Guthrie Govan

hes got great phrasing & voicing, pretty much all guitar playing is derivative today but to say "not that great" is ludicrous

not being a hardcore metal or die person I find the grooves he plays in to be a pleasant relief

Guthrie Govan is like a cold glass of lemon-aid on a hot summer day, refreshing. I think some people don't even realize what or who the "ideal guitar player" is. To me, it is Guthrie.

hes got great phrasing & voicing, pretty much all guitar playing is derivative today but to say "not that great" is ludicrous

not being a hardcore metal or die person I find the grooves he plays in to be a pleasant relief

ok, just to clarify, I said not THAT great, emphasising the THAT which I did capitalize in the original post, because I was referring to him not being as great (imho of course) as what everyone was referring to him as, ie. best, most creative, most original etc. Not saying he isn't, but from what ive seen / heard of him SO FAR he hasn't quite blown me away as I was expecting him to, given the amount of hype and excitement shown by many other guitarists.

ok?

hype is a crappy degrading word, hype is what the press, advertisers and governments do, appreaciative listerners and comrades just state their honest feelings

fault can be found in all things if one looks hard enough

As far as I'm concerned, Guthrie is at the top of the food chain. The guy can convincingly play pretty much any style ridiculously well but still manages to have an extremely identifiable, unique sound. In terms of chops/technique, the guy is as flawless as it gets. He's got a ridiculously good tone, a great sense of time, an ability to phrase that is rarely heard in guitar players, great intonation, and an ear that anybody would kill for. To top it all off, he's got a good sense of humor and is genuinely having a good time when you're hearing him play. The guy has so much feel about it him it's ridiculous and still manages to show that while out-shredding the best of 'em.

My only complaint about him is that I feel at times that Erotic Cakes is a bit overproduced....then again I had been listening to bootlegs and live recording of all those songs for a year or so before hearing the album. Ideally, I'd like to see Guthrie record something along the lines of Andy Timmons' Resolution (not in terms of style/genre, but in terms of the overall feel and approach to the making of the album)

ok, just to clarify, I said not THAT great, emphasising the THAT which I did capitalize in the original post, because I was referring to him not being as great (imho of course) as what everyone was referring to him as, ie. best, most creative, most original etc. Not saying he isn't, but from what ive seen / heard of him SO FAR he hasn't quite blown me away as I was expecting him to, given the amount of hype and excitement shown by many other guitarists.

ok?

NO! YOU MUST WORSHIP HIM! PRAY TO HIM, MORE, MOAR!!!

:lol: Just Kidding, everyone has a personal preference (jeez, how many times has a guitarist heard that one in his life) and is turned on to different things. All opinion based.

As far as I'm concerned, Guthrie is at the top of the food chain. The guy can convincingly play pretty much any style ridiculously well but still manages to have an extremely identifiable, unique sound. In terms of chops/technique, the guy is as flawless as it gets. He's got a ridiculously good tone, a great sense of time, an ability to phrase that is rarely heard in guitar players, great intonation, and an ear that anybody would kill for. To top it all off, he's got a good sense of humor and is genuinely having a good time when you're hearing him play. The guy has so much feel about it him it's ridiculous and still manages to show that while out-shredding the best of 'em.

My only complaint about him is that I feel at times that Erotic Cakes is a bit overproduced....then again I had been listening to bootlegs and live recording of all those songs for a year or so before hearing the album. Ideally, I'd like to see Guthrie record something along the lines of Andy Timmons' Resolution (not in terms of style/genre, but in terms of the overall feel and approach to the making of the album)

Meedles...the 2 albums you mention are probably my all time favorite instrumental guitar albums. I understand what you mean...Resolution has a very "live" feel to it...but the production of Erotic Cakes doesn't bother me in the least...I drool over it.:worship:

OK. I got "Erotic Cakes" and it`s refreshing guitar album. Guthrie is good guitar player but I don`t think he is all that original or "the ultimate guitar player" like some people like to think. To me he sounds like Brett Garsed, TJ Helmerich or who ever of these younger generation of fusion guys. They`re all good players but nothing too original. Guthrie`s still a good player though with lots of potential to become better.
I have a lab with TJ tomorrow. Didn't know people knew his stuff around here. He's kickass.

^ Yeah he's a great player, heard him with Brett Garsed and a bit with Planet X for a while, though Garsed suits Planet X much better imo, Garsed would definately be my next choice of PX after Tony MacAlpine...

oh sorry, wrong forum... :lol:

I've been listening and I'm in agreement with others on Govans value as a musician and guitarist. Top shelf ! His composition skills, feel, variety of styles and tecniques, totally astounding. The dudes got flow, not just a bunch of baffeling bullshit. Places him far above those that isolate to one primary style.

I got Dan's back on this one. Great player, great technique, but there's others I'd rather listen to. Not to mention the majority of Erotic Cakes seems very Vai derivitive(sp!) Don't make me pull out the tampon machine on this thread too! :heh:

I dont know I can hear influences or similiarities to most of my favorite guitar players from the 70's thru today.

*tampon machines empty, twas in heavy use a few days back, also needs a good moping up in the vicinity.... so you and Prog might want to look into that before you drip all over this topic............... =}:)

I got Dan's back on this one. Great player, great technique, but there's others I'd rather listen to. Not to mention the majority of Erotic Cakes seems very Vai derivitive(sp!) Don't make me pull out the tampon machine on this thread too! :heh:

We've been through this before I believe.....honestly I just don't hear it. There might be one song where the tone and phrasing are similar do some stuff Vai has done...but even that's a stretch to my ears. Otherwise, there are really no parallels to be drawn. As soon as you listen outside of the CD, even that one is lost.

We've been through this before I believe.....honestly I just don't hear it. There might be one song where the tone and phrasing are similar do some stuff Vai has done...but even that's a stretch to my ears. Otherwise, there are really no parallels to be drawn. As soon as you listen outside of the CD, even that one is lost.

I'm with you Meedles. When it gets right down to it, everyone sounds like someone else at times. I don't see the Vai parallel, but everyone's ears are different. People say all my kids look alike and look just like me...I don't see it at all.

There's only so many notes and so many techniques to grab 'em...sooner or later you have to cross paths. I don't see how that diminishes the quality or talent of the player. We build on what we hear...that's the way it is.