Guthrie Govan

I'm with you Meedles. When it gets right down to it, everyone sounds like someone else at times. I don't see the Vai parallel, but everyone's ears are different. People say all my kids look alike and look just like me...I don't see it at all.

There's only so many notes and so many techniques to grab 'em...sooner or later you have to cross paths. I don't see how that diminishes the quality or talent of the player. We build on what we hear...that's the way it is.

::: sigh :::

Nobody's saying he sucks, just a couple opposing viewpoints that while good, he's not the greatest thing since sliced bread :)
/me lo-5's PMP, as to not create a scene...:Spin:

Neither of us were responding as though someone said he sucks...he just really doesn't sound like Vai.

BTW, he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Guthrie>sandwiches

Neither of us were responding as though someone said he sucks...he just really doesn't sound like Vai.

BTW, he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Guthrie>sandwiches

"...Diminishes the quality or talent of the player"

That sounds, at the very least, of "starting to suck" :)
Beyoootch! :heh:

Are you going to make me cite a passage or passages that sound like Vai??

"...Diminishes the quality or talent of the player"

That sounds, at the very least, of "starting to suck" :)
Beyoootch! :heh:

Why don't you play them for us.

I don't get the "starting to suck" thing...that was wasted on me.

You shouldn't get your oversized panties in a bunch...Meedles and I had calm, cool and undefensive responses simply stating our opinions, not contradicting yours. No one claimed anyone said he sucked. I just like him and don't hear Vai myself...that's all.

Actually, he's the best thing since luncheon meats.:worship:lol:

I got Dan's back on this one. Great player, great technique, but there's others I'd rather listen to. Not to mention the majority of Erotic Cakes seems very Vai derivitive(sp!) Don't make me pull out the tampon machine on this thread too! :heh:

He's not your thing...no big deal. Who would you rather listen to?

I think Vai is a great player and has a lot of brilliant moments, but I don't particularly enjoy an entire album of him. Tender Surrender, Blue Powder and Christmas Time Is Here...brilliant! But there's also a lot that I don't enjoy so much.

Like the time he played an open E and ZOMGZ SO DID STEEV VEYE?!!!???!!!

But seriously don't waste your time grasping for straws, I've probably listened to a lot more Guthrie than you have so you're not going to be able to point out something I haven't already heard.

does anyone know anything of his musical training or ed ? if he was professionally learned it would have taken ages to cover the ground he seems proficient at. Like I said I can hear all kinds of influences in his stuff but not alot I can pinpoint to a rip off. I can hear stuff I could say that reminds me of Morse and the Dregs, Larry Carlton w/Steely Dan, Holdsworth, Ronnie Montrose's Mutatis Muntandis, you name the blues player, that sounded like Satch for a second, Vai, ect. ect. But I can do the same with the hords of Yngwie, or Petrucci, or Cacophony influenced guys. Sure the blues is the blues and jazz is jazz but he seems to have a great flowing feel for all of it. Jazz, blues, boogie, metal that in itself speaks volumns.

Why don't you play them for us.

I don't get the "starting to suck" thing...that was wasted on me.

You shouldn't get your oversized panties in a bunch...Meedles and I had calm, cool and undefensive responses simply stating our opinions, not contradicting yours. No one claimed anyone said he sucked. I just like him and don't hear Vai myself...that's all.

Actually, he's the best thing since luncheon meats.:worship:lol:

Rule #1, don't pick a fight with me where there isn't one.
You stated your opinions, and I stated mine. No biggie.
If we all liked the same thing, this place would be boring:)
And my panties are neither in a bunch, or oversized. They are one size too small...

He's not your thing...no big deal. Who would you rather listen to?

I think Vai is a great player and has a lot of brilliant moments, but I don't particularly enjoy an entire album of him. Tender Surrender, Blue Powder and Christmas Time Is Here...brilliant! But there's also a lot that I don't enjoy so much.

I'd rather listen to Gilbert, Lane, Howe, Friedman or Becker if I wanted a shred fix. That being said, Erotic Cakes, which is the only cd of his I own, DOES get played a bit from time to time here. As for Vai, his post ALS recorded output is missing that fire he has on his earlier work. I do like what I've seen/heard from his recent tour. Live, however, Vai is the ultimate showman.

