Guthrie Govan

Mattias and Guthrie are both awesome, fair enough? :lol:

Mattias seems to be a great guy. I would love to be able to hang out with him, he is bonkers :loco: Great player but I would like to see him play with less tremolo (or see if he can without one at all) :lol:

Mattias and Guthrie are both awesome, fair enough? :lol:

Mattias seems to be a great guy. I would love to be able to hang out with him, he is bonkers :loco: Great player but I would like to see him play with less tremolo (or see if he can without one at all) :lol:

No, not good enough, I'm working a long shift tonight, and I need the pointless bickering to keep me awake!

IA can play quite well without a trem, as he did at Prog Power this year, debuting the Caparison Applehorn Jazz, which is a fixed bridge guitar. Not to mention, he has the chops to pull off almost anything...

There's a great player you should check out then....Guth...Guthree? Guthree Guvin? Something like that.

Oh, that bearded hippie looking fuck that steals from Steve Vai?
What's he like? :lol: :p:p:p :Spin:

No, not good enough, I'm working a long shift tonight, and I need the pointless bickering to keep me awake!

IA can play quite well without a trem, as he did at Prog Power this year, debuting the Caparison Applehorn Jazz, which is a fixed bridge guitar. Not to mention, he has the chops to pull off almost anything...

Without trying to turn this into a Caparison discussion... (teeheehee) have you ever played a regular Horus J-Dub? I know you have an Applehorn, and I'm curious as to whether they actually do have more sustain or not...

Originally Posted by Meedleyx10
Then again, there are also people who thing that SX and DT sounds alike...I think those people are aurally deficient.

& Prog: + A BILLION!!!

hope you bones aint refering to me and my comments about similarities while saying this. Anyone thast doesnt hear the compositional structure similarities is as aurally deficient as those that dont hear the differences....... just in case :heh:
-----------------------------
Thought this thread was about whats good about Govan, not whos "better"......... let me check the title....... yep, just says Guthrie Govan :heh:
Freak Kitchen ey ? on the check list
Vai was one of the pioneers that expanded the realm of axe attack, it would be expected he'd be an influence
If Govan played a Caparison would he be better or a copycat? :p

Not referring to you intentionally, but if you really think SX and DT sound alike, then yes...my statement does apply to you. That or you just aren't listening.

Nobody has said a single thing about somebody being better than somebody else. Besides, if you are bothered by a topic on the SX forum progressing into something else, then I think you might be in the wrong place.

Without trying to turn this into a Caparison discussion... (teeheehee) have you ever played a regular Horus J-Dub? I know you have an Applehorn, and I'm curious as to whether they actually do have more sustain or not...

Nope, never have, unfortunately, but my next guitar will probably be an Horus. I bought the Applehorn blind, figuring I'd be able to dump it if I didn't like it. With the addition of "the pickup of destiny" that guitar is 100% a complete Ibanez killer. The Aurora has great sustain, and coupled with the PH-R, it sounds chunky and mean...:headbang:

Horrible tone? I actually prefer a straight into the amp sound, without a shit-ton of processing/effects. I've now twice stood in front of his half stacks live, at full roar, and had zero issues with his sound/tone coming from his Laneys.
*high five* I'm all about the straight guitar/amp tone (and Laneys!).

Edit: (wow, this post sucks, sorry, back onto whatever topic you guys are on, haha)

Has Guthrie been featured in any more guitar magazine articles either than the one with the transcription of Wonderful Slippery Thing?

He contributes regularly to Guitar Techniques magazine, but to date (as far as I know) he hasn't had any more transcriptions of his own songs on there. I haven't seen him (other than maybe a brief mention) in any other magazines though.