Guys, help a fellow metal guy apply his makeup.

woosta

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
So I was watching this new(?) show on FUSE today called "Heavy Metal Makeover". They have these 3 Hot Topic girls grabbing this guy from NY, hauling him to Trash & Vaudeville (booooooring!), getting him pierced, tattooed, and then having him sing in a club to shock his friends. What I found shocking was the fact that they told him how to apply his metal makeup. Yes, his metal fucking makeup. Now I know I"m oldschool but the day someone sits me down with some Hot Topic chained shirt and begins to tell me how I should apply my eye liner, well, I'm out friends.

Has anyone else seen this show and are they all this bad? Even the guy's gay friend said "I didn't think he'd look so Goth". Anyone could see that it had little to do with metal. Should I be angry or happy that "metal", although bastardized, is getting attention on FUSE? Really, the guy looked like a fucking clown who was caught in a swinger's club with just his face makeup. :erk:

It's just the entertainment version of "metal." The entertainment/pop culture sides and music/art sides are quite different.

Barking Pumpkin said:
It's just the entertainment version of "metal." The entertainment/pop culture sides and music/art sides are quite different.

Like the VH1 shows that try to act like they know what metal is all about, and its essentially just THE LYRICS MUST BE LIKE A MOTLEY CRUE SONG AND YOU MUST LOOK LIKE ZAKK WYLDE OR ELSE YOU ARE NOT METAL! OMG WTF OLOL!!11 Then they have a bunch of actors and comedians that have no business talking about metal because they don't know jack shit about it talk about whats metal and whats not. Give me a fucking break.

I stopped caring about the mainstream media a long time ago.

Oh, I don't care for the most part, but I mean it's just sooooo far off base that I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

woosta said:
Oh, I don't care for the most part, but I mean it's just sooooo far off base that I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

well if you really don't care, then the appropriate response would be to neither laugh nor cry but to just shrug and say "whatever" :)

I would only care because I"m protective of this style of music. 22+ years into hard rock and metal makes one defend it in times like this. So I care only in that I would like kids not to think that metal has to be a drag and clown show to be into it. Not everyone gets to see our types of shows so maybe all they know is what is told to them on this type of show. Just lamenting that I sure would like to see a proper metal show on tv once. Just once.

fragility said:
why should there be any fashion associated with liking a particular type of music?

If this was true, you should cut your hair and dress like a mannequin in the window at the Gap.

Face it, image matters, even in metal. If it didn't, no one would have given Yngwie shit when he was a fat fuck and insisted on wearing skin tight leather pants and billowy pirate shirts.

Yngvai X said:
If this was true, you should cut your hair and dress like a mannequin in the window at the Gap.

Face it, image matters, even in metal. If it didn't, no one would have given Yngwie shit when he was a fat fuck and insisted on wearing skin tight leather pants and billowy pirate shirts.

Matt, the Gap is for 30-40 year-olds who still wear wrangler and guess jeans.

Besides, YOU'RE a pirate shirt.

Yngvai X said:

I can't count the number of times I've been told 'you don't look/dress like you listen to metal' to which I have rarely been bothered to use the energy to reply.