Guitar Tone

So, my Gt-8 just came in the mail today, and I'm wondering if you happen to have any configurations/amp configurations that I could use to get a nice Damnation tone?

Thanks Arnab, you really contributed to this thread.

Anyway, I just want to know how to got the gainy, yet incredibly clean Damnation tone from Windowpane mostly.

I own an ENGL Savage 120, and i can get a pretty chunky, gainy but still verry clean distortion. Ofcourse. I dont think Opeth ever used ENGL and an ENGL sounds like an ENGL, but i think it sounds pretty good ;) getting my own sound.

Thanks Arnab, you really contributed to this thread.

Anyway, I just want to know how to got the gainy, yet incredibly clean Damnation tone from Windowpane mostly.

VC30, likely. They may have used some pedals to boost the amp and make it a bit smoother when gained.

@ the guy above: They used an ENGL Powerball on Still Life. Ghost Reveries sounds very Powerball to me, but the guys claim it was Mesa... so whatever.

VC30, likely. They may have used some pedals to boost the amp and make it a bit smoother when gained.

@ the guy above: They used an ENGL Powerball on Still Life. Ghost Reveries sounds very Powerball to me, but the guys claim it was Mesa... so whatever.

Ahh ok :) Thanks for the correction!

Keep in mind that all of their clean tone comes from the amp. When I go to my studio I will take a look at what settings I have on the gt8.

Thanks, I know they come from the amp, but I'm sure there's some way to make the gt-8 help. I don't have a great amp, so yeah. I don't have gain on my amp, I have Volume, Tube Cruch, Bass, Treb and mid. Tube crunch is somewhat like gain, but when it's turned to 0 the amp makes no sound, haha. Do you know how I should set the knobs on my amp? And if possible some gt-8 help.

Also, if you give me those gt-8 settings can I possibly get something for the Blackwater Park and Deliverance (the albums, not the songs) heavy tones?

Thanks, I know they come from the amp, but I'm sure there's some way to make the gt-8 help. I don't have a great amp, so yeah. I don't have gain on my amp, I have Volume, Tube Cruch, Bass, Treb and mid. Tube crunch is somewhat like gain, but when it's turned to 0 the amp makes no sound, haha. Do you know how I should set the knobs on my amp? And if possible some gt-8 help.

Also, if you give me those gt-8 settings can I possibly get something for the Blackwater Park and Deliverance (the albums, not the songs) heavy tones?

I have a patch if you want it
http://bossgtcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5943&highlight=opeth

there are some other patches that people post on there. I am looking for a better one all the time.:)

The download link on that site is all messed up. Also, how do I add patches to the Gt-8? And, how should I turn my knobs when I do want to use it.

Lastly, I know Damnation is from the amp, but, what should I set my EQ to and all that stuff?

i have a spider 3 and the 'mikael' setting doesen't sound much like opeth,maybe it's cos i don't have humbuckers, the sound is too bluesy

The download link on that site is all messed up. Also, how do I add patches to the Gt-8? And, how should I turn my knobs when I do want to use it.

Lastly, I know Damnation is from the amp, but, what should I set my EQ to and all that stuff?

from that site (this works)

First, the GT8 depends on a MIDI implementation. That's pretty much the ONLY way to interface with the GT8 from your PC.

NOTE: Some users prefer writing the patches out. However, because there are so many stinkin' parameters on the GT8 and myriad ways to set it up - it can be very time consuming to write the settings out by hand (or type them) - not to mention dialing everything in by hand. It can be done, but it is much easier if you can simply upload/download the patches and play on.

Well, I see many folks saying they don't have MIDI on their PCs and wondering what they should do to get "MIDI enabled".

There are a couple of options:

1) Gameport to MIDI cable interface. If your PC has a sound card with a gameport then you can pick up a cable for about $20 at the local computer store. These work fine for most MIDI purposes but can be a little slow. Some sound cards or motherboards may not support the MIDI conversion very well and give you problems. On my last motherboard, I couldn't get the gameport to MIDI cable to work very well. Note: I replaced the mobo (because it died) and used one of these cables without any problems. However I now use a UNO with better results (see below).

2) USB to MIDI cable interface. If your PC doesn't have a gameport (some actually don't nowadays) but does have USB 1.1 or 2.0 - then you need a USB to MIDI cable (i.e. M-Audio UNO). These are about $40-50 at your local computer store. This is the preferred way to go because there are usually very few (if any) issues with USB and the MIDI conversion interface. If you can afford it - go with this route.

It would've been nice to see a USB interface implemented on the GT8, but we didn't get one - oh well.

WHEN HOOKING UP THE MIDI IN/OUT jacks to your GT8:
Make sure that the cable's MIDI IN goes to the GT8 MIDI OUT. Likewise, make sure the cable's MIDI OUT goes to the GT8 MIDI IN. If you don't connect these properly - it won't work.

NOTE: My M-Audio Uno (MIDI-to-USB) adapter actually uses MIDI IN to MIDI IN and MIDI OUT to MIDI OUT.

So now that you've hooked things up, how do you actually upload/download patches??? At this point I will only recommend one option (others may follow later)...

MRSLEEPY'S GT8EDITOR
This is a great little app that is a work-in-progress. It keeps getting better and better!

It will allow you to upload the current patch from your GT8 to the PC so you can tweak it and/or save it to your PC (I think he is adding a Librarian feature set in the near future).

It will allow you to download a saved patch to your GT8 as well - be sure to set the target patch area BEFORE you download it. Once downloaded - double check the patch number on the GT8 (to make sure it went where you thought it would) - and then hit the WRITE button twice to commit the patch to the GT8 memory.

With the above information and tips you should be able to upload, download, manipulate and share custom GT8 patches with everyone else.

Hope this helps!

as far as EQ goes you just have to do it by ear and some of the EQ's are pre set in the patch.

After reading this thread I was intrigued enough to try and dial in my own Opeth tone.

I am playing a Aria Pro II ZZ Standard with DiMarzio Evo humbuckers into a Line 6 Flextone 3. The tone I was aiming for was 'Deliverance Intro Metal Tone'

I started as was suggested earlier with the 'Insane' setting and immediately had a good starting point. However the PRS will make the harsh tone of amp modelling like Line 6 and Boss GT-8 sound rounder and warmer due to the woods used. That's how Opeth get away with using it live, in my opinion.

A key thing here is actually removing some of the drive to get the staccato stabs; if you have to much gain, everything just melts into a big mush. I also further rounded the sound, and realised that on the record the tone is actually quite nasal which means there is a fair amount of mid left in there.

These were the final settings:

Line 6 Insane on 'red' - Brit J-800 cab on 'green'

Drive - 6
Bass - 7.5
Mid - 6.5
Treble - 5
Presence - 5.5
Volume - 5.5
Reverb - 2.5

Master - 2.5

Let me know if this helps/hinders/anyone has a better version than this.

:headbang: