Guitarists who made the biggest impact

We're not talking about great players....we're talking about innovators...Clapton will be the first to admit he invented nothing...only recorded all the great blues players in his mind and added his own touch.

I'd rather hear a responce to some other parts of my posts about things that have been said about players we put on the top not being totally origional. Or the idea that the later time got on, it was impossible to be the next Hendrix, but yet, givin the rest of the pack, there are those that still stand out, like Petrucci, and being able to stand out in a denser crowd... I view as possibly a harder accomplishment.

But even the topic title says biggest impact. The heaviness of Claptons work with Cream and The Yardbirds had a big impact, so did Pages and Becks. Not the bomb that was Hendrix but Hendrix was taken to England because he was getting no attention in NY and would fit in better with the current music scene that was going down over there. In his time Hendrix was actually shuned by many Blues and Jazz players and still gets no love in certain (blind) circles. I doubt many people are more of a life long Hendrix fan than myself and he is #1 in my book, but I dont feel that makes other players myself or others mentioned trite. Hendrix was very humble about his playing and value as well. Spoke highly of Clapton and also was quoted as saying he didnt compare well with Terry Cath, which even being a fan of Caths work, I know simply isnt true.

Somehow that has got to make sence.

Amazing the impact the name Petrucci seems to have on any guitar player discussion... :lol:

Of course I wouldn't say he was as influential as VH and Hendrix etc. but I think he was one of the first guitarists to truly bridge the gap between the 70's prog guitarists and the 80's shred guitarists, and for that I think he does deserve a mention in this sort of thread.