GuitarWorld : The Greatest 100 Guitar Albums

Grimes

Torment Christian Souls
Oct 31, 2005
I usually discard any polls like these from guitar magazines and VH1, because they are a bunch of shit most of the time. However, this time they have asked the 'reader's to do the poll this time.

"The White Stripes' Elephant over Hendrix's Electric Ladyland? Bodom's Hate Crew Deathroll over Dairy of a Madma.? Green Day's American Idiot over Led Zeppelin II? Don't blame us - you picked 'em!" -GuitarWorld

So the top five greatest guitar albums were ofcourse...
Led Zeppelin IV; Led Zeppelin
Appetite for Destruction; Guns N Roses
Are You Experienced; Jimi Hedrix
Master of Puppets; Metallica
Dark Side of the Moon; Pink Flyod

I was surprised to actually see Children of Bodom in the poll. Children of Bodom haven't really got shit for media coverage in US, especially magazines and t.v. Well they made it onto GuitarWorld's poll at number 44! Heres the review.

Hate Crew Deathroll; Children of Bodom, 2003.
"Employing the same murderous, single-minded intensity as the "Reaper" figure on their CD artwork, Finnish metal madmen Children of Bodom slashed their way to stateside recognition with their fourth album, Hate Crew Deathroll. Alexi Laiho's blindingly fast lead runs established him as a guitar hero for the new millennium, but the abundance of catchy hooks, cartoonish lyrics and almost comically cheesy keybaords on tracks like "Sixpounder," "Bodom Beach Terror" and "Triple Corpse Hammerblow" flashed a blood-encrusted middle finger to anyone who dared to pigeonhole Bodom as one-dimensional speedsters."
Eh, atleast they made it onto the poll I guess... Nevermind; Nirvana at #8, Toxicity; System of a Down at #33, The Joshua Tree; U2 at #34, and Follow the Leader; Korn at #42. With all these shit ass bands having better GUITAR ALBUMS than Children of Bodom, I still think these polls are a bunch of shit.

"I still think these polls are a bunch of shit"

I've known that ever since they started them and kept listing Nirvana. :erk:

And since when are the keyboards in Sixpounder cheesy?

I thought they sounded pretty dry on Follow the Reaper. Like that bit on Children of Decadnce where it's just Alexi playing that B on his own.

HCDR appeared to have more bass.

i guess,but the keyboards were playing choards in the backround in a lot of the album so it made up for it
and you're talking about 00:28 right?

<-Warheart-> said:
I thought they sounded pretty dry on Follow the Reaper. Like that bit on Children of Decadnce where it's just Alexi playing that B on his own.

HCDR appeared to have more bass.

Agreed. The bass and drumms got mixed in more with the latest 2 albums.

KillerGon said:

automatically turned that poll into crap

that is a gr1m album.. but certainly it doesn't belong on a top 5 guitar selection... can you please tell me why the top five has no mention of steve vai, paul gilbert, satch, John P, Malmsteen, etc...?

their review of hatecrew deathroll was bullshit also cause i (and most of my friends who listen to bodom) have been listening to bodom since hatebreeder...

Guitar World said:
Children of Bodom slashed their way to stateside recognition with their fourth album,

I dunno, I prefer the mixing of the first three albums myself. Reminds me of the old black metal production, and it adds a certain authenticity to it. The first three conjured images of icy forests and epic landscapes, but the two most recent sounded more rock-ish and "urban", or something like that.

Conti said:
i guess,but the keyboards were playing choards in the backround in a lot of the album so it made up for it
and you're talking about 00:28 right?

Yeah 00:28. I'm not saying the guitar tone was bad, I absolutely love it. But I tihnk it's drier than it is on Hate Crew Deathroll.

isee,but then again,who gives a fuck about sound,I didnt like HCDR that much,though songs like ADK and TCHB are epic

Conti said:
isee,but then again,who gives a fuck about sound,I didnt like HCDR that much,though songs like ADK and TCHB are epic

I actually think sound is very important. I appreciate a good guitar tone, and drum sound. Good clear production is a plus in my books. I know some people think bad production adds to something or other but I prefer to hear everything more.

<-Warheart-> said:
I actually think sound is very important. I appreciate a good guitar tone, and drum sound. Good clear production is a plus in my books. I know some people think bad production adds to something or other but I prefer to hear everything more.

I know what you mean. I bought Emperor's "In The Nightside Eclipse" and the production was horrible. I still loved it because of the frigid keyboard melodies, but I would've enjoyed it loads more if the production had been better.

Grimes said:
So the top five greatest guitar albums were ofcourse...
Led Zeppelin IV; Led Zeppelin
Are You Experienced; Jimi Hedrix
Master of Puppets; Metallica
Dark Side of the Moon; Pink Flyod

LOL! I though that one said Are You Dead Yet at first, i was about to smash my computer screen!

i really think the way the bass was mixed on HCDR had the bass drum and the bass guitar mixed. you dont get the steady "umph" you get when a hard bass drum should be hitting, especially all the double bass. But on FTR the bass drum is more defined, but with less bass guitar. and on AYDY...well i cant find a better sounding cd with double bass on it. this is all on my biased view of being a drummer and wanting to hear the bass drum as loud as i can and a damn sweet car audio system =]