Like the time he played an open E and ZOMGZ SO DID STEEV VEYE?!!!???!!!

But seriously don't waste your time grasping for straws, I've probably listened to a lot more Guthrie than you have so you're not going to be able to point out something I haven't already heard.

Remind me to bitchslap you later! :)
There's no straw to be grasping at. You just don't want to admit the Vai-age on Erotic Cakes:p :Spin:

I wouldn't be able to say whether he sounds like Vai or not, and don't claim to be an expert on his stuff by any stretch, but from what I've heard, he hasn't excited me or impressed me like I was expecting given how many people are in awe of him...

Rule #1, don't pick a fight with me where there isn't one.
You stated your opinions, and I stated mine. No biggie.
If we all liked the same thing, this place would be boring:)
And my panties are neither in a bunch, or oversized. They are one size too small...

I'd rather listen to Gilbert, Lane, Howe, Friedman or Becker if I wanted a shred fix. That being said, Erotic Cakes, which is the only cd of his I own, DOES get played a bit from time to time here. As for Vai, his post ALS recorded output is missing that fire he has on his earlier work. I do like what I've seen/heard from his recent tour. Live, however, Vai is the ultimate showman.

There's no straw to be grasping at. You just don't want to admit the Vai-age on Erotic Cakes:p :Spin:

Rule #2...don't misconstrue one's tone on the internet...there is no fight...I have no interest in that nonsense...that's why I enjoy this board.

I really don't like Friedman anywhere but with Megadeth. His solo stuff is very boring to me.

See, I wouldn't compare Gilbert or Becker to Govan...different kind of players. Howe, Lane, sure.

Govan is much more blues and jazz based than Vai...like razor said...I hear Morse, Ford and Carlton before Vai.

I dig Govan...it's good to my ear...that's all.

I'll be sure to get all lathered first. There's nothing to admit, Guthrie just flat-out does NOT sound like Vai. Then again, there are also people who thing that SX and DT sounds alike...I think those people are aurally deficient.

I'm in the same boat J Dub is... Guthrie is great with flawless technique, but when I hear him play, its almost like I'm listening to the best session guitarist in the world... there is nothing identifiable about him to me... compared to say a Mattias Eklundh where I can hear it right away.

He probably could be the the best (or at least in volume of work and level of pay) session player in the business. I really don't see where the whole lack of identity thing is coming from though...the guy's definitely got a voice.

And don't even get me started on Mattias:puke: (75% serious, 25% intended to poke fun and J-dubb:p)

He probably could be the the best (or at least in volume of work and level of pay) session player in the business. I really don't see where the whole lack of identity thing is coming from though...the guy's definitely got a voice.

And don't even get me started on Mattias:puke: (75% serious, 25% intended to poke fun and J-dubb:p)

I'd be willing to bet I could pick him out of a crowd...even on tone alone.

I don't dig Mattias...I can appreciate his thing, but it's just not for my ear.

+2 (one point for each point you made)

I always feel bad even talking about mattias because the guy has got some skill, but it's ruined by his absolutely horrible tone and uncanny ability to turn a good, catchy pop tune into noise with his solos. Freak Kitchen is the only band I can think of that I listen to where I fast-foward the guitar solos. He seems like a really cool guy though and he'd probably be a blast to have a beer with.

Horrible tone? I actually prefer a straight into the amp sound, without a shit-ton of processing/effects. I've now twice stood in front of his half stacks live, at full roar, and had zero issues with his sound/tone coming from his Laneys.

He's got LOTS of skill, more of which I see everytime I have an opportunity to hang out with him. Before heading out for his birthday bash this year, we got to listen to him just farting around on an acoustic, and it was magical. I have also heard the finished guitar parts of the next FK cd, and this could be their best effort yet. Even though I am a die hard fanboi, Organic, their most recent cd, took a while to grow on me.

As a person, Mattias is by far one of the coolest people I've had the pleasure to meet (as are Chris & Bjorn). He's got a great attitude, is funny as hell, and really seems to enjoy talking to fans & non-fans alike. Very generous with his time. Hope they get offered a spot at the Texas festival this year...