sharyn for AB'ing. Just to see what the amp is capable of.
Maybe you just don't like the amp character?

I've bought well proven stuff to make shure that the only thing that sucks in the chain is me.

(seems that I'm still drunk from yesterday, took me hours to type in, hopefull you get what I mean;))

I don't get killer tones but hey, I chime in anyways;)

The only thing I can offer you is that you have to put ALOT time into micing amps.
There is just no other way.

Get an amp you like(dunno the jet city but I would buy a standard metal amp, like 6505 or Recto and a really good cab, these 2 things have to be top quality) and a 57.
For me it was soo helpful to listen to Lasses clips and dial in tones while listening back to his clips quite often for AB'ing.

Imo Guru has a jet city too?! Maybe he's so nice and gives you some Rose of Sharyn for AB'ing. Just to see what the amp is capable of.
Maybe you just don't like the amp character?

I've bought well proven stuff to make shure that the only thing that sucks in the chain is me.

(seems that I'm still drunk from yesterday, took me hours to type in, hopefull you get what I mean;))

I remember guru saying he got rid of his a while back. Didnt even think of searching for the rose di's though I think I heard them so many times that I tried to block it out of my memory.

As far as mics I already have a 57 and access to a few others that im gonna pick up tomorrow to keep testing with.

Overall great idea on just ab'ing the other di's floating around here. That never even crossed my mind. thanks dude.

My thing though is like how the hell do you dial in a tone and be like- ok this is good. I gotta do some more reading and see what these guys are trying to listen for and shit when dialing in the tones.

Yeah, you need a TS in front of it. I have a feeling I've already said all this, but one thing you can try is to use a software TS in conjunction with a hardware one when reamping. I've had some nice results that way with my JCA20 head.

Also, you have to factor in the sound of the cab. A 1x12 just can't sound like a 4x12. I have the Jet City 1x12 cab and a HB 4x12 cab with V30's and it's quite a difference. For reference, I reamped these Rose of Sharyn DI's straight from the Profire into a home-built TS808, into JKCA20H, into the 1x12 Jet City cab miced with a 57:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809705/JCA20RoseOfSharyn2.mp3

You can definitely hear the boxiness of the tiny cab. On the other hand, here's the same setup but with a 4x12 cab with V30's:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809705/JCA20H HBG412V.mp3

I can't say for certain if the settings were identical, though. The amp is pretty much a one-trick pony, so it shouldn't matter that much :)

If you want more references, here's some stuff I've done with the JCA20H:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809705/Showreel/Face The Fact - Prussian showreel.mp3 - Rhythm guitars are PODFarm's Tubescreamer -> Hardware TS808 -> JCA20H -> HB4x12 -> 57. Dual tracked.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809705/JCA20H HBG412V Reared DOUBLE TS.mp3 - Ola's song and DI's. Same setup as above.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809705/EnterJetCity.mp3 - This one was just for shits and giggles to try out my new Explorer. Triple tracked, only hardware TS IIRC.

Jarkko- HUGEEE thanks for all that info, and yeah u actually said pretty much the same stuff in the last thread I wrote about the amp in general, As I said earlier I dont own a physical ts so for the time being im just using the podfarm ts.Im taking it maybe I should try running 2 of them? I'm gonna start a/b'ing with your stuff today actually. Thanks again dude

Ola- I worry about you sometimes buddy lol

if you can, try to adjust the mic position with headphones on so you can hear where the hell it sounds recorded. Kinda like on Matt Damons awesome video here:

also this video is good:

[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3176975091479283638[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
The other day i tried a Vst TS and it was NOTHING like the real thing.. it just added noise and fizz.

How are you USING the tube screamer in the chain?

Do you understand HOW to use the tube screamer with JC20H. I found I had almost CRANK the level control to get it into metal territory. Kept the gain and tone and 12:00.

The point is to PUSH and OVERDRIVE the preamp tubes and NOT use the gain in the tube screamer

How are you USING the tube screamer in the chain?

Do you understand HOW to use the tube screamer with JC20H. I found I had almost CRANK the level control to get it into metal territory. Kept the gain and tone and 12:00.

The point is to PUSH and OVERDRIVE the preamp tubes and NOT use the gain in the tube screamer

For the clip I posted above, these were the settings

pod farm ts > jca20 (combo) > 57 > 002

TS settings were
Drive 57%
Gain 61%
Tone 42%

JCA Settings were

Gain 5
Bass 3
Mid 2/3
Treble 6
Master 2
Presence 3/4

Im apparently a complete idiot when it comes to real amps so point out whatever mistakes I made. No offense taken.